Sponsored by:

See, here is the problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default See, here is the problem...

...with GM's marketing right now. You gotta 60th Corvette Anniversary and you got GM talking about Corvette chassis design through 'ages' on the front page of their corporate web site @ http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...hassis.gm.html. Not ONE MENTION OF THE C7's chassis possibilities. They didn't have to reveal anything specific, just add a paragraph or so like...

"And following in the footsteps of these classics, the next generation C7's chassis with continue this engineering innovation with an even lighter, stronger and more performance-oriented foundation using new technologies. For example, GM has recently invested in new nanosteel technology that provides all the pluses of existing steel manufacturing with improved strength and lighter weight." Then they could put up a link to NanoSteel. Easy peasy! Why not do this so that the general customer who comes to the GM site can learn about that??

That way, the average customer hears about a great history, current and future innovations, hears that the C7 Corvette is on it's way, and that GM is moving forward and investing in innovation while showing some frugality by talking about existing steel manufacturing methods. Win-win!

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-30-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I agree
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
...with GM's marketing right now. You gotta 60th Corvette Anniversary and you got GM talking about Corvette chassis design through 'ages' on the front page of their corporate web site @ http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...hassis.gm.html. Not ONE MENTION OF THE C7's chassis possibilities. They didn't have to reveal anything specific, just add a paragraph or so like...

"And following in the footsteps of these classics, the next generation C7's chassis with continue this engineering innovation with an even lighter, stronger and more performance-oriented foundation using new technologies. For example, GM has recently invested in new nanosteel technology that provides all the pluses of existing steel manufacturing with improved strength and lighter weight." Then they could put up a link to NanoSteel. Easy peasy! Why not do this so that the general customer who comes to the GM site can learn about that??

That way, the average customer hears about a great history, current and future innovations, hears that the C7 Corvette is on it's way, and that GM is moving forward and investing in innovation while showing some frugality by talking about existing steel manufacturing methods. Win-win!
While I do see your point there, when I go into Wendy's (I don't actually eat much fast food any more but just roll with it LOL) for a burger, they don't advertise about a special new burger that isn't even out yet which might cause me to pass on their current burger, leave, and come back (or maybe not come back) later and buy the new one instead.
That would essentially be known as sabotaging the sale, they want to sell me a burger today and tomorrow, not just tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

What if the C7 isn't going to use NanoSteel? Then you would be pissed at GM for lying to you.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
While I do see your point there, when I go into Wendy's (I don't actually eat much fast food any more but just roll with it LOL) for a burger, they don't advertise about a special new burger that isn't even out yet which might cause me to pass on their current burger, leave, and come back (or maybe not come back) later and buy the new one instead.
That would essentially be known as sabotaging the sale, they want to sell me a burger today and tomorrow, not just tomorrow.
I agree, GM os noy revieling anything about the C7 until they sell as many 427 verts that they can
Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Christ Babe, do you ever sleep? You keep coming up with more to fret over every day.

Just relax amigo. GM will do as they want to, and the C7 will be just fine.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What if the C7 isn't going to use NanoSteel? Then you would be pissed at GM for lying to you.
So I guess they would talk about whatever new they might be using of course.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't think GM is currently concerned about advertising a vehicle that is...
-Not available for sale.
-Won't have any trouble selling all its first year production at sticker or more.
-Could take sales away from or lower the price of current inventory.

As for nano steel, I will be SHOCKED if this is used in the frame of the C7. The money GM threw at the Nano Steel company is pocket change they put aside to sprinkle about some small companies who are working on future gas saving technologies. This behavior is primarily to create power point bullet points in a list of actions GM is taking to secure a fuel efficient future. If this company ends up making an end product that GM can use... BONUS.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Christ Babe, do you ever sleep? You keep coming up with more to fret over every day.

Just relax amigo. GM will do as they want to, and the C7 will be just fine.
I did this in the middle of the afternoon. I'm not one of the many who hang out till all hours of the morning. I'm certainly relaxed, just can't help but notice the marketing screwups (IMO) that GM is (actually is NOT) doing, which are mostly missed opportunities. Maybe you haven't noticed but Corvette sales SUCK...
"Comparing July 2012 sales to July 2011′s number of 1,291 Corvettes sold, deliveries are off a whopping -23.5%."
Yet GM is totally quiet about Corvette outside of racing. Clearly, this strategy isn't working.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I suspect you take a little longer to ponder a Corvette sale vs a burger sale.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
I don't think GM is currently concerned about advertising a vehicle that is...
-Not available for sale.
-Won't have any trouble selling all its first year production at sticker or more.
-Could take sales away from or lower the price of current inventory.

As for nano steel, I will be SHOCKED if this is used in the frame of the C7. The money GM threw at the Nano Steel company is pocket change they put aside to sprinkle about some small companies who are working on future gas saving technologies. This behavior is primarily to create power point bullet points in a list of actions GM is taking to secure a fuel efficient future. If this company ends up making an end product that GM can use... BONUS.
You completely miss the point and I suspect you have no idea what you are talking about where NanoSteel might be used. BTW, read it again...A) It was an example of something GM COULD say B) I never said it will be used in the frame. C) NanoSteel could be used in numerous places that are not load-bearing areas giving better strength with similar weight.

As to taking sales away or lowering prices...
"Comparing July 2012 sales to July 2011′s number of 1,291 Corvettes sold, deliveries are off a whopping -23.5%." This is basically what silence about the Corvette is 'producing'.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I did this in the middle of the afternoon. I'm not one of the many who hang out till all hours of the morning. I'm certainly relaxed, just can't help but notice the marketing screwups (IMO) that GM is (actually is NOT) doing, which are mostly missed opportunities. Maybe you haven't noticed but Corvette sales SUCK... Yet GM is totally quiet about Corvette outside of racing. Clearly, this strategy isn't working.
The "Don't you ever sleep?" blew right over your head.

As to relaxed: You don't show that trait. Instead you have started more hand-wringing posts than any other CF member. That's OK, but really, relax.

The bashing of GM for their lack of PR is really old. They are doing this as they see fit. Your opinion, and the opinions of another 20 or 30 CF members (or 100 for that matter) doesn't keep them awake at night.

And I understand the current low Corvette sales. This is not a new phenomena. Learn your Corvette sales 'ups and downs' throughout the past 60 year history of the car, and add in some awareness of the economic situation of the past 5 years, and you'll have a better grasp of the situation.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

... "Comparing July 2012 sales to July 2011′s number of 1,291 Corvettes sold, deliveries are off a whopping -23.5%." This is basically what silence about the Corvette is 'producing'.
That's your opinion! Who proclaimed you 'God of Opinions'?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

The "Don't you ever sleep?" blew right over your head.

As to relaxed: You don't show that trait. Instead you have started more hand-wringing posts than any other CF member. That's OK, but really, relax.

The bashing of GM for their lack of PR is really old. They are doing this as they see fit. Your opinion, and the opinions of another 20 or 30 CF members (or 100 for that matter) doesn't keep them awake at night.

And I understand the current low Corvette sales. This is not a new phenomena. Learn your Corvette sales 'ups and downs' throughout the past 60 year history of the car, and add in some awareness of the economic situation of the past 5 years, and you'll have a better grasp of the situation.

Everyone here comments on the C7 and much of it is handwringing. So what? The bashing continues there on a daily basis. Why are you so worried about my minor missives? I'm touched that you are worried about me though!

If GM is peeking into this little forum, I want to send them a message about marketing and I appear to be one of the only ones who speaks about it being a problem. Kinda like the cannary in the coal mine I guess...it isn't really to bash them it is to point out there is a better approach.

You can talk all you want about GM/Corvette's past 'ups and downs' but that was then and this is now. There is FAR more competition for the Corvette than ever before plus there is a more dangerous economic situation for GM overall.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

That's your opinion! Who proclaimed you 'God of Opinions'?
Well, do you really disagree? Just what do you think it is producing? You think marketing has no real effect? You seem to think they are doing everything just right.

I know they are going to do what they want to do...that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, do you really disagree? ...
Yes, or I would not have posted my friend.

..You think marketing has no real effect? ..
My experience is that there is more than one way to skin a cat!

...You seem to think they are doing everything just right. ...:
GM has done a pretty good job with the Corvette for 60 years.

... I know they are going to do what they want to do...that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Yes, or I would not have posted my friend.

My experience is that there is more than one way to skin a cat!

GM has done a pretty good job with the Corvette for 60 years.

You know this is just my way of stirring the pot...

Get notified of new replies

To See, here is the problem...

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You know this is just my way of stirring the pot...

Stir away amigo!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

You forgot to make this a poll. lol.

so many going on now.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I suspect you take a little longer to ponder a Corvette sale vs a burger sale.
Not if you weigh 300 plus pounds, cuz then you wont get in a vette but can still get wendy's. lol not saying anyone here is 300 + by the way.

Quick Reply: See, here is the problem...