Sponsored by:

See, here is the problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Maybe you forgot about the 'lost' iphone prototype...sounds amazingly like the C7/Jalopnik/Omega Tool security snafus.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...keep-a-secret/
Forgot about that , great point !
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
FWIW - When shopping for a 911 recently the Porsche salesmen said they give discounts of 9-10% off MSRP depending on options. This was on one visit to one local Porsche dealer, it was not; 1) an extended negotiation which may have gone deeper, 2) a broad search of other local dealers who might go lower, and it was not, 3) trying dealers quoting from states away who might offer the biggest discounts like we see from the CF sponsors here. On the surface the discount was similar to the discounts I saw on Corvettes from the best local Chevy dealers
Interesting.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

FWIW - When shopping for a 911 recently the Porsche salesmen said they give discounts of 9-10% off MSRP depending on options. This was on one visit to one local Porsche dealer, it was not; 1) an extended negotiation which may have gone deeper, 2) a broad search of other local dealers who might go lower, and it was not, 3) trying dealers quoting from states away who might offer the biggest discounts like we see from the CF sponsors here. On the surface the discount was similar to the discounts I saw on Corvettes from the best local Chevy dealers, meaning not the dealers trying to impress you with those wonderful "no markup over MSRP" - "invoice" - "my cost" offers.

Cheers,
JB
Im sure pretty fully loaded options.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

FWIW - When shopping for a 911 recently the Porsche salesmen said they give discounts of 9-10% off MSRP depending on options. ... JB
I agree that an 'off the lot' Porsche MIGHT be discounted, depending on options (or lack thereof).

Many Porsches are custom ordered, however, and there ain't no such deals available on those cars that I have ever heard of.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I agree that an 'off the lot' Porsche MIGHT be discounted, depending on options (or lack thereof).

Many Porsches are custom ordered, however, and there ain't no such deals available on those cars that I have ever heard of.
So...you're saying that if one goes and orders a Porsche with all his/her choices of bells and whistles, there is NO discount??? But if one goes and buys off the floor, there is a discount????

You realize that makes zero sense. A car on the lot is floorplanned/etc, an ordered/pre-sold car comes in and is immediately sold, saving the dealer the floorplan interest....

I will bet money that I can go into any Porsche dealer on the planet, order my dream Porsche (except the 918), and get a discount.

Jimmy
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So...you're saying that if one goes and orders a Porsche with all his/her choices of bells and whistles, there is NO discount??? But if one goes and buys off the floor, there is a discount????

You realize that makes zero sense. A car on the lot is floorplanned/etc, an ordered/pre-sold car comes in and is immediately sold, saving the dealer the floorplan interest....

I will bet money that I can go into any Porsche dealer on the planet, order my dream Porsche (except the 918), and get a discount.

That's also part of the reason why I always order my cars, I've never bought a brand new car from the dealer's inventory/lot.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

So...you're saying that if one goes and orders a Porsche with all his/her choices of bells and whistles, there is NO discount??? But if one goes and buys off the floor, there is a discount???? ... I will bet money that I can go into any Porsche dealer on the planet, order my dream Porsche (except the 918), and get a discount.

Jimmy
I didn't bring up the topic, nor did I say what you are stating above.

jb_va2001 posted "FWIW - When shopping for a 911 recently the Porsche salesmen said they give discounts of 9-10% off MSRP depending on options. ... JB"

That implies that they are giving 9 - 10% and my post meant "or less, if any". I was not quite clear enough apparently.

Here in Chicagoland, you find 2012 911s at 4.5% - 10% discounts. 2013 models of the 911; you ain't getting it if anything. Other parts of the country may vary.

When my boss ordered his a few years ago (highly optioned, with the final price about 45% above base price), he paid MSRP as he expected to.

And Jimmy, it doesn't matter to me if you wrangle a discount. I'll take your bet that you won't get the previously debated 9 - 10%.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I didn't bring up the topic, nor did I say what you are stating above.

jb_va2001 posted "FWIW - When shopping for a 911 recently the Porsche salesmen said they give discounts of 9-10% off MSRP depending on options. ... JB"

That implies that they are giving 9 - 10% and my post meant "or less, if any". I was not quite clear enough apparently.

Here in Chicagoland, you find 2012 911s at 4.5% - 10% discounts. 2013 models of the 911; you ain't getting it if anything. Other parts of the country may vary.

When my boss ordered his a few years ago (highly optioned, with the final price about 45% above base price), he paid MSRP as he expected to.

And Jimmy, it doesn't matter to me if you wrangle a discount. I'll take your bet that you won't get the previously debated 9 - 10%.
With all respect, I'm not smart enough to take your post (that I quoted) and read all the additional stuff you just posted into it.

As far as getting discounts on the 991 (new model 911), I think (!) there would be NO discounts on that car for a while (just like the C7 when it comes out). After the initial run of folks that have to have the newest/latest, I believe that you can get discounts. If your boss paid MSRP on an ordered/highly optioned car, well, I'm sure the salesman/dealership love him!

Jimmy
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

With all respect, I'm not smart enough to take your post (that I quoted) and read all the additional stuff you just posted into it.

.. If your boss paid MSRP on an ordered/highly optioned car, well, I'm sure the salesman/dealership love him!

Jimmy
Agreed on your first point. It was late in the evening, after a long day in the sun at a BBQ, and I was too brief. No prob though.

Tony is a serious long-term exotic car owner and knows how to get the best deal anyone can get on any given car. Again, it is what it is. YMMV.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
This part alone sums up your answer and your practical comprehension of markets, competition, and product offering.

Good luck with your $7200 Porsche in Mali! Hi Hi
Says the guy who thinks the C7 will compete with the Ferrari 458 and a 4-door Jaguar saloon (XF, LOL)...

And that part alone does not explain how Porsches can maintain higher overall sales outside of the US than Corvette. You made the excuse that it is because people outside of the US have higher income and more disposable income. I showed that in Germany, UK, and Canada, that is not the case: in Canada, they have less per capita income and less disposable income than in the US. Yet they buy more Porsches than the US, despite a much lower population and the fact that a cheaper Corvette is within the economic means of a much larger pool of buyers than it is for Porsche. This not only refutes your argument, it also confirms my position that a US patriotic advantage is helping the Corvette and thus gives a distorted view of how well all of these cars are performing in the (US-only) market. If you want to talk about disposable incomes in the US vs UK, have a read and look at the charts here:

"US Per Capita Disposable Personal Income is at a current level of 38052, up from 37950 last month. This represents a monthly annualized growth rate of 3.23%, compared to a long term average annualized growth rate of 5.61%"
http://ycharts.com/indicators/per_ca...ersonal_income

"disposable income is declining for the average adult in the UK and recently fell to its 2003 level."
http://www.debtmanagementplans.uk.co...ine-in-uk.html

"By 2013, [UK] real disposable income per household is forecast to be 5.7% lower than in 2007. Contrary to popular belief, CEBR reported, wealthier people have faced the biggest income squeeze."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...come-dip-again

Considering no one is talking about selling either of these cars in Mali, your Mali point is just another red herring to take this discussion off topic. Nice of you to continue to ignore the sales of Porsches/Corvettes in Spain/Italy/Sweden/other fully developed countires, where the prices far exceed $7200.

Last edited by Guibo; 09-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimmy
What jackhall said actually makes a lot of sense. If you visit some of the BMW/Porsche/Lexus sites and click on their specials, they sometimes have a disclaimer like "must take delivery from dealer stock." A car on the lot is ordered/pre-sold to the dealer. He hasn't made his profit on selling the car yet. There's a reason why high turnover rates and low days supply are preferrable: A Porsche that lacks the options that customers really want is going to sit there for a long time, and that doesn't bring in customers. If you you've visited a Porsche dealer twice before and find the same cars sitting on the lot, why would you go back there a third time if, on the other hand, a dealer somewhere else has fresh stock moving through his floorplan?
And I'm betting few if any of these Porsches are benefitting from employee discounts. Also, in good times, they tend to have 0% holdback (where others are offering 3% of base MSRP) and in bad, it's 1.5% of invoice (where others are offering 3% of configured MSRP).
Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

...[snip]...

...[snip]...
The Porsche salesman was speaking of 2012s, there were no 2013's at the time. Like many expect with the C7, a new model will command MSRP (or even a premium) for some period.

A friend wanted to have the first new SL65 AMG in his state. He paid well over MSRP for the bragging rights.

Last edited by jb_va2001; 09-04-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: See, here is the problem...