Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket parts development for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 PM
out4uv8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket parts development for C7?

I don't want this to be an argument about who heard what engine was going in the vette etc. Officially we've been told that there is a 5.5ltr for the coupe. Assuming that few engine parts carry over, can any aftermarket vendors give an estimate on time as to when we will start seeing quality bolt ons for the C7? Thanks
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by out4uv8
I don't want this to be an argument about who heard what engine was going in the vette etc. Officially we've been told that there is a 5.5ltr for the coupe.
Really? Which official and when?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Really? Which official and when?
Was thinking the same thing.

As far as I know, there's NOTHING official about the C7 other than there will be one.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't want this to be an argument about who heard what engine was going in the vette etc. Officially we've been told that there is a 5.5ltr for the coupe. Assuming that few engine parts carry over, can any aftermarket vendors give an estimate on time as to when we will start seeing quality bolt ons for the C7? Thanks
I'm with Jinx 'n Crash, as far as I know, uhhh no we haven't. But since you did say that you didn't want this to turn into an argument about what engine we will get, I'll respond to your intended question.

I would expect bolt ons such as headers/exhaust/cai shouldn't take long, once vendors have a chance to see the car and plan the routing. If it is similar to C5/C6, even less time. Most of these are more "general", and use the principles of maximizing flow to improve breathing, so even if Gen V is a more radical departure from Gen III/IV, companies should have something fairly quick.

Tuning may take a while for someone to "crack" the ECU, but with Gen V being in the trucks, and Camaro, etc., there should be high demand for tuning software, so I'm sure people will be working on it ASAP.

Not enough is known about the engine to speculate on the interchangeability of camshafts, heads, etc. IMO.

Last edited by CPhelps; 08-25-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:48 AM
out4uv8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...et-corvette-c7

One of the many articles I've read saying that the 5.5ltr is the suspected engine. Correct, its not GM saying it directly, but I've seen it from enough credible sources to believe that this is it. IMO
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

One of the many articles I've read saying that the 5.5ltr is the suspected engine. Correct, its not GM saying it directly, but I've seen it from enough credible sources to believe that this is it. IMO
So then not official from GM. The closest we have had was a release on the Gen V engine indicating it would be used in the next generation Corvette, or maybe it was 2014 model year cars. There was no indication of sizes. The expectation is that it would be available in a number of different sizes, just like the Gen IV small block.

The 5.5 liter rumor started because that is what the race team now uses. That probably has to do with series rules, rather than anything to do with the production C7.

Last edited by Racer X; 08-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

With the C5 and the LS engines it took a year or so. First things we saw were air intakes, plug wires, then MAF. Major items like cams, etc took a while longer. If the engine is a variant of the LS line C7 aftermarket items might hit the shelves sooner since there is a base of knowledge already in place that wasn't there when the LS came out in 97.

Bill
Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I think you'll find those "credible sources" don't themselves cite credible sources when it comes to engine displacement. They're taking that early comment about the 5.5L race engine moving to the next-gen architecture and running with it. And a case can be made for it. But to my knowledge that's all we have.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:43 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I think you'll find those "credible sources" don't themselves cite credible sources when it comes to engine displacement. They're taking that early comment about the 5.5L race engine moving to the next-gen architecture and running with it. And a case can be made for it. But to my knowledge that's all we have.
I was showing my son the Katech display at Carlisle PA. and the boss at Katech generously started chatting with me. I thought it would be a done deal( get the inside scoop) when I asked about the 5.5 ,considering that Katech use to supply GM with Corvette race engines. He said that when GM filed bankruptcy they were cut from the program and now he was out of the loop on the C7. His first name was Warren and he was an extremely knowledgeable fellow.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You consider the rags to be credible? Why are we talking about aftermarket parts for a car that is over a year away from being sold? Until you know what it has you won't know what it might need from the aftermarket. What if it comes with a SC or Turbos? You won't need them.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Rats! Well, good try anyway...

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket parts development for C7?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parts development for C7?