Sponsored by:

Has GM waited too long?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM
donavonknight
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has GM waited too long?

Last edited by donavonknight; 02-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by donavonknight
With the Dodge Viper being released before the C7 image embargo has GM waited too long? The rendering of the C7 closely resemble the Viper just as the past C6 did. So do you think GM has made a terrible mistake by not allowing pics to be released?
Great question . I used to get so angry with the American manufacturers for showing a car 2 years before you could buy it.

Now I think it is time to see this car. Right now !

Damned if you do - Damned if you don't !
Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't know what GM is thinking lately but I would like to be a fly on the wall.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well it depends on how you look at it. I certainly believe GM has kept the C6 around too long, but there were a lot of factors out of GM's control.

But given where they are right now, how can they release all info if they can't even start building them for quite a while yet? The factory is going to have a ton of revamping work done to build the C7 and that has a long way to go.

Some think a January auto show (like the C6) unveiling is set but from what I have seen we could be into spring before we see the unveiling, with deliveries probably in late summer or early fall...but who knows?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

They still have a crap load of c6's on the lot and still being built. Need to get that inventory down first.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

With the Dodge Viper being released before the C7 image embargo has GM waited too long? The rendering of the C7 closely resemble the Viper just as the past C6 did. So do you think GM has made a terrible mistake by not allowing pics to be released?
Another variation on something beaten to death already.

IMHO, no GM has not 'waited too long'.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

When I was a kid I always thought my parents waited too long to get up on Christmas morning

I believe a lot of people who would like to believe GM is waiting too long have similar self interest

If a lot of people really like the new C7 what will truly seem TOO long is waiting for your car to be built!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

If I were employed at Blue Ox marketing and had the GM account, I would do a teaser right now of a nighttime shot of just the rear of the C7.
Those neon taillights could give all of us a lot of hope !
Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM
HZ3
Racer

If it goes til Spring that ABSOLUTELY they waited longer than they should have... I would like at least 3 months before if I plan on buying a C7 considering I will have to preorder any limited production car I do buy.

A January unveiling should be a lock this car is finished its being driven people have seen it. GM should wait until a major event like the Auto Show for the unveiling as not only will the next few months build anticipation but the sheer magnitude of onlookers will help the cars marketability. Unveiling it on Car and Driver is just cheap. If they however miss the Detroit Auto Show than heads should roll... if they are that desperate to sell 13s they need to wait 3 months before they are being shipped at Dealers than that's just pathetic...
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

No.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

I definitely think they waited 2-3 years too long to bring out the C7. But the more I think about it I think it will be well worth it b/c I think we will see a much better C7 in 2013 oppossed to the one we would have seen in say 2011.

I just have this strong feeling that we will finally see a no excuse high level Corvette (not just talking about performance here). If not then Jaguar F type here I come! There is no other car south of $140K (not that I can afford anything over this amount at this time anyways) I lust for except the C7 (hopefully) and the Jag F Type.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
If I were employed at Blue Ox marketing and had the GM account, I would do a teaser right now of a nighttime shot of just the rear of the C7.
Now yer talkin'! Just a hint of reality. Next month, a little writeup about Corvette design influences that reference the tail light photo already released.

Then in Nov., we see a silhouette of the engine with the sound of it revving, with a comment or two by an unseen Gen V engine test technician.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
I definitely think they waited 2-3 years too long to bring out the C7. ....
Maybe, but four years ago GM had issues and the economy was worse than it is now, so standing 'pat' was appropriate from a business point of view.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
I would also change the way a sports car like the C7 (or C8 as the C7 die is already cast) is revealed. I'd reveal the car in Jan. for sale in March or April. Why wait from Jan. to October to actually sell a Corvette? October is way too late in the year for most parts of the country. Why not strike while the iron is hot? Better for the dealers and better for the customers trading in.

Yes, I realize the BG factory isn't ready for the C7 to do this but, in the future, this timing makes a lot more sense to me...at least for the Corvette.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Maybe, but four years ago GM had issues and the economy was worse than it is now, so standing 'pat' was appropriate from a business point of view.
Agreed releasing a new Corvette after the Wall Street Melt Down and around the same time as the bailout would have been dumb.

Alot of people who could have even purchased it off the floor the day it hit dealers would have even been scared given GMs uncertain future (think warranty) and the economic collapse.

Hell people were talking about stocking up in gold and fire arms and moving to the desert not to long ago

This is the perfect time now that things have calmed down. Honestly the C6 isn't even that dated in comparison with some of the crap thats riding the streets.

I see at least a few C5s in my area daily and hardly any C6s. It's a popular car sure but it's certainly not outlived its lifespan given the fact that they have released what 4 versions of it? The Grand Sport is still better looking than 75% of whats on the road.

How many cars can say they have that many options on one model and all of them over 50K?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

They have waited too long. Lots of reasons for it, some unavoidable, but they have waited too long.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I would also change the way a sports car like the C7 (or C8 as the C7 die is already cast) is revealed. I'd reveal the car in Jan. for sale in March or April. Why wait from Jan. to October to actually sell a Corvette? October is way too late in the year for most parts of the country. Why not strike while the iron is hot? Better for the dealers and better for the customers trading in.

Yes, I realize the BG factory isn't ready for the C7 to do this but, in the future, this timing makes a lot more sense to me...at least for the Corvette.
Sorry, but this is not correct for the C6 back in 2004 and I suspect the C7 will follow a similar time frame from reveal to purchase. My personal experience with purchasing an '05 C6 was:

1) Saw the C6 on the internet from spy shot on carrier late 2003.
2) 1/4/04 Found a dealership expecting allocation and placed a refundable deposit of $1k
3) Saw the "It's a Boy's Dream" Commercial early 2004
4) Saw the C6 coupe and vert at New York Auto Show 4/04
5) Being moved to first on list (5 allocations) my Dealer called 5/04 for me to make option choices to enter order for production at BG. PR 6spd Coupe,trans top, 1SB, polished wheels.
6) Order accepted for production 6/12/04
7) Scheduled for production 8/5/04
8) Produced 8/19/04 #1176
9) Delivered to my dealer 8/30/04 I took a look and paid for it! 1st C6 sold in Delaware.
10) Early morning 8/31/04 - C6 prepped, full tank of gas, and now "Miles of Smiles" for the next 6 1/2 years!

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 09-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Has GM waited too long?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Not only that, but you also have to take into account that they hired some 200 extra employees, and I've read somewhere that the XLR section was closed off as to give training to the new employees to operate the new machinery that BG had installed for the C7. The delay is justified on that basis. The assembly quality has to be there from the get go.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM
roundlight lover
Racer

I don't understand the constant Viper connection. The new Viper still looks like something out of a weird redneck nightmare.
Corvette stands alone as an American thinking man's sports car.
As far as the wait, GM has alot of rear end caps to sort through before the final retail unit can be shown. Do you really think people from Jalopnik (or any group) were shown the final design? Do you really think that a Corvette would be built to look like that Hot Wheels toy car we've seen on the video?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
If it goes til Spring that ABSOLUTELY they waited longer than they should have... I would like at least 3 months before if I plan on buying a C7 considering I will have to preorder any limited production car I do buy.

A January unveiling should be a lock this car is finished its being driven people have seen it. GM should wait until a major event like the Auto Show for the unveiling as not only will the next few months build anticipation but the sheer magnitude of onlookers will help the cars marketability. Unveiling it on Car and Driver is just cheap. If they however miss the Detroit Auto Show than heads should roll... if they are that desperate to sell 13s they need to wait 3 months before they are being shipped at Dealers than that's just pathetic...
Don't worry. The 2014 C7 will not be a limited production car and they will not run out of them before you get a chance to purchase one. Expect a full 12 month production run of 2014's and then many years of C7's being built after that.

Quick Reply: Has GM waited too long?