GM News Today BG Gears up for C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The 2013 C6 will be produced into early first quarter 2013, so there will be 2013's produced in 2013.
So, what actually happens when the assembly line is retooled for C7 production this year? Does that mean the assembly line can make either a C7 or a C6 ? I always figured you did one or the other (but I guess I can be surprised--like I was when I found out assembly lines could send cars of different colors through).
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
So, what actually happens when the assembly line is retooled for C7 production this year? Does that mean the assembly line can make either a C7 or a C6 ? I always figured you did one or the other (but I guess I can be surprised--like I was when I found out assembly lines could send cars of different colors through).
Since the exit of the XLR,there is a large portion on the plant that is not being used. Bowling Green will first install equipment in that part of the plant while production of the C6 continues in the old C6 assembly area. Some of that is occuring as we speak, behind plywood walls. This changeover will continue through early in the first quarter. Then the plant will stop all C6 production, while the existing C6 production area is converted to the new C7. When that is done, then the C7 will go into production, most likely back on the old timetable of starting a new model year up in June of each year.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Since the exit of the XLR,there is a large portion on the plant that is not being used. Bowling Green will first install equipment in that part of the plant while production of the C6 continues in the old C6 assembly area. Some of that is occuring as we speak, behind plywood walls. This changeover will continue through early in the first quarter. Then the plant will stop all C6 production, while the existing C6 production area is converted to the new C7. When that is done, then the C7 will go into production, most likely back on the old timetable of starting a new model year up in June of each year.
Hey Joe , Have you heard anything about a possible Cadillac on the C7 chassis at Bowling Green ? The dimensions of the Cadillac Glamour Concept seem similar to the Corvette.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
Hey Joe , Have you heard anything about a possible Cadillac on the C7 chassis at Bowling Green ? The dimensions of the Cadillac Glamour Concept seem similar to the Corvette.
I just can't see them trying the XLR idea again. Why?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I haven't heard anything about that. But if GM thinks it can come out with another loser(I mean winner), it will try.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Maximize the profit potential of the updated aluminum " Y " platform and the Bowling Green factory

I will go out on a limb and state what I feel is a " no brainer " If Cadillac built an aesthetically beautiful roadster with a strong build quality they would sell well. The Allante was junk and the XLR just wasn't pretty enough.

2015 Cadillac Glamour "V" Supercharged 2+2 "The Most Beautiful Car Cadillac Has Ever Built".
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

What are people smoking? A 2+2 on the C& chassis? If the C7 is just a slightly adjusted wheelbase, that is not going to happen. Are they going to put the seats on top of the transmission? Or is the same space so their heads do stick out the roof, or only be good for people under 4'9"? Or maybe it will be a 2+1 with the one sideways across the car or curled up in the back?

Why do some people think that a rear quarter window means it it is a 2+2? 1979 RX7 had a quarter window, no back seat, the 1970 240Z had a quarter window, no back seat. Fiero quarter window no back seat. The list goes on. Even 1961 Corvetee had a quarter window, no back seat.

What evidence is there that there will be a back seat?

Last edited by Racer X; 08-28-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

I was speculating about a modified platform for Cadillac
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
What are people smoking? A 2+2 on the C& chassis? If the C7 is just a slightly adjusted wheelbase, that is not going to happen. Are they going to put the seats on top of the transmission? Or is the same space so their heads do stick out the roof, or only be good for people under 4'9"? Or maybe it will be a 2+1 with the one sideways across the car or curled up in the back?

Why do some people think that a rear quarter window means it it is a 2+2? 1979 RX& had a quarter window, no back seat, the 1970 240Z had a quarter window, no back seat. Fiero quarter window no back seat. The list goes on. Even 1961 Corvetee had a quarter window, no back seat.

About as much as there is regarding anything else at this point.........
Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Maximize the profit potential of the updated aluminum " Y " platform and the Bowling Green factory

I will go out on a limb and state what I feel is a " no brainer " If Cadillac built an aesthetically beautiful roadster with a strong build quality they would sell well. The Allante was junk and the XLR just wasn't pretty enough.

2015 Cadillac Glamour "V" Supercharged 2+2 "The Most Beautiful Car Cadillac Has Ever Built".
My God, how many Caddy models do they need? BTW, the pics I have seen of the 'Glamor' is not a roadster.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I see. Then, there will be some 2013 production in year 2013. I assumed there was one assembly line (with one beginning and one end ). But what do I know about setting up an assembly line? I thought that kind of stuff took a long time.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slynky
I see. Then, there will be some 2013 production in year 2013. I assumed there was one assembly line (with one beginning and one end ). But what do I know about setting up an assembly line? I thought that kind of stuff took a long time.
Even when the XLR was in production, it did not share the same assembly line or area within the plant as the Corvette. The XLR was more of a batch build instead of an conveyor based assembly line. The Corvette is a two conveyor based assembly line configuration. One line was to assemble the drivetrain and suspension on conveyor pallets, and the second line is for assembly of the chassis/body on an conveyor line. At some point, the chassis/body is dropped from the ceil;ing down over the pallet conveyor for marriage of the chassis/body to the drivetrain/suspension and then the car finishes it's journey down one assembly line to the final station where it is driven off under it's own power.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X

Why do some people think that a rear quarter window means it it is a 2+2? 1979 RX7 had a quarter window, no back seat, the 1970 240Z had a quarter window, no back seat. Fiero quarter window no back seat. The list goes on. Even 1961 Corvetee had a quarter window, no back seat.

Are you really surprised by some of the posts that are still being put up on here Racer?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My God, how many Caddy models do they need? BTW, the pics I have seen of the 'Glamor' is not a roadster.
Dumb post in a way Babe! How many Chevy models are there? How many Mercedes models are there? How many BMW models are there?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Are you really surprised by some of the posts that are still being put up on here Racer?
I'm not! C7 posts are a joke to read so much of the time.

There are many good comments, but some really off the wall comments also.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I had friends who drove the XLR since, in their circles, driving a Cadillac was acceptable while driving a Chevrolet would not have been.

Dumb reason, IMO, but those were their circumstances.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

So there will be no C7 ZR1's? Or that 2013 is the last year they'll make C6 ZR1's? (ie all C6's)

Get notified of new replies

To GM News Today BG Gears up for C7

Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Dumb post in a way Babe! How many Chevy models are there? How many Mercedes models are there? How many BMW models are there?
Ever seen a real need for a Caddy two seater when there is a Corvette in the GM lineup? Which post is dumb?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Ever seen a real need for a Caddy two seater when there is a Corvette in the GM lineup? Which post is dumb?
C'mon Ox , You had to have noticed them at Pebble and the Quail ! The Female ! They will buy the Cad .

That is the demographic ! How many Females are in Corvettes? Not many. Sure they like them but they would like 2 seater Cadillacs a lot more.

Now I will blur the lines...Where I grew up in Baltimore the SL Mercedes was the car to have if you had a couple dollars, male or female. The latest gen MB SL ( 2013 ) is $100,000 and not pretty .

Cadillac's time has come !
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Even when the XLR was in production, it did not share the same assembly line or area within the plant as the Corvette. The XLR was more of a batch build instead of an conveyor based assembly line. The Corvette is a two conveyor based assembly line configuration. One line was to assemble the drivetrain and suspension on conveyor pallets, and the second line is for assembly of the chassis/body on an conveyor line. At some point, the chassis/body is dropped from the ceil;ing down over the pallet conveyor for marriage of the chassis/body to the drivetrain/suspension and then the car finishes it's journey down one assembly line to the final station where it is driven off under it's own power.
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Quick Reply: GM News Today BG Gears up for C7