Sponsored by:

Will C7 be part of the 2 Second Club?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
I know the ideal of using 0-60 as a measuring stick but in reality, 99.999% of drivers are not going to dump it and launch that hard. For me personally, I like the idea of it taking skill to launch it & smoking the tires. It is not as fun to me to have AWD & chirp the tires.

The fact is no one races their street car for a living. It is takes you a few seconds to make a lap is pretty much irreverent. It is more about the thrill of driving a car & being able to master it, as least for me. The last thing in the world I want is an AWD, computer driven car that prevents me from making mistakes.

If we really wanted improved track times, they could program in the perfect inputs for most race tracks in America & the driver simply pretends to drive.
So you just routinely drive around with NO electronic nannies of any kind active on the car? All cars now, even the Viper, have electronic management because otherwise it is dangerous. The days of controlling the car "yourself" are over. It is mandated and the right thing to do.

Dont take this as a bash, just a fact. I love hearing all the 911 guys saying how other cars "drive themselves"( we all know which car they are talking about), yet at the same time driving a car that, except for the extensive computer management of traction, and vector control, and stability control, would make their otherwise intitially poorly engineered car outright lethal. Management is safer and here to stay forever.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
So you just routinely drive around with NO electronic nannies of any kind active on the car?
I do.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Sweet! Haha
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I have a copy of the Excel spreadsheet that calculates those 0-60 times if anybody wants it, PM me your e-mail. FWIW my 422rwhp C5 did a 2.89 and that's with a shift.
Originally Posted by zland
I know the ideal of using 0-60 as a measuring stick but in reality, 99.999% of drivers are not going to dump it and launch that hard. For me personally, I like the idea of it taking skill to launch it & smoking the tires. It is not as fun to me to have AWD & chirp the tires.

The fact is no one races their street car for a living. It is takes you a few seconds to make a lap is pretty much irreverent. It is more about the thrill of driving a car & being able to master it, as least for me. The last thing in the world I want is an AWD, computer driven car that prevents me from making mistakes.

If we really wanted improved track times, they could program in the perfect inputs for most race tracks in America & the driver simply pretends to drive.
Well said, I agree

So you just routinely drive around with NO electronic nannies of any kind active on the car? All cars now, even the Viper, have electronic management because otherwise it is dangerous. The days of controlling the car "yourself" are over. It is mandated and the right thing to do.

Dont take this as a bash, just a fact. I love hearing all the 911 guys saying how other cars "drive themselves"( we all know which car they are talking about), yet at the same time driving a car that, except for the extensive computer management of traction, and vector control, and stability control, would make their otherwise intitially poorly engineered car outright lethal. Management is safer and here to stay forever.
I drive with no nannies on including disabled ABS as I feel it makes me a better driver and helps to better learn the limits and capabilities of the car. Video games are for people who aren't realist imho
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I have a copy of the Excel spreadsheet that calculates those 0-60 times if anybody wants it, PM me your e-mail. FWIW my 422rwhp C5 did a 2.89 and that's with a shift.

Well said, I agree

I drive with no nannies on including disabled ABS as I feel it makes me a better driver and helps to better learn the limits and capabilities of the car. Video games are for people who aren't realist imho
On the street with street tires or on a prepped track? You must be a world class shifter/driver. It would have been even quicker with modern tech. To each his own! I just like to go fast.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

My 2000 Miata doesn't have traction control, launch control, or abs. My FRC is a '99 so it doesn't have the full enchilada either. My 2000 coupe, I drove 90% of the time with the nannies turned off. That was with 580hp. This FRC with 830ish hp, I leave what nannies it has on, but only because she's sooooo easy to get sideways into the triple digits.

Less nannies the better. Less crap to go wrong mechanically.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
My 2000 Miata doesn't have traction control, launch control, or abs. My FRC is a '99 so it doesn't have the full enchilada either. My 2000 coupe, I drove 90% of the time with the nannies turned off. That was with 580hp. This FRC with 830ish hp, I leave what nannies it has on, but only because she's sooooo easy to get sideways into the triple digits.

Less nannies the better. Less crap to go wrong mechanically.
and lighter

On the street with street tires or on a prepped track? You must be a world class shifter/driver. It would have been even quicker with modern tech. To each his own! I just like to go fast.
On a dragstrip. It's not fair to compare an awd vehicle to a rwd with street tires. Ricer math...a 911 with 2x235(front tires) + 2x305(rear tires)> 2x335 rear tires of ZR1
Sequential manual gearbox is also inhumanely fast at shifting, I'd take one if available for the vette
Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UE Triplefi
Scrap 0-60 times

The new benchmark for early 21st century supercars should be 0-100 mph.

Why?

Where are you going to do the 0-100 mph run(s)?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by UE Triplefi
Scrap 0-60 times

The new benchmark for early 21st century supercars should be 0-100 mph.

997 Turbo: 0-100 in 7.8
GT-R: 0-100 in 7.4
ZR1: 0-100 in 6.9

Or 100-200km/h (roughly 60-120mph). Below that it's a traction issue and awd, rear engine will have big advantage.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

No it won't. It is made for the track, not 0-60 fast and furious generation.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

0-60 in less than 3 sec, for cars other than the Bugatti, are an exercise in engineering. I doubt you can start with a RWD Corvette and a manual transmission and get to 60 in less than 3 sec. If you did, it would make for a very tall first gear requiring no manual shifts in the process. I would think Corvette's lap times around the "Ring" are more important. Your starting to see more C6s in Germany and there are now German tuning shops specializing in Corvettes. I doubt it that was influenced by 0-60 or even 1/4 mile times. I would think that GMs focus on the "Ring" is driving a lot of sales.

Im sure Viper will go to Germany and set a new record, then GM will respond. The 911, GTR, and Viper "Ring" times are what keep GM working feverishly to improve performance and handling. All of the performance and handling goodies from the ZR1, have filtered down the line up, making each offering more competitive.

The day GM quits Germany is the day I start worrying about the Corvette!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by uxojerry
I would think Corvette's lap times around the "Ring" are more important.
How many Vette owners do you suppose drive the Ring in their Vetts?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My apologies, 0-60 in the 2s is much more important, lol.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

The 0-60 I can relate to the most is me being 55 years old & coming on 60 soon. Sometimes it feels like my life went 0-60 (years old) in less then 3 seconds
Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by uxojerry
My apologies, 0-60 in the 2s is much more important, lol.
Way more usable than driving on the Ring...
Old 09-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Nuieve
Intermediate

What about Ariel Atom? It does 0-60 in 2.9 and is RWD.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
Way more usable than driving on the Ring...
When has the Corvette ever been about drag racing?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
When has the Corvette ever been about drag racing?
I didn't say the Vette has ever been about drag racing. Besides, you don't get 0-60 times on your time slip.

The reason 0-60 times are illustrative to me is because they represent the objective performance number that best represents something that is usable when driving on public roads in a manner that might not result in getting a ticket, loss of your driver's license, physical damage to myself/others, or going to prison.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM
5YearPlan
Instructor

Add the Lambo Aventador, Ferrari f12, and McLaren to that list.

Quick Reply: Will C7 be part of the 2 Second Club?