C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hell freezes over! Why it doesn't matter how good the C7 is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

Like i said... A mustang...come on..just stop reading the magazine.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c4gone
Like i said... A mustang...come on..just stop reading the magazine.
I saw it online. I wouldn't pay for those mags!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Corvette and Mustang should never appear in the same sentence
Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Corvette and Mustang should never appear in the same sentence
I agree with this. Mustang/Camaro and others of that ilk, but not a 'vette.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I agree with this. Mustang/Camaro and others of that ilk, but not a 'vette.
I'm not trying to be snobbish, but the Mustang is not at the Corvette's level, though it's enthuisasts think it is.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm not trying to be snobbish, but the Mustang is not at the Corvette's level, though it's enthuisasts think it is.
I know you are not being snobbish, nor am I. Plain and simple, they are different classes of cars.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zland
Regarding body style, here is an article stating the best looking cars of all time. Maybe GM should study these type of cars?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-10-m...me.html?page=1
It is interesting to note that designs that "age" well and are viewed as beautiful usually have smooth flowing organic lines. Designs with sharp, disjointed lines and angles (like the C7 images) might appear edgy and modern when new, but also look dated fairly quickly.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
It is interesting to note that designs that "age" well and are viewed as beautiful usually have smooth flowing organic lines. Designs with sharp, disjointed lines and angles (like the C7 images) might appear edgy and modern when new, but also look dated fairly quickly.
I have been hearing about an "evolutionary design" , conservative compared to the 13' Viper.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Top Ten most beautiul cars and a Porche 911 in the list???? stumpy, squat, never ever thought of a 911 as a beautiful car!
I have not had the chance to drive any other cars to compare to the corvette...But one thing I have done, is Seen them in real life. And I can tell you one thing...those that think a Porche is beautiful is out of their mind.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Top Ten most beautiul cars and a Porche 911 in the list???? stumpy, squat, never ever thought of a 911 as a beautiful car!
Ditto! Ugliest car ever made!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by zwaldo
i have not had the chance to drive any other cars to compare to the corvette...but one thing i have done, is seen them in real life. And i can tell you one thing...those that think a porche is beautiful is out of their mind.
x2!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by thenorthwoods
The article states the Corvette ZR1 was not included in the test because when it was last tested it "underperformed" and "no substantial changes have been made to it since its last testing". Ferrari did not lend a car to be tested.
It lists the judges and they are the same that write of Car and Driver and Road and Track. Porsche lovers rejoice, advertisement money in those mags pay off!
And they print endless articles about BMW 3 series, and other assorted BMWs. My wife bought me both Car and Driver and Road and Track. In the last 9 months there has not been any issues where they have not tested or had a BMW of some sort in their rags as far as I can remember. I will not renew those rags. In fact, some of the readers have noticed the same thing and are pointing it out to the editors, thought I doubt it will change anything.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

....and it comes around.... I just had a porsche enthuisast friend of mine say the same thing to me about Corvette fans.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

A couple of things regarding large car magazines:

1. They get most of their money from advertisement from car manufactures. If they state something about one manufacture or product that is really negative, they may lose their current advertisement or future advertisement.

2. Notice a safe way for them to evaluate a car is to state things like it gets 21% more hp (or whatever they are measuring). You will see manufatures give the write info like this which makes the car appear to be improved while not having to directly compared its mpg for example to another product. This makes the product look good while not having to compare it in a negative light to another manufacture (read #1 above again).

3. When pushed, the safe bet in a direct comparison is to give kudos to the new or improved product vs the older product. This way every new product gets "good press". Another way is to only select new products released that year for things like "Car of the year" thus allowing good press on new products. It appears this may be the source for the Mustang GT 500 getting the spotlight over the unimproved ZR1.

4. Remember, in the magazine business a lot drives what is being tested, how they are tested/measured, & what is not included. The magazines live off advertisement (money) & how much people pay for magazines does not directly keep them in business. Just look at how cheap a subscription is to something like Motortrend. The main importance of having a lot of magazine sells/readers is the magazine has a rational for increasing the advertisement rate based on how many people will see their advertisement in the magazine.

Last edited by zland; 09-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

What skews all of these tests and opinions is the base level C6 models. The base level cars do operate in the Camaro and Mustang territory. Can a ZL1 or GT500 outperform a base C6? Yes! Once you get to Z06, and ZR1 models the C6 outperforms.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by uxojerry
What skews all of these tests and opinions is the base level C6 models. The base level cars do operate in the Camaro and Mustang territory. Can a ZL1 or GT500 outperform a base C6? Yes! Once you get to Z06, and ZR1 models the C6 outperforms.
As I said before, get a base Mustang and Camaro and see how the base C6 does.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
And they print endless articles about BMW 3 series, and other assorted BMWs. My wife bought me both Car and Driver and Road and Track. In the last 9 months there has not been any issues where they have not tested or had a BMW of some sort in their rags as far as I can remember. I will not renew those rags. In fact, some of the readers have noticed the same thing and are pointing it out to the editors, thought I doubt it will change anything.
That's maybe because there have been a lot of new/revised BMW models recently: 3-Series, M5, M6, 6-Series Gran Coupe.
The 3-Series is written about and wins many group comparos in many mags in many countries. Group test winner in C&D, Motor Trend, InsideLine, plus What Car and Auto Express (UK), and Auto Bild (Germany). Do you suppose it's considered the benchmark of the class for a good reason, and do you suppose the VW-Audi Group empire doesn't have more to spend on advertising than BMW? I think it's a safe bet they do. Yet the A4 often loses to the 3-Series.

Again, for those who mention advertising money, I doubt BMW/Porsche/Ferrari advertise any more than GM. Show me a Ferrari advertisement to really get this ball rolling. Motor Trend have ranked the 135i and 1M among the bottom 2 cars in its Best Driver's Car comparos in separate years.

Get notified of new replies

To Hell freezes over! Why it doesn't matter how good the C7 is...

Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM
c4gone
Drifting

What gets me about mustang is the brainwash.don't get me wrong they r very.nice.but if a kid wantsa sportscar he need a mustang...um mustangs r slow.or the ones that get a stang and put exhaust then all of a sudden its fast.um no.on performance level...in 93 through 98 the stang did like 240 hp.from 98-04 it did like 260 or so.then it finally jumped to 300. Well vette has been 300 minimum since 93.like i said it does not compare at all.maybe to a camaro or a lancer but not a corvette.and people can always say that it did outsell the camaro and trans am.yes it did.but most were all six cylinders by girls.i didn't see many girls driving a z28 pr ws6.just my two cents here.not trying to offend anyone id u drive a stang WHAT'S UP BLUE OX???
Old 09-09-2012, 06:22 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Hey paulchristian did u ever live in corpus christi tx
Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by c4gone
Hey paulchristian did u ever live in corpus christi tx
Nope. Wrong Paul

Quick Reply: Hell freezes over! Why it doesn't matter how good the C7 is...