Sponsored by:

Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
It does suck to go to a big automotive event and have your favorite marque be a no-show.

As for numbers seen, I thought you were including cars you saw around town. Those other marques do tend to flock there that weekend.
I'm sure that is true but the real issue is marketing to a qualified audience to try to steal market share where they can.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

They can only debut C7 once. Compared to Pebble Beach weekend, NAIAS seems like the better bet. C7 has no chance of being the star of Pebble Beach, and it's not the mainstream media draw that NAIAS seems to be. C7 could very well be the star of NAIAS.

Now, if they were to debut the next ZR1 at Pebble Beach, that could be very effective. Different demo, better suited, I think. If it's too soon to talk about the car, just put the ZR1 engine on a stand next to the base engine and a base car without comment and let people go all atwitter.

Whether such an appearance makes sense in the budget, I have no idea.

.Jinx
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

No, the only Porsche function I saw was the German Car event at Rancho Canada and the test and drive at the Quail Lodge next to the Baja Cantina. They've done the Quail now for a few years but no big deal as you can only test drive their generic stuff. Your photos of Carmel appear to be on a back street next to Little Napoli Italian Restaurant presumably by the local Porsche dealer. Not a huge effort.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BlueOx
... I totally agree this huge event has more sales potential than anything in the world. That is why it is such a big mistake for Corvette to be absent.

Rather dismissive of the really BIG shows that are coming up huh?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
Good God ! Somebody mentioned Pebble is too crowded .OK , a crowd of car lovers from all over the world would be a great place to show the C7. Next year at Pebble, the C7 will already be old news. As for showing the Malibu, no, the Ox is talking about showing the C7 ! As for showing the C6 interior,no, he was talking about the incredible C7 interior that has already been seen by quite a few, incuding the dealer principal from where I bought mine.
Well said...exactly what I meant.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by skank
No, the only Porsche function I saw was the German Car event at Rancho Canada and the test and drive at the Quail Lodge next to the Baja Cantina. They've done the Quail now for a few years but no big deal as you can only test drive their generic stuff. Your photos of Carmel appear to be on a back street next to Little Napoli Italian Restaurant presumably by the local Porsche dealer. Not a huge effort.
It was a hellova lot more of an effort than Corvette made anywhere in Carmel.

You appear to be ignoring the Porsche tent/display on Sunday just north of the Pebble Beach Pro Shop along with Caddy, SRT, Jag, etc. Maybe in your world they don't count...I did show the pics. You are also ignoring the complete absence of Corvette from any of the shows.

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-23-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
They can only debut C7 once. Compared to Pebble Beach weekend, NAIAS seems like the better bet. C7 has no chance of being the star of Pebble Beach, and it's not the mainstream media draw that NAIAS seems to be. C7 could very well be the star of NAIAS.

Now, if they were to debut the next ZR1 at Pebble Beach, that could be very effective. Different demo, better suited, I think. If it's too soon to talk about the car, just put the ZR1 engine on a stand next to the base engine and a base car without comment and let people go all atwitter.

Whether such an appearance makes sense in the budget, I have no idea.

.Jinx
I really didn't expect Corvette C7 to be the 'star' of the show(s). I also don't expect it to "debut" at the Concours. I expected some general Corvette display and some C7 'teasers' to entice potential customers with some info that might draw them away from Porsche, Viper and others.

I could also see a ZR1 debut at Pebble Beach next year as the 'base' C7 will be older news by then.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

It would a natural to show at Detroit, Chicago, New York, and still do something at Pebble. Everybody is at Pebble Beach where only some are at the auto shows. And there are Europeans all over at Pebble. I talked to the global sales manager of Pagani and he was certainly aware of the ZR1 Nurburgring time as we discussed this at length. He was very impressed with Corvette. I think there are more Corvette fans in Europe than we can imagine. That's why the C7 design is going global.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Rather dismissive of the really BIG shows that are coming up huh?
No, I don't really know which shows have more qualified buyers. A lot of the really big U.S. shows seem to be largely press and car company personnel with a smattering of the average Joe car buyer. Pebble Beach seems to have a LOT of qualified buyers, but that is just a guess.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

It would a natural to show at Detroit, Chicago, New York, and still do something at Pebble. Everybody is at Pebble Beach where only some are at the auto shows. And there are Europeans all over at Pebble. I talked to the global sales manager of Pagani and he was certainly aware of the ZR1 Nurburgring time as we discussed this at length. He was very impressed with Corvette. I think there are more Corvette fans in Europe than we can imagine. That's why the C7 design is going global.
I certainly hope you are correct in this. But they have to be more than "fans", they have to be Corvette BUYERS! The U.S. market is fine but it just isn't cutting it these days as far as sales are concerned.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

The Europeans go gaga over the Vette at Le Mans. We talked about that as well. They just dig that deep rumble. This C7 is going to sell like crazy in the states and really take off in Europe.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance too crowded? At $250 admission fee? Not hard economic times for everyone, I guess.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

The Europeans go gaga over the Vette at Le Mans. We talked about that as well. They just dig that deep rumble. This C7 is going to sell like crazy in the states and really take off in Europe.
Basing this on what? C6 sales in Europe have sucked from what I know. They even suck here in the U.S. these days.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

I see more and more Vettes in the South of France every time I go there. You can rent Porsches and Vettes right at the Nice Airport. And there are lots of Vettes in Northern Europe.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by 235265283...
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance too crowded? At $250 admission fee? Not hard economic times for everyone, I guess.
$200 if you bought before the 19th like I did.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
As I have said many times, I think GM is losing the PR/marketing war with the C7 (and Corvette overall) with their silence and that notion was completely reinforced during my recent trip to the Carmel street auto show and the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this last weekend.
I do agree with the OP that Chevy's/Corvettes PR and Ad campaigns are lame in the extreme, probably why they recently got rid of the marketing dude. I'm still trying to ponder the meaning of "Chevy runs deep" and the boring multi-page "technical discussions"/ads in recent issues of the buff mags. Where is the emphasis on technical details of the Vette, or it's performance at the Nuerburgring, or basics such as it's lighter weight/more power, better-balanced chassis as well as power delivery compared to a 911? It's so frustrating for those of us in love with Vettes to see Chevy unable to grasp how to present this wondrous car to the world.

As a frequent attender for the week at Monterey, I know it's a very tough sell for anything American. It's the one week a year when a never-driven-because-the-owner-it terrified-it-will-break-down Pagani or Ferrari can be shown off. However, with the brand-new 427 convertible just out, couldn't Chevy have done SOMETHING?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No point in showing up with a Fisher Price interior.

Get notified of new replies

To Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Great Photos, thank you for posting.

I have been standing by reading, listening, and putting all of this together. IMHO, I think this is the beginning of the end of the Corvette line. Don't call me Dr. Doom, and please read this post with and OPEN mind.

I think there are many reasons why you did not see Corvette represented by GM at the Pebble Beach, and if you really look back during the run of the C6 generation, you plainly see the Corvette not making many of the high end shows around the works, sure you may have one or two, but you do not have that same publicity you seen with the C5. I think its as plain as the nose on your face why this is happening. Only a year ago, there was talk about dropping the Corvette Race Program...that managed to squeek by another couple of years. But remember Joh Moss and the Special Vehicile Development Department at GM....GONE. DId you know GM is going into its warehouses and selling more and more of its stored cars? Remember the loss of Pontiac, Olds, Hummer, etc., all gone. There is a trend here, and its NOT just because GM is still underwater. GM is re-inveting itself and its products. You will see more GM products released in CHINA the next few years and then making there way to the US. GM is becoming GLOBAL, and cuts will be made to make this company profitable, and yes I am afraid, CORVETTE will be a victim of GM having to be profitable. GM just cannot afford the luxury of these shows anymore.... Boring adds, means less creative PR company, less creative means cheaper to hire. They are not getting the message out us CAR people want to hear, but they are getting a message out to the PUBLIC.

My other reasons are this, first and formost, US regulation for saftey and gas consumtion are going to get much worse in the next few years. Sorry but this is going to remain a problem, as gas increases in price, even a Corvette getting 34 MPG will not be able to compete with cars getting 50 plus MPG and Gas prices over $10.00/gallon. Several EPA/DOE studies have shown, if the US DOES NOT tap its own resources, and remains dependent upon foreign oil sources, prices will raise or double the current prices in less then 6 years. Growth and demand will remain high in China and Inda, and more developing countries in Africa, and South America will increase its appetite for oil products.

Amercian Economy, Middle Class purchase power is declining and will continue to decline, and the Corvette has always been aimed to the upper middle class. Camaro will and is going to outsell Corvette, for performance cars. Simply put, middle class has less disposible income to pay for a second car that costs an average of $60,000. Especially when food, gas, utilities, health care, and other living expenses continue to increase at a 5% annual rate. I am sure a report will be released soon stating the US Middle Class is shrinking, and they are not going to the upper class. Welfare, Food Stamps and other Federal programs have almost doubled in the past 5 years. This is not a good sign..

More reasons the recent poll plainly indicates GM tends to market the Corvette to the 30-40 age group, yet the 50-60+ is still the largest customer base.

The 50-60+ folks who purchase the car, its there version of own a Caddy, like their fathers inspired to do. So as the 50-60 folks get older, sales will drop, simple fact, age. I know there will be exceptions, but I am talking bulk here.

While the 40-50 group move into the 50-60+ group, I am SURE there version of a dream car will be Luxury Coupes, because that is what they admired when they were young... So BMW, MB, Jaguar, Lexus, etc. HIGH END cars will file that spot, and yes Caddy will make a big comeback here.

So you can see where this trend is going, GM is going to have a very expensive Sports Car, they will be unable to market or sell in great enough numbers to make it profitable.

Next reason, GM does NOT listen to its customers, it listens to its bean counters. How many years have Corvette owners cried out to Chevy to produce a better interior, not a cheap plastic interior, but something on the lines of a 70K sports car, or luxury sedan. Has GM EVER delivered this? NO, and again why? Simply put, GM and Chevy focused on car performance and horsepower, and knowing it current market, knew this would sell the car, and they are willing to take the complaints about the interior, because NOBODY is not going to buy the car because of the interior, but would NOT buy this car if it had less or inferior HP or Performance. So as we go into the C7, you will hear GM/Chevy talk about the entirely refashioned interior, but take a close look at what you have, most likely more plastic carbon fiber, fancier look, but same materials, wolf in sheep's clothing. Because GM DOES NOT want to add more expense while keeping the HP and Performance alive.

Certain new trend will happen during the C7 such as you will start to see a decline during the third year of generation release. There will be a C8 and that is when you will see Corvette in the survival mode, much smaller, less HP, and much more inexpensive, dropping this down to the $40K range.

Mark my words, this is the direction of the Corvette, and I truely believe the C8 will be the last generation of Corvette as we know it, it will meet its demise.

Look, I am a proud Corvette owner, have 2 of them, and am like every other Corvette owner, couting the days for the release of the C7, but I also do not keep my head in the sand, and analyze the intelligence that is out there. Like EVERY automobile name plate, Corvette will have a run, and its run is coming to a close.

OK let the flamming begin.....

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-23-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is interesting that here's Corvette celebrating its 60th anniversary, and not a peep about it at Pebble Beach.

It may be the same old C6 but it was conspicuously absent.

GM can play its hiding-the-C7 games but to let PB go by without even a sneak peek of the C7 is weird.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Nice pictures. The fourth picture down, i.e., the Burgundy Ferrari is very similar to what the C7 will look like. GM's version, that is.
I would really love that, and I see the resemblance.
The curves on that Ferrari are very sensual.
Even though that latest video has warmed me up on the C7, GM traded curves for edges.
I'm trying, but I'm not an "edgy" guy.
Like hugging a robot.

Quick Reply: Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing