Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing (lotsa pics!)

As I have said many times, I think GM is losing the PR/marketing war with the C7 (and Corvette overall) with their silence and that notion was completely reinforced during my recent trip to the Carmel street auto show and the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this last weekend.

Obviously, there are a LOT of cars at both events and I had a fantastic time at both. Lots of new and old cars, racers and tourers, and even a cement truck! I saw Wayne Carini, George Lucas, the head of Rolls Royce, and even a Maharaja or two.

Now I know that California is a foreign car stronghold but in the whole time I was at these events, the number of Corvettes in either show was a grand total of TWO at the Carmel event! That includes all of the manufacturer's show tents/areas (including BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, SRT, Cadillac, etc) at the Concours d’Elegance and the concept/new 'green' area that also included Aston Martin, the Hennessey Viper, LFA, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc.

TWO Corvettes! No celebration of Corvette...no Corvette concepts...no Corvette racing history...no C7 teasers. No NOTHING in one of the biggest sports car markets in the U.S.! I was pretty P.O.ed.

And on the highways up and down the coast I saw more Lambos and Ferraris than Corvettes.

I know Porsche is huge in Northern California and that was certainly reflected in the numbers at both the Carmel street show and at the Concours d’Elegance. This is one of THE markets Corvette needs to penetrate and it is clear they are ceding it by their silence.

BTW, the Caddy tent was well done, though there weren't a lot of folks in that area when I was there. Older concepts inside with new models out front. As an aside, I was sitting in the XTS (many think the C7 will get a comparable interior quality) to get a feel for it and was less than impressed with the interior COMPARED to the new Porsche interiors I saw. As I was sitting there, a spectator walked up to me and asked me how I liked the seat. I said I thought it was pretty good and he told me he didn't care for it, enough so that he had just bought a Lexus instead and was very happy with it.

Coming back to see all the overall negative guessing here only reinforces this opinion. GM has a huge problem. Even IF they knock it out of the ballpark with the C7 (which looking at a lot of the competition is hard to imagine), they are allowing other cars to completely own the stage by providing no information that might give these potential future customers pause to wait for the C7.

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Beautiful pics...I spend hours going through Pebble Beach pics and no wonder you haven't been on the forum- I would lose my mind there.

About marketing- You are correct, it should have been at Pebble, it should be at Carlisle Corvettes this weekend. Even if it was just a body shell it should have made an appearance . Maybe too many C6s still in inventory????
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

PS. I spotted Carini behind that Rolls speedster!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
Beautiful pics...I spend hours going through Pebble Beach pics and no wonder you haven't been on the forum- I would lose my mind there.

About marketing- You are correct, it should have been at Pebble, it should be at Carlisle Corvettes this weekend. Even if it was just a body shell it should have made an appearance . Maybe too many C6s still in inventory????
Thanks...I would love to have another day to have seen it all as it is very overwhelming to absorb it all in one day! That is why I have about 300 more pictures to look through!

I certainly understand the idea of C6s left to sell but it wasn't mentioned either!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,155 Likes on 516 Posts

I don't know what you are talking about. I've been a class host at the Concours for a few years now and the featured cars are rotated in when the manufacturers are bringing new vehicles to market. There were absolutely no new Porsches at either event. They had a test and drive at the Quail just like they have every year. Jag, Mercedes, Bentley,Land Rover all do the same at Quail. This year was AC and AC Cobra as the featured mark. Next year it could be Corvette for all we know as it changes from year to year. Hope this clears this up as there were Corvette fans at other events throughout the week. Maybe next year will be our turn !!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by skank
I don't know what you are talking about. I've been a class host at the Concours for a few years now and the featured cars are rotated in when the manufacturers are bringing new vehicles to market. There were absolutely no new Porsches at either event.
Then you were not there because I sat in 2 new Porsches in Carmel...a Panamera and a Boxster S and saw a number of new Porsches at the PORSCHE TENT at Pebble Beach. I have the pics to prove it. Here is one of them...

And here is the tent/booth at the Concours...look like new Porsches to me!!!

Carmel...there was a Panamera (interior only) there also but I didn't get an exterior pic of it.

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-22-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

You're delusional. I work there as a class host. Maybe off site but certainly not in the show.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice pictures. The fourth picture down, i.e., the Burgundy Ferrari is very similar to what the C7 will look like. GM's version, that is.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

There is manufacturer involvement at numerous events throughout the week from Tuesday to Sunday. You will see different displays at the Hanger party at the Jet Center, Concourso Italiano, The Quail, all which are becoming as big as the Concours D'elegance. Plus numerous smaller events throughout the week. Then there are the Monterey Historics which has more people than any of them.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

You're delusional. I work there as a class host. Maybe off site but certainly not in the show.
Who is delusional? They were there...do you not see the pics?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance? Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.

Corvette was the featured marque a few years back, as I recall.

Maybe their absence as a manufacturer is part of the "Chevrolet problem." Probably not a lot of people itching to check out the Malibu at Pebble Beach.

I don't imagine many Corvettes are allowed at the Concorso Italiano, though I think some Italian coachbuilt Corvettes have made appearances before.

Of course you know that most of the Porsches, Lambos, and Ferraris you saw were a function of their owners showing up. Maybe it's because their owners are rich. Maybe too many Corvette owners have seen it all before and aren't impressed -- lodging costs, traffic, yikes. Perhaps some blame should be cast in the appropriate Events forum toward us west-coast slackers for failing to do our part.

Did you get to the Monterey Historic Races? Corvettes usually show up there

As for the message of marketing doom, same old same old. Maybe they could have sold some C6s if they'd bothered to bring some, but that's a really noisy space to pitch an aged product. In fact, maybe they weren't there to save the embarassment. Do you really want somebody checking out the C6 interior in that environment?

.Jinx
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BlueOx
As I have said many times, I think GM is losing the PR/marketing war with the C7 (and Corvette overall) with their silence ....

GM can manage the announcement of the C7 as they see fit.

Your opinion counts to you and another 50, 100 or so members on CF. To the general automobile public? They are titillated by the Road & Track and other magazine articles, but are not losing sleep over the lack of information coming out of GM. They are anticipating a new Corvette.

GM marketing does not care what the CF few thinks.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jinx

Maybe their absence as a manufacturer is part of the "Chevrolet problem." Probably not a lot of people itching to check out the Malibu at Pebble Beach.

I don't imagine many Corvettes are allowed at the Concorso Italiano, though I think some Italian coachbuilt Corvettes have made appearances before.

Of course you know that most of the Porsches, Lambos, and Ferraris you saw were a function of their owners showing up. Maybe it's because their owners are rich. Maybe too many Corvette owners have seen it all before and aren't impressed -- lodging costs, traffic, yikes. Perhaps some blame should be cast in the appropriate Events forum toward us west-coast slackers for failing to do our part.

As for the message of marketing doom, same old same old. Maybe they could have sold some C6s if they'd bothered to bring some, but that's a really noisy space to pitch an aged product. In fact, maybe they weren't there to save the embarassment. Do you really want somebody checking out the C6 interior in that environment?

.Jinx
Well stated my friend, on all points.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx

.Jinx
Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.
Yeah it's too crowded because NOBODY goes there?? Pretty good one there...

Yeah, that really helps the marque now when they really need it!

Of course you know that most of the Porsches, Lambos, and Ferraris you saw were a function of their owners showing up.
Not so much when I am showing you the FACTORY tents and or displays on site...

I did not but would have loved to...I doubt the factory had any show there but would love it if they had.

As for the message of marketing doom, same old same old.
Well, the same old same old SILENCE continues...by GM. Of course I don't really want them to talk about a C6...but something would have been better than nothing.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Relax, Hopefully they will be featured next year when the C7 comes out. Obviously Chevrolet is not going to promote this year as we are in a transition. All the manufacturers promote when they have new models to show. It happens every year. I met Horacio Pagani last year and he picked up fifteen orders of the Huayra(1.5 million) when we talked to them. This huge event has more sales potential than anything in the world. I would wager that Corvette will do something big next year. It only makes sense.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It does suck to go to a big automotive event and have your favorite marque be a no-show.

As for numbers seen, I thought you were including cars you saw around town. Those other marques do tend to flock there that weekend.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by jackhall99

GM can manage the announcement of the C7 as they see fit.

Your opinion counts to you and another 50, 100 or so members on CF. To the general automobile public? They are titillated by the Road & Track and other magazine articles, but are not losing sleep over the lack of information coming out of GM. They are anticipating a new Corvette.

GM marketing does not care what the CF few thinks.
Of course they can "manage it as they see fit". They can also live with very crappy sales figures.

If you think the Northern Cal. buying public isn't an important market, so be it. I see a hell of a lot of money there and ignoring it with silence makes no sense to me. The chitty sales figures and the apparent lack of Corvette presence in the area seem a clear signal of bad news to come.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the anticipation is of a really crappy Corvette. Telling/convincing the buying public that a crappy C7 isn't the case seems like a great idea!

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-22-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Good God ! Somebody mentioned Pebble is too crowded .OK , a crowd of car lovers from all over the world would be a great place to show the C7. Next year at Pebble, the C7 will already be old news. As for showing the Malibu, no, the Ox is talking about showing the C7 ! As for showing the C6 interior,no, he was talking about the incredible C7 interior that has already been seen by quite a few, incuding the dealer principal from where I bought mine.

As for Porsche.....What a showing, a pre-fab mini Porsche dealership as a display!

As for Porsches at Pebble
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Relax, Hopefully they will be featured next year when the C7 comes out. Obviously Chevrolet is not going to promote this year as we are in a transition. All the manufacturers promote when they have new models to show. It happens every year. I met Horacio Pagani last year and he picked up fifteen orders of the Huayra(1.5 million) when we talked to them. This huge event has more sales potential than anything in the world. I would wager that Corvette will do something big next year. It only makes sense.
So you now don't want to talk about the Porsche no-shows? Still saying you were there and didn't see them?

I totally agree this huge event has more sales potential than anything in the world. That is why it is such a big mistake for Corvette to be absent.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Of course they can "manage it as they see fit". They can also live with very crappy sales figures.

If you think the Northern Cal. buying public isn't an important market, so be it. I see a hell of a lot of money there and ignoring it with silence makes no sense to me. The chitty sales figures and the apparent lack of Corvette presence in the area seem a clear signal of bad news to come.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the anticipation is of a really crappy Corvette. Telling/convincing the buying public that a crappy C7 isn't the case seems like a great idea!
Jeez Babe, get control of your emotions man!

The dip in sales is normal, if you cared enough to understand the sales cycles of the Corvette over the past 60 years. It's too early to state the death of the Corvette is nigh.

And I didn't say one thing about the No. Cal buying public. Picked that one out of somewhere, huh?

And the anticipation of a crappy C7 is only occurring with the previously mentioned 50, 100 or so members of CF pooping their pants because of conjecture. We'll see the car in a few months, and the sales will be what they are.

And the marque will continue until the C8,and then the C9 and the C10 and beyond are introduced.

Relax.

Quick Reply: Pebble Beach and thoughts on C7 vs competition's marketing