C7: So what do we REALLY know so far? 8/26/2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default C7: So what do we REALLY know so far? 8/26/2012

Since there is a ton of misinformation out there on the new corvette, I wanted to see what, at this point, do we really know and what should we truly expect.

I've seen tons of pictures however are any of those official "leaked" photo's from GM? I have seen the video showing the bumper in CAD, is there anything else?

What about drivetrain, any news? I truly hope that a manual is still going to be available as I truly do not care much at all for slick shifting auto's... no matter how efficient and fast there are.... I'm faster!

Is the 5.5L a real thing? Direct Injected? My only concern with direct injection is actually two things.

1. High Pressure Fuel Pump. You can almost say goodby to after BIG hp if gm doesn't figure out a way to make work properly. If now, the aftermarket will hopefully step up as with most direct injected mass-produced engines out there, how many of them do you see producing 1000hp or much more?

2. A friend of mine is a tech at the collection down here in miami/Coral Gables. We were talking cars, as usual, and he should me some of the work he does there.

I was horrified to see what the DI audi engines look like with less than 20K-30K miles. The intake ports were literally covered in gunk(think hard caked mud) and the engine, under warranty, needs new ring packs and requires a rebuild right around 2-3 years of owning it. Maybe add another year.

Again, hopefully GM will be able to get around this as that is just another problem that could effectively slow down, at best, the aftermarket.

Well... your thoughts?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
Is the 5.5L a real thing?
It might or might not be, nothing is etched in stone yet (as far as the public's knowledge is concerned that is).
I personally do not believe that the base Corvette will have a 5.5L engine, but it could.

Originally Posted by obzidian
Direct Injected?
Likely yes, that's probably going to happen.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:29 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

It's looking like the leaked photos are likely real, but I'm hoping that the renderings and incomplete molds are failing to get all the little details that really make the design, and that the final car will look better than the images we have now portray.

Regarding DI, yes I believe it has been officially confirmed by GM. This article suggests that the current GM DI engines do not suffer from the carbon build up issues, however.

I haven't researched enough about the current DI engines (GM or otherwise) aftermarket support to know much about addressing your first point about DI, but I expect the aftermarket will step up. Do current Gen III/IV builds in the 1000 hp range use stock fuel pumps? I think I've heard of a boost-a-pump before? (I'm legitimately asking, researching too much about these builds makes me want to spend money that I don't have...)

Regarding the displacement, the 5.5L thing was a rumor that was lended credibility by the fact that the Corvette race teams are restricted to 5.5L in AMLS. Not to say that there will not be a 5.5L Gen V, but this is far from a confirmed fact, IMO.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I keep thinking about a recent interview with Bob Lutz ( ex product king at GM ) . When asked about the C7 he said " it is radically different" . Now I really don't see any C7 renderings as " radically different" so what about the car is radically different?? Looking more like a Ferrari could not be construed as "radically different".

He may be speaking of something other than styling.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

I am pretty confident the new C7 will be a direct injected, small displacement powered
vehicle...............and probably look like a F430.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

A few people here in C7 have done a lot of worrying about direct injection, citing Audi's early woes. Since those early Audis, direct injection has been put into production by... well, almost every manufacturer at this point. GM specifically has many years of high-volume direct-injection experience. I have no direct (!) experience, but I get the impression that the industry has figured this out. Adding a port injector to get a tiny bit of fuel upstream of the valves and burn the gunk off seems to be the go-to solution.

As far as the aftermarket getting big power gains, I doubt direct injection will be more than a temporary bump in the road, and not much of one at that.

And of course GM's talking heads (and former talking heads) play up big changes in the new Corvette. But I don't read a lot into talking heads' use of qualitative terms. I mean, these guys are from the same club that put the Aztek into production and thought we were really going to be impressed with the styling of the 2004 Malibu. (Well, it did make an impression...)

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To C7: So what do we REALLY know so far? 8/26/2012

Quick Reply: C7: So what do we REALLY know so far? 8/26/2012