Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 has NO targa top?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say, it will be very interesting to see what the convertible version of this car will look like.
I'd like to hope that they do away with a cloth top convertible.
I've always liked how a vert looks with top down, but NEVER liked it's looks with top up.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the top off the coupe all the time. If no targa is available, I hope the vert has a bit more trunk space than the C6, but would probably buy the vert.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
I have to say, it will be very interesting to see what the convertible version of this car will look like.
I'd like to hope that they do away with a cloth top convertible.
I've always liked how a vert looks with top down, but NEVER liked it's looks with top up.
TOTALLY disagree. What is wrong with a cloth top? The take up far less room and weigh a lot less than a retractable roofed car.

Having owned a retractable roof car for 2 years, I found that it wasn't worth the wasted room and we got rid of it. It got out of synch/adjustment once and it took a week to get it adjusted so it wouldn't leak in the rain.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocita

to answer the question: targa top is a must! It is the main reason I selected the GS over the other corvette models.
???? I don't have a GS and I have a Targa Top.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:53 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I love the targa top personally. Could have used a bit better execution on the C6 but if given the choice I would keep it and deal with any minor issues.

I did not want the convertible for several reasons (cost, looks) and think the targa top is a great selling point for the Coupe. Like any other feature, it is not for everyone.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM
high wire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
I love the targa top personally. Could have used a bit better execution on the C6 but if given the choice I would keep it and deal with any minor issues.

I did not want the convertible for several reasons (cost, looks) and think the targa top is a great selling point for the Coupe. Like any other feature, it is not for everyone.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Badluck33
Racer

I've always owned a Targa Top in my 4 corvettes. Its what I choose to purchase on the c7 if it is available.

It would truly suck tremendously if it was true that they don't offer it on the new c7....
Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Badluck33
I've always owned a Targa Top in my 4 corvettes. Its what I choose to purchase on the c7 if it is available.

It would truly suck tremendously if it was true that they don't offer it on the new c7....
I wouldn't worry about losing the targa top. If you seen some of the spy shots from car and driver I think, there is tape on the roof showing that there's a top.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I predict the C7 coupe will still have a targa roof.

Look at the "snow" photos. You can see (1) the roof panel isn't a C6 panel because the center depression isn't the same, and (2) the rear roof panel seam aligned with the rear edge of the side window.

I use the targa. C7 would be much less appealing to me without it. I dislike cloth tops, and a moonroof is a poor substitute. A folding hardtop means no hatchback, and I don't want to give up the hatchback either.

GM might make more folks happy if on the base C7 they offered a fixed roof that made the car stiffer than the latched-shut targa or convertible. Weld/bolt it in, and eliminate the halo seam. Just don't eliminate the targa option; it's too cool.

.Jinx
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
C6-Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

They ditched the T-Top with the new camaro so they might do the same with the Corvette targa.

I say make it an option
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Took the targa off of my first C5 maybe five times the first year i owned it(2006). The 4 1/2 years I owned my 2nd C5, never took the targa off. Now I own an FRC. So I would not be heart-broken if the Targa went away.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
TOTALLY disagree. What is wrong with a cloth top? The take up far less room and weigh a lot less than a retractable roofed car.

Having owned a retractable roof car for 2 years, I found that it wasn't worth the wasted room and we got rid of it. It got out of synch/adjustment once and it took a week to get it adjusted so it wouldn't leak in the rain.
They look like crap.
I have yet to see a cloth top anything where the top looks good.
It never looks like it's part of what the car should look like.

It looks like "in case of rain, put this over the interior so it doesn't get wet".

I do agree with the rest of your statements though. They do weigh less and do take up less space. They just don't look as good as a removable top or a retractable hard top.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this is very interesting, but the C7 will not have a completely new chassis and body support
structure! if we are to believe so-called insiders. That means a lot of the more radical guesses about it are not even possible. I'm guessing most of the conjecture about changes that require major structural changes will prove to be wrong.

Last edited by catbert; 09-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarBoy
They look like crap.
I have yet to see a cloth top anything where the top looks good.
It never looks like it's part of what the car should look like.

It looks like "in case of rain, put this over the interior so it doesn't get wet".

I do agree with the rest of your statements though. They do weigh less and do take up less space. They just don't look as good as a removable top or a retractable hard top.
Maybe some day we will have the best of all worlds...a lightweight, flexible top that looks like a hard top but can 'fold' up and take very little space.

Hey, you materials science students! Get to work!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by catbert
All this is very interesting, but the C7 will not have a completely new chassis and body support
structure! if we are to believe so-called insiders. That means a lot of the more radical guesses about it are not even possible. I'm guessing most of the conjecture about changes that require major structural changes will prove to be wrong.
Which insiders are you quoting who speak of chassis construction?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

First, there are no "photos" of the C7 so we don't know if it has a fixed roof ala the 'rendering' or not. Also, an open car (coupe or 'vert) accounts for a majority of Corvette sales. GM would really eff up the car without this feature.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Jinx
I predict the C7 coupe will still have a targa roof. ....

I use the targa. C7 would be much less appealing to me without it. ...
.Jinx

The top on my coupe is off the car 95% of the time from April or so until October or so.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 has NO targa top?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Bmorevette
Racer

I love being able to remove the top! I hate the look of a convertible with it's top raised so that has never been an option for me and taking the targa off is an awesome alternative IMO
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
I am glad that this thread was created so I can segue into a complaint that I have had about the steel frame car. In 08 I had the aluminum Z06 , sold it and every so often, borrow my friend's Z51 C6.

I felt that the Z06 was stiffer , no rattles, and just all around felt better.

I could do without a lift off roof to get an ultra stiff platform.

2 of the 3 vettes I've owned have been fixed roof coupes. Both tight as a drum, no squeaks, no rattles.

I'm with Ox on this one - go with a fixed roof coupe and a vert.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by OnPoint
2 of the 3 vettes I've owned have been fixed roof coupes. Both tight as a drum, no squeaks, no rattles.

I'm with Ox on this one - go with a fixed roof coupe and a vert.
I'm simply laying out a case for why they may NOT do a targa top based on the images I am seeing now and some of the problems they have had with them in the C6.

Because I don't like them anyway, I have no real skin in the targa top game!

Quick Reply: C7 has NO targa top?