Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I have read all of the replies, and my thoughts are that it would be nice if GM would begin to make an effort to get the Corvette to appeal to a more upscale buyer, in addition to it's current buyers. Keep in mind the the Vette is no longer and has not been for some time a 40K sports car. My 2010 GS vert stickered for 75K, and loaded C7's will be more.
The competition for really nice sports cars for under 100K is drastically increasing, and most are aimed at upscale buyers that are not overly concerned if their car can do 0-60 in 4.2 rather than 4.8! The new Porsche Boxster S is stunning and a fabulous car to drive. (I have test-driven it). Jaguar is showing it's F-Type 2 door, 2 seat convertible next month at the Paris show, and it will be out next year. Alfa has already shown the stunning 4C which hits the streets next year. Mercedes is now selliing the new SLK AMG. BMW is coming out with the new M3. If Chevy wants to continue to take the attitude that it's main competition is Ford and Dodge (or SRT, but to me it is still a Dodge), and design and market the Vette in that direction, then so be it. To me, that looks like the direction that the C7 is going. I say this because my gut tells me that the car will look like the Jalopnik P.O.S. that we have all seen, will not have a long list of options as does many other sports cars, will have an interior that may be on par with Caddy, but not the European cars, and will still offer their P.O.S. automatic tranny as opposed to a true DCT. We shall see.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
OK let the flamming begin.....
EB,

No flamming (flaming?) here. Good post, even though I don't agree completely with each and every one of the factors you articulate to support your vision. I know you will understand that I'm not being critical when I say that I hope you are wrong.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
HZ3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Goodenough Motors a break guys... Those soccer uniforms must have cost alot of money....
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
frost2
7th Gear

Thanks for sharing the pictures. That Boxster S is a nice looking car. It's ashamed it doesn't have more power. I guess Porsche doesn't want to cannabalize the sales of the 991. That 991S is also nice but way out of my price range.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frost2
Thanks for sharing the pictures. That Boxster S is a nice looking car. It's ashamed it doesn't have more power. I guess Porsche doesn't want to cannabalize the sales of the 991. That 991S is also nice but way out of my price range.
You're welcome...I have a ton more of the Carmel and Pebble Beach events but it is just a pain to publish them all.

I have to say the the car I wanted to spend more time looking at and getting closer to was the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento. I didn't get a good shot at the interior but it was sick.

I have never seen a transaxle that open to the atmosphere and the exhaust pipes sticking out of the wing supports was very cool. Plus, the rear lower 'spoiler' looks like it moves up and down. Just a kick-*** looking car.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I really didn't expect Corvette C7 to be the 'star' of the show(s). I also don't expect it to "debut" at the Concours. I expected some general Corvette display and some C7 'teasers' to entice potential customers with some info that might draw them away from Porsche, Viper and others.

I could also see a ZR1 debut at Pebble Beach next year as the 'base' C7 will be older news by then.
I can't see many in that kind of crowd that would be interested in the Corvette. After all, to people like that it's just another Chevy. I don't blame Chevy for not bothering.

On the other hand, they are all over the races like the American Lemans series, where I think they should be.

Last edited by JLinCA; 08-23-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I can't see many in that kind of crowd that would be interested in the Corvette. After all, to people like that it's just another Chevy. I don't blame Chevy for not bothering.

On the other hand, they are all over the races like the American Lemans series, where I think they should be.
I disagree because " car loving fools " like me are attracted to most anything with wheels.
For example: Never really cared for the Viper but I was very anxious to see the latest generation . I was hoping they changed it to my liking....they didn't
Same goes for the whole " Pebble crowd " , anybody who has a heartbeat would be curious to see a " new generation Corvette "
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

This attitude is part of the reason Corvette may have the goods to run with the best but will always be considered a "Chevy". If you don't push into "that kind of crowd", you will never change their minds about the Corvette and you will never gain market share with the likes of Porsche, BMW, etc.

I would also remind you that I was there. So were a lot of people like me. Your idea of what "that kind of crowd" consists of is very limiting. ALMS is essentially ALL the marketing Corvette is doing and IMHO, it isn't enough to grow market share.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

But there's nothing to show yet. The C7 is secret, and the C6's interior is not presentable in a show like this.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,037 Likes on 1,251 Posts

There will be a few more Vettes around Monterey next year, based on this press release:

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/press-re...sports-reunion

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by LouieM
There will be a few more Vettes around Monterey next year, based on this press release:

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/press-re...sports-reunion

Great news! That's the kind of thing I think we need to see!

I still would like to have seen something like this happen during the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Not necessarily a race-oriented event either as the ALMS events serve that purpose already. No doubt the C7R race car will be out in the public eye by that time.

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-24-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueOx
This attitude is part of the reason Corvette may have the goods to run with the best but will always be considered a "Chevy". If you don't push into "that kind of crowd", you will never change their minds about the Corvette and you will never gain market share with the likes of Porsche, BMW, etc.

I would also remind you that I was there. So were a lot of people like me. Your idea of what "that kind of crowd" consists of is very limiting. ALMS is essentially ALL the marketing Corvette is doing and IMHO, it isn't enough to grow market share.
I understand how you feel, I really do. I bleed Corvette, even though I could have afforded much more expensive cars. No matter how much I can afford, I will always be ordering that Chevy,

But

To me, and I this is just my opinion, I don't think the Vette fits into that kind of venue. I don't think that is the type of crowd Chevy is trying to wow over.

I live in CA too, in a high end area. I see all kinds of high end cars here. I don't care what Chevy does, you are NOT getting these people away from their BMWs, Mercedes and Porches. Ain't gonna happen, I don't care how many millions Chevy throws at these people in advertising.

The choices in what to drive that these people make are not grounded in reality, they are a perception of what people in this area SHOULD be driving, and trying to keep up with what their neighbors drive.

It's all about the image here in SoCal, and the foreign makes rule.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... I don't think the Vette fits into that kind of venue. I don't think that is the type of crowd Chevy is trying to wow over.

I live in CA too, in a high end area. I see all kinds of high end cars here. I don't care what Chevy does, you are NOT getting these people away from their BMWs, Mercedes and Porches. Ain't gonna happen, I don't care how many millions Chevy throws at these people in advertising.

The choices in what to drive that these people make are not grounded in reality, they are a perception of what people in this area SHOULD be driving, and trying to keep up with what their neighbors drive.

It's all about the image here in SoCal, and the foreign makes rule.
You understand the crowd that attends Pebble Beach, Babe's attendance besides the point

That is the stomping grounds of the rich and famous, or the poseurs, demanding exclusivity; pure snob appeal. Our "lowly" Chevy may be glanced at by some attendees; most would stroll right on by with their noses in the air. Even Babe would walk past since he already knows what the car is! God, it might even be embarrassing to be seen even looking at the pedestrian plastic car.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackhall99
You understand the crowd that attends Pebble Beach, Babe's attendance besides the point

That is the stomping grounds of the rich and famous, or the poseurs, demanding exclusivity; pure snob appeal. Our "lowly" Chevy may be glanced at by some attendees; most would stroll right on by with their noses in the air. Even Babe would walk past since he already knows what the car is! God, it might even be embarrassing to be seen even looking at the pedestrian plastic car.

I hated to have to say all that but it's true. I am not from here, so I am able to see the people here the way they are.

Our beloved Vette would be a joke next to those 300G cars. Sorry but that is the way it is.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I hated to have to say all that but it's true. I am not from here, so I am able to see the people here the way they are.

Our beloved Vette would be a joke next to those 300G cars. Sorry but that is the way it is.
Yes sir, you are correct.

I managed a branch complex in So Cal from '81 - '85, and one of the best days in my life was when the CEO asked me to come back to Chicago to run a department in HQ.

It was a beautiful area, populated with many great people. I made friends with so many of them. However the horde of plastic asses I met really turned me off
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I live in a county in Maryland that has similar income rankings and where GM has done very well is with it's Suburbans, Denalis, and Escalades. Not to mention that I find them to be very well made and very nice to drive.

The rich will buy a KIA if the attributes are there.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by John T
I live in a county in Maryland that has similar income rankings and where GM has done very well is with it's Suburbans, Denalis, and Escalades. Not to mention that I find them to be very well made and very nice to drive.

The rich will buy a KIA if the attributes are there.
California is a whole different ballgame. You have no idea if you haven't lived here.

Get notified of new replies

To Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing

Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Yes sir, you are correct.

I managed a branch complex in So Cal from '81 - '85, and one of the best days in my life was when the CEO asked me to come back to Chicago to run a department in HQ.

It was a beautiful area, populated with many great people. I made friends with so many of them. However the horde of plastic asses I met really turned me off
I could say a lot about California, but I am going to hold my tongue haha.

The weather is great though!!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

... The weather is great though!!

Lounging at poolside on Christmas day was damned enjoyable.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John T
... The rich will buy a KIA if the attributes are there.
JLinNY is correct about the California wealthy.

Quick Reply: Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing