Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter windows. For sure or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Quarter windows. For sure or no ?

Something keeps bothering me about the Jalopnik pics .. It is the quarter windows. Are we positive that this will be a detail ?

I keep thinking Lamborghini Miura..
The bottom scoops are exact
The vents on the hood match
The taillights are similar
The grille is somewhat similar

The Jota model even has the side fender vent shaped like a seven

We are all crazy, right?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The rear quarter windows are EXACTLY what is bothering me also! I hate that look!

With the camo covering the rear end so well, who's to say that the C7 won't have a glass hatch similar to the C6?

I think I could live with the Jalopnik C7 if it wasn't for those dang Nissan-looking windows!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Whatever they do with the rear treatment, it's way past time to get rId of the outdated glass rear hatch bubble. Really time for a new look there I think. Put those in the same resting place as the old pop up headlamps. I am going to be surprised at this point if it does not have some kind of rear window treatment pretty close to the renderings.

Last edited by Frankie2blue; 09-01-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Retiring the rear canopy in favor of something generic seen on numerous other fastbacks is not my idea of positive change. I am hopeful that Corvette's treatment turns out to be distinctive; the renderings aren't.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Whatever they do with the rear treatment, it's way past time to get rId of the outdated glass rear hatch bubble. Really time for a new look there I think. Put those in the same resting place as the old pop up headlamps. I am going to be surprised at this point if it does not have some kind of rear window treatment pretty close to the renderings.
No more glass hatch, I think that is a given, what is bothering me is the strange way the quarter glass is sort of overlaid on the Jalopnik car in 2 out of three of their pics.

Maybe there is no quarter glass on the hatch , like the Miura.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The images we have seen do not have the correct proportions. It looks like there will be quarter windows and they will be incorporated into a rear hatch something like the C6, maybe the size of the C4 which is slightly larger.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John T
No more glass hatch, I think that is a given, what is bothering me is the strange way the quarter glass is sort of overlaid on the Jalopnik car in 2 out of three of their pics.

Maybe there is no quarter glass on the hatch , like the Miura.
That is interesting because I have felt for a while that it may not be a window at all but is being interpreted by us in these renderings as being a window. It could be a scoop of some sort possibly with an opaque panel that we are thinking is a window. If in fact it is a window it is going to be a darn small one that will be good for nothing as far as windows go. May just be enough to help with a blind spot created by the new roof design.
I am just really tired of every generation Corvette having the same basic big old curved glass window in the back. Though some may be real comfortable with the familiarity of that design, I am really hoping it disappears for good with this generation.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Retiring the rear canopy in favor of something generic seen on numerous other fastbacks is not my idea of positive change. I am hopeful that Corvette's treatment turns out to be distinctive; the renderings aren't.
It is a uniquely Corvette design cue that I would miss.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Yes it is a design that has been with Corvette since what, 1975? I would think by now that its time to head for a different direction. It's also a design that has not been totally "unique" to Corvette as everything
from the Camaro, Mazda etc, etc has had that dated design oversized rear window canopy.most have now departed with it just as they have departed with the silly pop up headlights, dash grab handles and other dated designs. I just don't think there is a way to retain that design and push the cars evolution ahead. If ths new C7 looks like a slightly revamped C6 with the same styling cues and more goodies on it, I think the brand will be in serious trouble. I think a change is long overdo and will translate to accelerated sales for the future and longevity of this car.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Biggest problem for me is how the car will look with the roof off. A proper Targa hoop, or the original Shark flying buttresses, is the best look when the Targa panel is removed.

I think the anticipated "c-pillar" look, which is nice in some renderings (especially the most recent rear 3/4 where the backlight is somewhat indented) will look weird with the panel off.

Interestingly, the last Porsche Targa had a huge sliding glass panel which fit with the the c-pillar look and was largely open air except for the connecting side window frames. This would work well with the rendered design, and add to chassis/body stiffness, but takes away from the open-air aspect of the current Vette Targa approach. Probably heavier and costlier as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Yes it is a design that has been with Corvette since what, 1975? I would think by now that its time to head for a different direction. It's also a design that has not been totally "unique" to Corvette as everything
from the Camaro, Mazda etc, etc has had that dated design oversized rear window canopy.most have now departed with it just as they have departed with the silly pop up headlights, dash grab handles and other dated designs. I just don't think there is a way to retain that design and push the cars evolution ahead. If ths new C7 looks like a slightly revamped C6 with the same styling cues and more goodies on it, I think the brand will be in serious trouble. I think a change is long overdo and will translate to accelerated sales for the future and longevity of this car.

Well said.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Car and Driver has about 60 pics of the camo car

On 2 of these pics the r/s window of the car is half way down . The quarter window has a thick and wide vertical gasket that would block the vision thru the quarter window. This " quarter window " appears solid and not glass.

Why would 2 of the Jalopnik pics show a totally funky quarter window that doesn't fit properly when the rest of the photo is flawless?

Forgive me but I can't post pics with my IPad yet..
Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Larry/car
The images we have seen do not have the correct proportions. It looks like there will be quarter windows and they will be incorporated into a rear hatch something like the C6, maybe the size of the C4 which is slightly larger.
It appears that there are no shut lines to the hatch from a side view. I think the hatch will open in a similar fashion to the the smaller hatch on the Ferrari F12. A smaller and lighter hatch can help the structural rigidity because more of the panels can stay fixed to the main structure of the car.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Car and Driver has about 60 pics of the camo car

On 2 of these pics the r/s window of the car is half way down . The quarter window has a thick and wide vertical gasket that would block the vision thru the quarter window. This " quarter window " appears solid and not glass.

Why would 2 of the Jalopnik pics show a totally funky quarter window that doesn't fit properly when the rest of the photo is flawless?

Forgive me but I can't post pics with my IPad yet..
Are these the pictures?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Thanks for posting the pics b blu, that helps a lot

Okay, it still could be glass but if it is glass, it is very heavily tinted and the side window is not..Why do that if the car is covered in camo?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Lets get Corvette's design into the 21st century.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics b blu, that helps a lot

Okay, it still could be glass but if it is glass, it is very heavily tinted and the side window is not..Why do that if the car is covered in camo?
There are usually very strict laws on the tint for side window. Most states only allow 50-35% tint. The quarter window would not have that same restriction and could be 5% tint.

Get notified of new replies

To Quarter windows. For sure or no ?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, based on these new pics I am guessing the quarter window is attached to the hatch and lifts with the hatch. Either that or the quarter window automatically drops when the hatch is opened and rises when it is closed.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Ox, The Jalopnik pic does show those shut lines on top of the fenders, something I completely missed. That makes for a big hatch, similar to the C6.

Having those quarter windows seems to lower the car, so they can work well but I still find something odd about how they were illustrated on Jalopnik
Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

If they do quater windows, I bet they'll be fixed; won't open or close, and only the center section of the "hatch" will open.

OP, the Miura, IMO, is gorgeous.

Quick Reply: Quarter windows. For sure or no ?