Sponsored by:

Begining of the End of the Corvette....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved the Hee Haw reference......... LMAO.

You guys are funny. Gotta love the C7 forum.

Can't wait for the car to get here, so all these doom and gloom threads will go away. Then it will be the "C7 is the greatest car ever, don't wasted your money on Ferraris" or "If it ain't a vette, it is crap" threads.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe less to develop the Volt than one might think...at least they had tech and experience in-house. Gosh, and all of this way before Mr. Obama!

GM Volt not possible without technology developed for EV1

WARREN, Mich. – The Chevrolet Volts now being delivered to enthusiastic retail customers would not have been possible without the lessons learned from previous General Motors electrification efforts.

Many of the technologies resulting from the development of the ground-breaking EV1 in the 1990s, the Two-Mode hybrid SUVs and pickup trucks and the fuel cell Chevrolet Equinox used for the Project Driveway program are part of the Volt.

"The band is back together - only this time there are fans," said former EV1 chief engineer Jon Bereisa.

Regardless of whether a vehicle uses a hydrogen-powered fuel cell, a battery charged from the grid or just recovered kinetic energy from a hybrid drive system, the electric propulsion systems feature many common components and sub-systems. Traction motors and generators, power electronics and battery management systems work in much the same way for each. Improving one type can benefit all. Each alternative drive vehicle also relies on systems like electric power assisted steering, electronic brake control and electric climate control.

While earlier vehicles were not built in mass-production numbers, many of the engineers that created them also contributed to the Volt development, including chief engineer Andrew Farah.

"By adapting sub-systems such as the EV1-descended motors developed for the front-wheel drive hybrid system and electronically controlled brakes from the fuel cell Equinox, the engineers were able to focus more resources on the new lithium ion battery and overall vehicle integration," said Farah. The hardware engineers weren't the only ones to benefit from the earlier programs. "A new drive system like this involves a lot of complex control software such as the regenerative brake blending which benefited from the Two-Mode hybrid development."

As the transportation ecosystem moves from a dependence on petroleum over the coming decades, electrification will allow vehicle engineers to separate the propulsion and energy storage systems.

"In the future, vehicles will likely combine different energy systems including batteries, ultra capacitors and hydrogen fuel cells with common and scalable electric drives systems depending on regional and application needs," said Daniel O'Connell, director of fuel cell commercialization.

And the advancements will pay off in future generations of the Volt and other electric and hybrid vehicles coming to market. Even traditional internal combustion vehicles like the new Chevrolet Cruze and the 2012 Buick LaCrosse with eAssist consume and pollute less thanks to the use of more energy efficient systems developed for electrified vehicles.

"Throughout GM's first century, internal combustion engines were the heart of the company's products. GM engineers are now using the lessons learned over the past two decades to make electric propulsion and energy storage systems a core competency for the next century," said Jamie Hresko, vice president of Global Powertrain Engineering.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

This car survived the oil crisis of the 70s and skated by with L48s when there was NO market for it and everyone is this worked up because we haven't seen the car yet in today's golden age of performance cars and styling?

Wow....
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The C7 will be a smash hit. And the Corvette will be around for a long time to come. But I must agree that if GM does not continue to change it's tune, things could change quick. The real underlying issue of all of this, is government regulation. We need less government!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Nice write up but that label is actually not warranted exclusively to the so called "baby-boomers" the oldest of whom were only 9 when the '53 was introduced.

The first Corvettes were targeted to those returning from WWII and those suffering with the austerity at home, who by the mid fifties had greater disposable income with the rapid rise in the economy of the US. Then came the "War Babies" (1941-1945), of which I'm a member, who picked up the mantle behind them. Baby-boomers came later and with their ever increasing ranks while moving into their discretionary purchasing years would then start to become more and more dominant in purchases of Corvettes.

So with that, it has always been an "American Revolution" loved and supported by more than one specific group.
I am well aware that the first Vettes were geared for the returning war vets that had seen the "Fiats" and Spitfires" whatever they were called at that time, in Europe. Chevrolet also didn't think this "fad" would really last either. But by the time Corvette "fever" had begun, it was indeed the "baby-boomers" that were buying the cars. This was the demographic with the most people and the most disposable income, and the largest interest in the Corvette. The baby-boomers have been the main target in Corvette marketing since the mid sixties, which is when the "Corvette" really started to earn it's keep in the Chevy house. Sure, it's been "loved and supported" by more than one group, but when the engineers sat down and made changes, those changes were geared to the changing desires and needs of the 'boomers'. The design change from the C4 to the C5 is a classic example. The C4 interior was indeed a jet fighter cockpit, fun and exciting for a 30-50 year old, but by 1997 ease of ingress and egress and interior comfort became a desire and need for the 'boomers'. So, changes were made to meet them. As has been the case all along.

After the C7 run, Corvette will have to target a new generation, or take it's place in American History.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
I originally posted this under response of the Pebble Beach Post, but after reading it thought it might be of a more general interesting topic for people to read and comment.

After standing by reading, listening, and putting all of this together the past several years, waiting for the C7 to arrive I have com to some conclusions based on trends in our economy, and society.

IMHO, I think this is the beginning of the end of the Corvette line. Don't call me Dr. Doom, and please read this post with and OPEN mind.

I think there are many reasons why you did not see Corvette represented by GM at the Pebble Beach, and if you really look back during the run of the C6 generation, you plainly see the Corvette not making many of the high end shows around the works, sure you may have one or two, but you do not have that same publicity you seen with the C5. I think its as plain as the nose on your face why this is happening. Only a year ago, there was talk about dropping the Corvette Race Program...that managed to squeek by another couple of years. But remember Joh Moss and the Special Vehicile Development Department at GM....GONE. DId you know GM is going into its warehouses and selling more and more of its stored cars? Remember the loss of Pontiac, Olds, Hummer, etc., all gone. There is a trend here, and its NOT just because GM is still underwater. GM is re-inveting itself and its products. You will see more GM products released in CHINA the next few years and then making there way to the US. GM is becoming GLOBAL, and cuts will be made to make this company profitable, and yes I am afraid, CORVETTE will be a victim of GM having to be profitable. GM just cannot afford the luxury of these shows anymore.... Boring adds, means less creative PR company, less creative means cheaper to hire. They are not getting the message out us CAR people want to hear, but they are getting a message out to the PUBLIC.

My other reasons are this, first and formost, US regulation for saftey and gas consumtion are going to get much worse in the next few years. Sorry but this is going to remain a problem, as gas increases in price, even a Corvette getting 34 MPG will not be able to compete with cars getting 50 plus MPG and Gas prices over $10.00/gallon. Several EPA/DOE studies have shown, if the US DOES NOT tap its own resources, and remains dependent upon foreign oil sources, prices will raise or double the current prices in less then 6 years. Growth and demand will remain high in China and Inda, and more developing countries in Africa, and South America will increase its appetite for oil products.

Amercian Economy, Middle Class purchase power is declining and will continue to decline, and the Corvette has always been aimed to the upper middle class. Camaro will and is going to outsell Corvette, for performance cars. Simply put, middle class has less disposible income to pay for a second car that costs an average of $60,000. Especially when food, gas, utilities, health care, and other living expenses continue to increase at a 5% annual rate. I am sure a report will be released soon stating the US Middle Class is shrinking, and they are not going to the upper class. Welfare, Food Stamps and other Federal programs have almost doubled in the past 5 years. This is not a good sign..

More reasons the recent poll plainly indicates GM tends to market the Corvette to the 30-40 age group, yet the 50-60+ is still the largest customer base.

The 50-60+ folks who purchase the car, its there version of own a Caddy, like their fathers inspired to do. So as the 50-60 folks get older, sales will drop, simple fact, age. I know there will be exceptions, but I am talking bulk here.

While the 40-50 group move into the 50-60+ group, I am SURE there version of a dream car will be Luxury Coupes, because that is what they admired when they were young... So BMW, MB, Jaguar, Lexus, etc. HIGH END cars will file that spot, and yes Caddy will make a big comeback here.

So you can see where this trend is going, GM is going to have a very expensive Sports Car, they will be unable to market or sell in great enough numbers to make it profitable.

Next reason, GM does NOT listen to its customers, it listens to its bean counters. How many years have Corvette owners cried out to Chevy to produce a better interior, not a cheap plastic interior, but something on the lines of a 70K sports car, or luxury sedan. Has GM EVER delivered this? NO, and again why? Simply put, GM and Chevy focused on car performance and horsepower, and knowing it current market, knew this would sell the car, and they are willing to take the complaints about the interior, because NOBODY is not going to buy the car because of the interior, but would NOT buy this car if it had less or inferior HP or Performance. So as we go into the C7, you will hear GM/Chevy talk about the entirely refashioned interior, but take a close look at what you have, most likely more plastic carbon fiber, fancier look, but same materials, wolf in sheep's clothing. Because GM DOES NOT want to add more expense while keeping the HP and Performance alive.

Certain new trend will happen during the C7 such as you will start to see a decline during the third year of generation release. There will be a C8 and that is when you will see Corvette in the survival mode, much smaller, less HP, and much more inexpensive, dropping this down to the $40K range.

Mark my words, this is the direction of the Corvette, and I truely believe the C8 will be the last generation of Corvette as we know it, it will meet its demise.

Look, I am a proud Corvette owner, have 2 of them, and am like every other Corvette owner, couting the days for the release of the C7, but I also do not keep my head in the sand, and analyze the intelligence that is out there. Like EVERY automobile name plate, Corvette will have a run, and its run is coming to a close.

OK let the flamming begin..... but when you do flame, please understand I am basing this on a trend over the past six or seven years, keep this in mind.

Kudos EBVette and thank you for putting in words a much larger context of things surrounding our "beloved" corvette.
In many respects your write up expresses my feelings (and worries) about it all as well; save the proverbial exceptions.. as I am both a staunch defender of the C6 interior design as aeshetics and ergonomics go as well as price/cost trumps luxury..tenets of engineering.

So I am with you...but I hope and I think Chevrolet will give it a try to "evolve" the corvette to either 1. meet the foregone demands of a smaller market: a more "upscale" set up IMHO or 2. double down on efforts to fight the trend and expand market with the uniquiness that made it survive to date.

I see 1. sort of going along your well put rationales to the point where the name Corvette will still be there for a while but it will not be the "same" corvette my dad and I came to recognize and appreciate.

I see 2 the same way as watching (pardon the analogy) McDonald and BK "conquer" the world alas going global..

Yes I know, silly me, a $5 dollar meal and a 50K Corvette..WTHeck!

Come along with all the dynamics of consuming a meal and the need to eat (and to drive) and you'll see a 60 year old value story behind them both and 2 may as well be about breaking the same barriers both MD and BK had to break..."you don't have to spend X to enjoy a meal..

Took MCD about 15 years in Europe..(persistance) vis a vis wallmart which to my knowledge tried once and concluded it was not worth it... Bottom line RISK and COSTS.

I would love to see option 2 for Corvette but along your thoughts..financially, the mother ship GM is still "constrained" and I use this term loosely as I smile to all the positive anectodes of GM "kicking butt with sales... nibbling at their out of this world debt burden $1000K sales margin at the time..
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From all the grotesque concepts, I am becoming worried as well, but I have faith in Corvette. Cannot lose faith due to dumb people's predictions.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I am well aware that the first Vettes were geared for the returning war vets that had seen the "Fiats" and Spitfires" whatever they were called at that time, in Europe.

true, except they were MGs, Triumphs (all flavors), and Jags

Chevrolet also didn't think this "fad" would really last either.

That was Ford and the TBird which became a four seater in'58. Except for 1983 the Corvette has been in uninterrupted production.

But by the time Corvette "fever" had begun, it was indeed the "baby-boomers" that were buying the cars.

Corvette fever has always been there. Until the C6, the average production years were highest with the C3. Even the average C2 production years came within 15% of the average C4 production. And this with a small demographic population

This was the demographic with the most people and the most disposable income, and the largest interest in the Corvette.

True on demographic except that on a per capita basis the C3 had the highest average sales numbers. Your point is unsupported on income with every generation having peak earning years and interest has always been there

The baby-boomers have been the main target in Corvette marketing since the mid sixties, which is when the "Corvette" really started to earn it's keep in the Chevy house.

Really? When the oldest "boomers were 17 to 21 years old?

Sure, it's been "loved and supported" by more than one group,

True, oh so true.

but when the engineers sat down and made changes, those changes were geared to the changing desires and needs of the 'boomers'.

Really? The C2 was revolutionary as was the C4 which still had the oldest "boomers" only 38 at its introduction. Hardly their highest earning years and with growing families to consider. The C5, now you are talking boomers, but every other older enthusiast as well.

The design change from the C4 to the C5 is a classic example. The C4 interior was indeed a jet fighter cockpit, fun and exciting for a 30-50 year old,

Being born in 1943' I was smack in the middle of that group for the C4

but by 1997 ease of ingress and egress and interior comfort became a desire and need for the 'boomers'.

Thank God for that as I was 54 by then

So, changes were made to meet them.And everyone else! As has been the case all along.

After the C7 run, Corvette will have to target a new generation, or take it's place in American History.

You are going to give up the Boomer mantle to the next generation? But then you say that the Corvette's end may be near once the Boomers move on.

So with that your response is full of some truth, half truths and some facts you present that are unsupported. This tactic is common in an attempt make an entire argument believable.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 09-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't feel it will die. We may see it change from a big cubic inch v8 to a smaller v8 or turbo/supercharged v8/v6 but I think the Corvette will remain just different than it has been in the past.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
dougerls3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before my Vette I had a Porsche. If it goes it goes. There are still plenty of really nice performance cars made all over the world available.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Corvette the longest living nameplate in Automotive history? Older than even the legendary 911....

I think there is some serious dedication to keep it going. Even if GM sheds some more weight (brands) in the future, I think Chevy (and Cadillac) will be last to go. GM is not going anywhere and neither is Corvette. I am sure it could change in form or even move into limited production numbers (like Viper), but I am sure it will be here for the forseeable future.

What's with all the doom and gloom?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Three things throughout history have proven to always "sell" (in the context of catch attention and spur reaction): Sex, Greed, and Fear.

Alarmism and pessimism sell to fear... "Things are changing! Be afraid!" or even better... "Things MIGHT change! Be afraid!"

The anonymous and easily accessible forum of the internet merely gives more people the opportunity to use these mechanisms to get attention.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Corvette the longest living nameplate in Automotive history? Older than even the legendary 911....

I think there is some serious dedication to keep it going. Even if GM sheds some more weight (brands) in the future, I think Chevy (and Cadillac) will be last to go. GM is not going anywhere and neither is Corvette. I am sure it could change in form or even move into limited production numbers (like Viper), but I am sure it will be here for the forseeable future.

Its not that the Corvette won't be around, its that it won't be the same type of car that current owners appreciate.

Today's Corvette is the same hotrod/sports car/muscle car its been for 50 years.

Lots of shortcuts taken in design keep it from being the refined and balanced (but expensive) 911, but that's what keeps it an upper middle class toy when new and a Camry competitor when used. You can actually buy a Corvette garage queen for the same price as an average new Camry.

To survive, the Corvette will change. Current owners can mock the Prius all they want, but Audi does pretty well in ALMS with hybrid cars. Eventually, Corvette will follow suit. And why not? 4 100hp electrics with instant torque in a 3200 lb car will work just fine. A 200hp gas engine as a supplement will be great.

The unfortunate part is that the car will cost more and likely be out of the range of the middle-middle class.

Forget the Z06 and ZR1. These are limited production track cars and really don't count. The $75k Grand Sport will be the volume seller. Maybe they keep an entry level car at $55k, maybe they don't.

Perhaps they'll never sell 30,000 Corvettes in a year again. The Corvette will compete with the Cayman-Boxter duo and probably a couple of hybrid sports cars we've never heard of.

Like will go on. It just won't be life as we know it.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

For some it seems to be the new national sport of the U.S.

If your overall view is negative you search for the negatives in everything including the next generation C7 and the future of the brand and model. Doubtless there will be style and technology changes that not all of us will like but the older stuff isn't perfection either. The kids of tomorrow will be playing with different toys and listening to different music than us but they will like them even though we may not. P.S. Rap still sucks

I personally intend to keep enjoying my current toys and the toys I will soon be buying which is part of what keeps a big smile on my face Having my 8 year old daughter finally beat me in a game of badminton today was another cause for a smile.

Rodger
Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
Its not that the Corvette won't be around, its that it won't be the same type of car that current owners appreciate.

Today's Corvette is the same hotrod/sports car/muscle car its been for 50 years.

Lots of shortcuts taken in design keep it from being the refined and balanced (but expensive) 911, but that's what keeps it an upper middle class toy when new and a Camry competitor when used. You can actually buy a Corvette garage queen for the same price as an average new Camry.

To survive, the Corvette will change. Current owners can mock the Prius all they want, but Audi does pretty well in ALMS with hybrid cars. Eventually, Corvette will follow suit. And why not? 4 100hp electrics with instant torque in a 3200 lb car will work just fine. A 200hp gas engine as a supplement will be great.

The unfortunate part is that the car will cost more and likely be out of the range of the middle-middle class.

Forget the Z06 and ZR1. These are limited production track cars and really don't count. The $75k Grand Sport will be the volume seller. Maybe they keep an entry level car at $55k, maybe they don't.

Perhaps they'll never sell 30,000 Corvettes in a year again. The Corvette will compete with the Cayman-Boxter duo and probably a couple of hybrid sports cars we've never heard of.

Like will go on. It just won't be life as we know it.
Exactly, change will no doubt come in some form or another. You can't change that. My point is the car won't just die.

Even the 911 will change. Infact, all sports cars will probably have electric assist motors soon enough. That does not mean a 911 will no longer be a 911 and a corvette will no longer be a corvette.

Quick Reply: Begining of the End of the Corvette....