Sponsored by:

Quarter windows. For sure or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

As I recall the C6 Coupe is known for having a sturdier than usual roof structure with the fairly large B pillar. The Jalopnik C7 renderings make me question this mostly glass design-especially with the likelihood of federal requirements for increased robustness during rollover incidents. Perhaps there is a very sturdy bit of structural support hidden near the seam line between the window and "windowette".

Yes, I am quite aware with its low center of gravity these cars are far less likely to roll over but I Don't expect a federal agency to recognize this as part of any coming regulatory changes since they tend to "one size fits all" directives.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:42 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
Ox, The Jalopnik pic does show those shut lines on top of the fenders, something I completely missed. That makes for a big hatch, similar to the C6.

Having those quarter windows seems to lower the car, so they can work well but I still find something odd about how they were illustrated on Jalopnik
I just have to believe that those "quarter windows", (whatever they are) will open as a solid part of the hatch and the other windows will lower slightly and rise up to seal like they do now on the vertical edge of my convertible top.

This is one of those details we will have to wait to see how they come out. I am getting to be a fan of that rear end. Looks nasty!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
OK, based on these new pics I am guessing the quarter window is attached to the hatch and lifts with the hatch. Either that or the quarter window automatically drops when the hatch is opened and rises when it is closed.

Stunning! If that is even close to the C7, I can't wait to buy one. But, I'll patiently wait a few MYs
for the inevitable peformance upgrades.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Looking at the above red rendering, I could see where they would have the area of the glass & deck lid behind it open only. It seems like the simple solution & the hatch opening lines would not effect the design too much. This of course is speculation on my part which is based on a rendering that is speculating from spy photos & unconfirmed 2nd party renderings. To sum it up, we do not know much at this point but fun to speculate.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zland
Looking at the above red rendering, I could see where they would have the area of the glass & deck lid behind it open only. It seems like the simple solution & the hatch opening lines would not effect the design too much. This of course is speculation on my part which is based on a rendering that is speculating from spy photos & unconfirmed 2nd party renderings. To sum it up, we do not know much at this point but fun to speculate.
I'm no designer, but you seem to have forgot one thing in that "Form ever follows Function". The width of the hatch opening and the storage underneath must accommodate the width of the removable top if the C7 coupe indeed has one as I would speculate. Even thou the much narrower opening would seem simpler and be a cleaner looking design element, its intended function is not. I know, you could insert the removable top in length wise but that would be impractable, unwieldy, and a departure from a current successful solution.

"It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic,
Of all things physical and metaphysical,
Of all things human and all things super-human,
Of all true manifestations of the head,
Of the heart, of the soul,
That the life is recognizable in its expression,
That form ever follows function. This is the law."
Louis Sullivan
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

I'm gonna go out on a major limb here and say that, based only on what I have seen so far, there will be NO removable top on the C7.

The removable top of the C6 was the one thing that I thought made little or no sense. Why bother with an expensive piece like this anymore? If someone really wants to have an open top, make them buy a convertible!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
I'm no designer, but you seem to have forgot one thing in that "Form ever follows Function". The width of the hatch opening and the storage underneath must accommodate the width of the removable top if the C7 coupe indeed has one as I would speculate.
If you look close at the rendering of the red coupe it clearly shows the width of the hatch is greater than the width of the top. Keep in mind this is only a rendering.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by got2bblu
If you look close at the rendering of the red coupe it clearly shows the width of the hatch is greater than the width of the top. Keep in mind this is only a rendering.

Please, did you actually read the zland comment referenced in my post response before you made your post?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm gonna go out on a major limb here and say that, based only on what I have seen so far, there will be NO removable top on the C7.

The removable top of the C6 was the one thing that I thought made little or no sense. Why bother with an expensive piece like this anymore? If someone really wants to have an open top, make them buy a convertible!
You make a good point if the above rendering of the C7 has a rear quarter window. As I envision its top removed it leaves only the red area just above the quarter window in place thus ruining the look IMO. With the halo B pillar gone it just doesn't look right to me.

But what I liked best about my C6 was the removable top and especially that I purchased only the transparent one. With it in place it let the light coming threw which opened up the interior of the car. My only problem was that the top is a little heavy resulting in me taking it off more and more infrequently. Likewise a vert is $5000.00 higher in price, less $750 if you get the transparent top.

One solution, though I too am going out on a limb, would be to make an option to have the center section of the top only fixed transparent so that a cover could be removable from inside if the intruding heat requires it at time. The red areas would then be continuious from the C to the A pillar. But please, no moon roof or pop up!

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 09-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
roundlight lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how many channels that flatscreen will get?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
roundlight lover
Racer

and... how are "half round lights" more stylish than full rounds? Like a Camaro, it looks like the car has a migrane.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by roundlight lover
and... how are "half round lights" more stylish than full rounds? Like a Camaro, it looks like the car has a migrane.
How about this one? Migrane here too?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:56 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roundlight lover
I wonder how many channels that flatscreen will get?
I was thinking the same thing
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM
REO3
Advanced

Are these the pictures?

What if the rear hatch had a removable roof panel?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
You make a good point if the above rendering of the C7 has a rear quarter window. As I envision its top removed it leaves only the red area just above the quarter window in place thus ruining the look IMO. With the halo B pillar gone it just doesn't look right to me.

But what I liked best about my C6 was the removable top and especially that I purchased only the transparent one. With it in place it let the light coming threw which opened up the interior of the car. My only problem was that the top is a little heavy resulting in me taking it off more and more infrequently. Likewise a vert is $5000.00 higher in price, less $750 if you get the transparent top.

One solution, though I too am going out on a limb, would be to make an option to have the center section of the top only fixed transparent so that a cover could be removable from inside if the intruding heat requires it at time. The red areas would then be continuious from the C to the A pillar. But please, no moon roof or pop up!
I owned a C6 coupe. Imo the clean lined look was destroyed while the top was off, the inconvenience of removal and in car storage was even worse.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Look at the camo car roof, now look at the rendering, notice the center recess of the actual car is not as profound like the rendering depicts. Another aspect, check the side rails, the rendering has a higher wider profile than the camo car, which is somewhat like the C6. The leading edge, above the windshield, leads us to believe that the top is removable. The trailing edge of the roof seems to have an unusual extension, but is just a painted stripe hiding actual features to keep us guessing. I'm guessing the roof will be removable.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Look at the camo car roof, now look at the rendering, notice the center recess of the actual car is not as profound like the rendering depicts. Another aspect, check the side rails, the rendering has a higher wider profile than the camo car, which is somewhat like the C6. The leading edge, above the windshield, leads us to believe that the top is removable. The trailing edge of the roof seems to have an unusual extension, but is just a painted stripe hiding actual features to keep us guessing. I'm guessing the roof will be removable.
I think you are right because who has the time to make the roof appear like it comes off if it doesn't . GM can't be that crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Quarter windows. For sure or no ?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I think we still have not seen the actual car. Let's look at what has been seen of the real car. The molded production front bumper doesn't match the rendering. We can't tell much from the back side of the production rear panel, except the general outline seems to match the rendering? The roof on the camo car also doesn't have the same profile and dimensions shown on the rendering. What about a rear spoiler, none detected on the rendering, appears there on the camo car. The rendering is probably close, I think when the actual car is released we will see a much refined highly desired version.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I think we still have not seen the actual car. Let's look at what has been seen of the real car. The molded production front bumper doesn't match the rendering. We can't tell much from the back side of the production rear panel, except the general outline seems to match the rendering? The roof on the camo car also doesn't have the same profile and dimensions shown on the rendering. What about a rear spoiler, none detected on the rendering, appears there on the camo car. The rendering is probably close, I think when the actual car is released we will see a much refined highly desired version.
I think there is a spoiler on the rendering. The LED brake lites along the top of the rear are integrated into the molded spoiler. I will admit it doesn't look like much of a spoiler...and so much for aftermarket spoilers! Maybe it isn't molded in afteral...hard to tell.

I think this pic just shows tape covering the wire from whatever sensor that is on top of the car. The hatch lines do appear to match the rendering.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-03-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Can't find the reference

How about this one? Migrane here too?
Early in the game, somone from the Grand Am race tean said that the tail lights were supplied by GM and the team was told to use them on the car.

Sounds an awful like they're from the C7?

Quick Reply: Quarter windows. For sure or no ?