This angle looks very good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
If you look at the Omega Tool pic of the rear facia mold, there is a lot more 3 dimensionality to it then these renderings would indicate. I agree, it is a large flat area but I imagine there is more there than what we are seeing so far. What bugs me is how large the license plate area is and I can imagine an aftermarket piece that fits into that large area to break it up.

That's probably intentional to accommodate European sized plates.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That's probably intentional to accommodate European sized plates.

Yeah, still bugs me tho. Hopefully will have something else in there for U.S. models
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That rear is horrible...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudeurgettnavette
That rear is horrible...
I now like it, a lot. Assuming this is close, it will be a big hit. Enough old f@rts (like me) plus a whole host of 30-40 somethings will be lining up with open checkbooks. Why? Because it looks by God like a Vette but is not stuck in the past. And the Camaro rear? Seriously? It is now not even close.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRBob
If these renderings are on the money, it means we will have yet another flat-*** slab rear end Corvette. Everything else looks good. Why can't they get the *** end right??

Geez. Give me strength.
Flat rear end is there for aerodynamics - fuel economy. It's not going away and is only going to get worse. Look around at all the new cars.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slare
Flat rear end is there for aerodynamics - fuel economy. It's not going away and is only going to get worse. Look around at all the new cars.
Actually, if you look at the rear facia mold on the Omega Tool video, there is a lot more 3-dimensionality to it than the renderings would indicate. The C6 rear end is way flatter.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Actually, if you look at the rear facia mold on the Omega Tool video, there is a lot more 3-dimensionality to it than the renderings would indicate. The C6 rear end is way flatter.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, but I'm still trying to figure that out. The video seems to show a deep concave "V" in the middle of the rear fascia, and we have yet to see that in any of the renderings. Is that just an optical illusion, or is there more yet to be "revealed"?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, but I'm still trying to figure that out. The video seems to show a deep concave "V" in the middle of the rear fascia, and we have yet to see that in any of the renderings. Is that just an optical illusion, or is there more yet to be "revealed"?
The Jalopnik drawing shows this detail but not close enough to see an outward " V " shaped crease. Keeks may have confirmed this too. I really believe this is part of the " Stingray look " . The painted part of this back panel and tail light surround is really very minimal. Then , below this, you have the aero/exhaust panel which appears to be in a different material and color. This panel seem to have much more curve than any of the Trinity pics show.

Last edited by John T; 09-08-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John T
The Jalopnik drawing shows this detail but not close enough to see an outward " V " shaped crease. Keeks may have confirmed this too. I really believe this is part of the " Stingray look " . The painted part of this back panel and tail light surround is really very minimal. Then , below this, you have the aero/exhaust panel which appears to be in a different material and color. This panel seem to have much more curve than any of the Trinity pics show.
Thanks! So - do we think this will result in a minor "boat tail" type effect. or is it really very minor, kind of like the back of my (a) '67 or mid year? The tooling video makes it look quite pronounced.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Thanks! So - do we think this will result in a minor "boat tail" type effect. or is it really very minor, kind of like the back of my (a) '67 or mid year? The tooling video makes it look quite pronounced.
I think the back panel will have a more pronounced "V" than your 67' ( just like Omega Tool pic ). The big mystery is how the hatch will flow along the back deck then into the rear fascia.

Although that sounds radical , I have been told the car is conservative in it's styling.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
I think the back panel will have a more pronounced "V" than your 67' ( just like Omega Tool pic ). The big mystery is how the hatch will flow along the back deck then into the rear fascia.

Although that sounds radical , I have been told the car is conservative in it's styling.
The Jalopnik Renderings don't look conservative to me (not at all). However, the latest black Trinity rendering does. That said, ever since Jalopnik started backing the Trinity renderings, I started to believe that Jalopnik doesn't know as much as they claim to know.

Pretty sure that the hatch will flow in a "V" shape to hint at some corvette heritage. I cannot imagine them bring that hatch straight back. As is, that giant square back glass looks like a 70" flat screen TV.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
The Jalopnik Renderings don't look conservative to me (not at all). However, the latest black Trinity rendering does. That said, ever since Jalopnik started backing the Trinity renderings, I started to believe that Jalopnik doesn't know as much as they claim to know
Pretty sure that the hatch will flow in a "V" shape to hint at some corvette heritage. I cannot imagine them bring that hatch straight back. As is, that giant square back glass looks like a 70" flat screen TV.
I agree with your second paragraph
As for Jalopnik: picture a similar style pic of a 458. I think the back of the car would appear hideous if drawn in that fashion.

Welburn never said the pics were inaccurate but said that they needed the passion that the real car embodies.

My source has spoke of an evolutionary look and if you "squint " I can see evolution everywhere except for the roof line. That is the most mysterious detail.

I am very frustrated that Trinity did not more accurately depict the 2 piece and 2 tone rear fascia.

As for evolution ( or lack of ) on the rear I see it differently. If you raise that black/grey surround around the back up lights on the C6 about a foot and change the tail lights, you may get a similar appearance to the C7
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

I'm convinced of this myself. Can anyone draw or do photoshop? I'm betting the sape is close to that of the c6 glass hatch, despite not being all glass.

Last edited by RJ-92; 09-08-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
I'm convinced of this myself. Can anyone draw or do photoshop? I'm betting the sape is close to that of the c6 glass hatch, despite not being all glass.
I did about as much as I could with Paintshop Pro to taper the rear glass and C post toward the center. In the Omega vid there looked to be an up-kick (taller) center section that started right above the center ends of the tail light buckets. IMO that will be the spot the C post will terminate, giving the rear glass less of a square look. I also added some black in the lower panel, made the light bezels darker, and did the best I could to make the side glass more visible from the rear.

Mike
Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like this will be the 1st time that Corvette copies styling from Camaro. I love Camaros, but leave the square tail lamps on Camaros. The large black grill looks ugly and NOT aggressive at all. The front needs more, of something, to present that intimidating looks that the Z06 has. Same problem with the front of the new Viper, weak looking. The rear quarter panel reminds me of a 370Z. As it stands, this doesn't excite me at all. I'm sure the Z06-equivalent version will look way better.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
I did about as much as I could with Paintshop Pro to taper the rear glass and C post toward the center. In the Omega vid there looked to be an up-kick (taller) center section that started right above the center ends of the tail light buckets. IMO that will be the spot the C post will terminate, giving the rear glass less of a square look. I also added some black in the lower panel, made the light bezels darker, and did the best I could to make the side glass more visible from the rear.

Mike
already looks better to me...those simple tweaks just eliminated the camaro quarter panel and roof line similarities. I believe something like this is far more accurate.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 09-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To This angle looks very good!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

I've just noticed how much better that shape would flow with the angles of the exhaust and tag surround.. and inboard ends of the tail lights.

Last edited by MikeG37; 09-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like how the car looks in these renderings and think that the C6 will look very dated the minute the C7 hits the street
Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Paulchristian;1581777664]already looks better to me...those simple tweaks just eliminated the camaro quarter panel and roof line similarities. I believe something like this is far more accurate.[/

Mike man, My brother, you are a magician!!! This car now looks almost good enough to buy !

I am teasing with the brother BS but I am very pleased with the roof.

Now, if you feel like it , Jalopnik shows the rear fascia as two separate pieces. Right below the tail lights it becomes another section completely, different material, texture and color.

Thanks for your work!

Quick Reply: This angle looks very good!