Sponsored by:

Real C7 pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
if you're talking about the C5 (?) then it's Dave McLellan that was it's father. The design and mechanics were already finalized before Hill took over. The LS1, the rear transaxle... all also from McLellan.

The C5 was to be introduced as a 1994 or 95. The design was already cemented a year or two before then.
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't see that much was "finalized" before Hill took over. I will give you that major mechanics and hydro-forming the rails were pretty far down the road with McLellan on the CERV IV. But McLellan was already retired when Hill introduced the CERV IV to execs at the Tech Center in Warren in May of '93. Hardly finalized.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

if you're talking about the C5 (?) then it's Dave McLellan that was it's father. The design and mechanics were already finalized before Hill took over. The LS1, the rear transaxle... all also from McLellan.

The C5 was to be introduced as a 1994 or 95. The design was already cemented a year or two before then.
I didn't say anything about fatherhood. I made specific comments on specific developments in the Corvette program post-McLellan which were directly attributed to Dave Hill's efforts. Dave Hill championed mass reduction and tighter panel fit. And Dave Hill spoke against steering wheel buttons.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't see that much was "finalized" before Hill took over.
You are now corrected.
Have you read McLellans book? I have a dealer video with the introduction of the C5. In one scene, you can actually see McLellan.

McLellan was a Porsche guy; Hill a Cadillac guy (Allante). Without any other info.... who do you think gave us the C5?

Mclellan retired in 1992. Production of the C5 (if had been kept on schedule) would of started in 1993; released as a 1994 model.

Originally Posted by Jinx
I didn't say anything about fatherhood. I made specific comments on specific developments in the Corvette program post-McLellan which were directly attributed to Dave Hill's efforts. Dave Hill championed mass reduction and tighter panel fit. And Dave Hill spoke against steering wheel buttons.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM
CMC1998
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats this...........jr3 ?????
Old 09-01-2012, 06:42 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't look like a Corvette, so....
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

You are now corrected.
Have you read McLellans book? I have a dealer video with the introduction of the C5. In one scene, you can actually see McLellan.

McLellan was a Porsche guy; Hill a Cadillac guy (Allante). Without any other info.... who do you think gave us the C5?

Mclellan retired in 1992. Production of the C5 (if had been kept on schedule) would of started in 1993; released as a 1994 model.
But it wasn't started in 1993, was it? Here is what I know...
"Meanwhile, work on the new model continued, and in December 1992, the Corvette design group secretly contracted with TDM, Inc., to build a prototype of the proposed C5. The Test car was officially called CERV-4. Gm management was not told about the project, however in fear they would cancel it.

The following May, Corvette Chief Engineer Dave Hill, a former Cadillac engineer who had recently replaced Dave McLellan in that position, unveiled the CERV-4 at GM's Tech Center in Warren, Michigan. Up until that point, most of the hundreds of people in attendance didn't have a clue that the $1.2-million test car was being built.

In June 1993, Dave Hill and Corvette program manager Russ McLean met with the GM Strategy Board, including then president Jack Smith. The goal of the meeting was to seek approval for Concept Initiation of the 1997 Corvette program. THe plan was endorsed and Jim Perkins proudly announced that a 5th Gen Corvette would be produced, with production slated for the 1997 model year.
CERV IV was nothing more than a C4 with the all new powertrain and interior in it. Beyond that, IDK.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It kind of makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing that when I get into my C5Z in an about 2 hours I'll be getting into a car that had to be completely secret to be developed. A car that fruited one of the best Corvettes GM ever built.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
It kind of makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing that when I get into my C5Z in an about 2 hours I'll be getting into a car that had to be completely secret to be developed. A car that fruited one of the best Corvettes GM ever built.

The CERV4 was developed in secret. The C5 was not. Two completely different cars, one a true bin car of a C4 with a different engine and drive train in it and the C5 was a completely finished car with a completely different everything from the CERV4.

Oh well, you can be warm and fuzzy with a few shots too!

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Real C7 pictures.