Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's give the C7 a fighting chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I am particularly impressed by the built ins / desk. Really beautiful gear!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
I am particularly impressed by the built ins / desk. Really beautiful gear!
Thanks! That is a Johnson Desk Kilowatt, 402 were made during the production run from 1955-57. They were made in Waseca, MN and ran the amateur legal limit of 1,000 watts input on all modes (thus its name).

The pedestal on the left contained all of the works and sold for $1,600 and the optional attached desk was another $200.

It is anything but "green" drawing 500 watts from the AC line at idle and 3,000 at rated input power and has four large cooling fans to keep internal temperature under control. Mine was originally owned by a surgeon in Dallas and then by a retired TWA pilot who took it completely apart so that it could be painted in a body shop and the control panels could be reprinted using silk screens. After dis-assembly he realized putting it all back together was beyond him so it sat for over a decade until I bought it. It took 3 months to restore including constructing and cord lacing a new wiring harness to authentically replace the one damaged by mice during storage.

The 30s through the mid 60s were the golden age of U.S. consumer electronics manufacturing. It had similar problems to the U.S. automotive industry in being slow to change in accord with changing tastes and technology and it also faced difficulties from imports with lower manufacturing costs. It did not survive in any real sense and most of the major companies were gone before the 1970s had arrived. It is perhaps a matter of taste but modern consumer electronics is mostly bland compared to the vintage offerings; fortunately not ALL automotive offerings have become similarly bland
Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

NSC5-- Have you been to Dulles Air and Space in Virginia ?, I have seen ( maybe ) similar equipment to yours there and if you have not been there I highly recommend you go for many , many reasons. I found the place to be truly incredible. Just the architecture will weaken your knees
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 638HP
Fellow Corvette enthusiasts, let’s not put a knife in Corvette just yet, the game has yet to begin.
Good luck with that. Tough crowd here...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

It's really funny to watch each model change. I remember the C6 and everyone screaming about no pop ups, and the smiling face front end and the dough boy steering wheel and on and on. Most of those whiners all own one now. Just wait and see what happens with the C7. It'll be the same.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

OP is spot on.

Quick Reply: Let's give the C7 a fighting chance