Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by donavonknight
.... The unreleased and not in production C7 rendering look very similar to the in production and released to the public Viper from a side view. ... .
Get your facts straight. The new Viper is NOT in production yet. :
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Get your facts straight. The new Viper is NOT in production yet. :
Just an opinion but I think that new Viper is the gaudiest, cheesiest , most horrible interiored , over priced , and cartoonish automobile in recent years.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

As the saying goes, " There is no wine until its time".
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh Snap!

http://www.crownchryslerdodgenews.co...y-For-Charity/

Another source so you do not embarrass yourself again!

http://wot.motortrend.com/first-prod...on-222821.html

I do have my facts straight.

You should read about the competition before they pass you by.
As to the BJ sale, that wasn't actually a production car...
Event organizers were quick to clarify that the car driving across the stage was not the actual SRT Viper model the lot winner would be driving home, since the vehicle was still a prototype, but the right to get the very first production SRT Viper off Detroit’s Conner Avenue line when production officially begins in a few months.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Not that it really matters for the C7 but the pricing and production of the SRT Viper is still slated for the 4'th quarter of 2012 but the vehicle is NOT yet available or in production.

This feels like a bad case of Deja Vu. I have been keeping an eye on the Canon EOS 1DX which is Canon's top digital SLR because I plan to replace mine which is the previous model. Canon received a similar "lashing" from enthusiasts and would-be enthusiasts because it wasn't released quickly enough. From early reports it appears the wait was well worth it and as soon as the street price drops a bit I will place my order. I expect to have the same experience with the C7 although its street price will be about 10X the camera price and 100X the fun
Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh Snap!

I do have my facts straight.

You should read about the competition before they pass you by.
I didnt see where it said it was in production. Just that it will be this year, which is now Sep so there are still a few months, and the winner of the auction wasnt getting that one as it was a prototype. They always have a car or two before actual production for stuff just like this. But I guess the way to find out is try to buy one.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

GM is not going to rearrange Corvette's schedule to avoid losing a handful of sales to Viper.

The first Vipers will go to Viper fans who wouldn't buy a Corvette anyway. (Or who are moneyed enough to have one of each, or buy a new car every year or two.)

Corvette won't compete head-to-head with Viper for sales until a higher performance C7 is revealed, and that probably won't happen for over a year.

As for C7 reveal, why would they NOT do it at the Detroit show? It's home turf, and it gets huge press.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Jinx
GM is not going to rearrange Corvette's schedule to avoid losing a handful of sales to Viper.

The first Vipers will go to Viper fans who wouldn't buy a Corvette anyway. (Or who are moneyed enough to have one of each, or buy a new car every year or two.)

Corvette won't compete head-to-head with Viper for sales until a higher performance C7 is revealed, and that probably won't happen for over a year.

As for C7 reveal, why would they NOT do it at the Detroit show? It's home turf, and it gets huge press.
Haven't they always revealed the new Corvette at the Detroit Show? I know the vert C6 was revealed in Geneva to generate some Euro press.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Did someone suggest they rearrange the C7's schedule or not do the Detroit show? They list over 5000 members of the media.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

In the case of the C6, how long after the coupe was shown was the convertible shown?

The C6 coupe was first shown at the Detroit show?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh Snap!

I do have my facts straight. Actually you do NOT. ....
Read your second link; it was a pre-production car.

And then read this one.

http://www.racer.com/first-productio...rticle/247516/

See what it states? Production will start later this year. You can find that fact in many places once you learn how to search the web better.

Don't embarrass yourself too much more on this issue.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
As to the BJ sale, that wasn't actually a production car...
Thanks Babe!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, the production will begin in a few months! That was June, this is September. A few months is up and where is the lookalike C7?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Thanks Babe!
Sure...
Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I'm sorry, I just have to get in here:

1. It is NOT a DODGE Viper anymore, it is SRT Viper
2. Anyone that thinks the SRT Viper looks like anything other than the previous gen Viper coupe, time for new glasses!
3. Anyone that thinks the Viper will have ANY impact on C7 sales, please do some research on Viper sales through the years. The Viper is NOT now and never has been a Corvette competitor. From 2002 to present, the BEST YEAR of Viper sales was 2003 with 2,103 cars sold FOR THE YEAR (about a normal MONTH of Corvette sales back then).
From a sales standpoint, the Viper's biggest competitor seems to be the Nissan GT-R, which is struggling to move 150 cars a month in the US (I saw some sales numbers for the GT-R that were shocking, like January 2011 where Nissan sold 22 GT-R's in the U.S.!!!!!

Jimmy
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But ya gotta love the suspense!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I'm sorry, I just have to get in here:

1. It is NOT a DODGE Viper anymore, it is SRT Viper
2. Anyone that thinks the SRT Viper looks like anything other than the previous gen Viper coupe, time for new glasses!
3. Anyone that thinks the Viper will have ANY impact on C7 sales, please do some research on Viper sales through the years. The Viper is NOT now and never has been a Corvette competitor. From 2002 to present, the BEST YEAR of Viper sales was 2003 with 2,103 cars sold FOR THE YEAR (about a normal MONTH of Corvette sales back then).
From a sales standpoint, the Viper's biggest competitor seems to be the Nissan GT-R, which is struggling to move 150 cars a month in the US (I saw some sales numbers for the GT-R that were shocking, like January 2011 where Nissan sold 22 GT-R's in the U.S.!!!!!

Jimmy

Especially over all the gushing over its looks. It is the same basic car on the outside as the expired car.

Get notified of new replies

To Has GM waited too long?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Especially over all the gushing over its looks. It is the same basic car on the outside as the expired car.
That's been the funniest thing to me also, in profile, the "new" Viper looks exactly the same as the previous generation coupe. But hey, the new one has lots more scoops and such.

Jimmy
Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Did someone suggest they rearrange the C7's schedule or not do the Detroit show? They list over 5000 members of the media.
Actually, you brought up the possibility:

Some think a January auto show (like the C6) unveiling is set but from what I have seen we could be into spring before we see the unveiling, with deliveries probably in late summer or early fall...but who knows?
HZ3 also commented.

Originally Posted by HZ3
If it goes til Spring that ABSOLUTELY they waited longer than they should have... I would like at least 3 months before if I plan on buying a C7 considering I will have to preorder any limited production car I do buy.

A January unveiling should be a lock this car is finished its being driven people have seen it. GM should wait until a major event like the Auto Show for the unveiling as not only will the next few months build anticipation but the sheer magnitude of onlookers will help the cars marketability. Unveiling it on Car and Driver is just cheap. If they however miss the Detroit Auto Show than heads should roll... if they are that desperate to sell 13s they need to wait 3 months before they are being shipped at Dealers than that's just pathetic...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Actually, you brought up the possibility:

HZ3 also commented.
I wasn't suggesting that they wait til spring, only that I haven't seen anything official about it being in January. I don't know why they would put the reveal off unless they just aren't ready.

I think it would be a mistake to put it off til spring unless you were selling them very soon thereafter and from what I can tell that's not gonna happen because they aren't ready at the factory.

Quick Reply: Has GM waited too long?