Sponsored by:

C7 a wide body or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C7 a wide body or not?

Trinity Animation has re-rendered the comparative images they produced a while back to more accurately represent the cars. Given that these views are less 'distorted', and that the Z06 is pictured next to the C7, would you say the C7 'base' is now a wide-body or not?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty wide to me!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh noooo the rear end is starting to look very sharp to me. I'm really starting to like the lines of this car.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I will bet that the original C7 concept ( the one that Akerson said he wanted narrowed) was no wider than an existing C6.

It is the new design that tricks the eye into appearing wider when in fact it is not
Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

It looks to me like the outside of the rear fenders is at least as wide as the fender 'flares' of the Z06. Yet the actual rear of the C7 looks smaller.

I can easily visualize this car as the C7R!!

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I do know I like the bottom area of the C6 much better. The black gives a nice color contrast and brakes up the body color just right IMHO. Exhaust pipes also look much better on C6.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
I do know I like the bottom area of the C6 much better. The black gives a nice color contrast and brakes up the body color just right IMHO. Exhaust pipes also look much better on C6.
If you study the actual Jalopnik pic that shows the rear you will be very pleased . I really was hoping Trinity would reflect this on their pic but not so far.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Trinity Animation has re-rendered the comparative images they produced a while back to more accurately represent the cars. Given that these views are less 'distorted', and that the Z06 is pictured next to the C7, would you say the C7 'base' is now a wide-body or not?
Look at the roof width of the two cars, the C7 shows much wider. That is unlikely. I would guess they do not have the scaling right. The C6 does not appear to have wide enough rear tires to be a wide body.

The are not pictures of three cars taken next to each other. These are 3 renderings/pictures that edited into the same shot. I suspect the relative sizing is off.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a camaro rear window, camaro tailights and camaro side hips.....

Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Racer X
Look at the roof width of the two cars, the C7 shows much wider. That is unlikely. I would guess they do not have the scaling right. The C6 does not appear to have wide enough rear tires to be a wide body.

The are not pictures of three cars taken next to each other. These are 3 renderings/pictures that edited into the same shot. I suspect the relative sizing is off.
If the C7 is going to have the capability to have Racaro seats, I would expect the roof width to be wide enough to accept them.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

From that angle, I'm starting to like the C7. It has the big hips like the C5 has.

As or the tire width, with this body, they could have narrower tires for a base model, with the wheel/tires set outward, and for a high performance model with wider wheels/tires, just increase the wheel's backspacing so the outer edge of the tire is the same as the base car, but the additional width is inboard. That way, new flared fenders are not needed in order to have wider wheels/tires on a high performance model, helping keep the cost down on the high performance model.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

The Jalopnik pics / Omega Tool pics hint towards a rear window that tapers back to match the concave detail on the the rear fascia ( Stingray look )

With this detail in place the C7 with appear narrower
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

If the C7 is going to have the capability to have Racaro seats, I would expect the roof width to be wide enough to accept them.
I was always under the impression that the Recaros not fitting in C6 was more a frame rail location issue, than an actual interior volume issue.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CPhelps
I was always under the impression that the Recaros not fitting in C6 was more a frame rail location issue, than an actual interior volume issue.
Could be both have changed.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

It looks to be almost 20% or 6-8 inches wider to me, maybe more. Do you think it would be that much wider, to accomodate recaros? that is a HUGE amount.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

It looks to be almost 20% or 6-8 inches wider to me, maybe more. Do you think it would be that much wider, to accomodate recaros? that is a HUGE amount.
Just a theory and certainly could be other factors at work. I also assume that there is a 'halo' inside that roof area to support the hatch and targa top.

20% and 6-8 inches are YOUR claims, not mine.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Placing a straight edge on my flat sceen monitor, I see the C7's top is 10% wider then the C6's. My C6 top measures 46" wide, so adding 10% means the C7's top is 4.5" wider.

I doubt that the C7's roof is that much wider then the C6's roof. I don't think the two cars are sized/scaled correctly when they did the photoshop.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 a wide body or not?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Placing a straight edge on my flat sceen monitor, I see the C7's top is 10% wider then the C6's. My C6 top measures 46" wide, so adding 10% means the C7's top is 4.5" wider.

I doubt that the C7's roof is that much wider then the C6's roof. I don't think the two cars are sized/scaled correctly when they did the photoshop.
So as you measure for the internal halo and then add the glass width of the quarter windows from both sides on top of that, what measurement do you come up with?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

So as you measure for the internal halo and then add the glass width of the quarter windows from both sides on top of that, what measurement do you come up with?
I was measuring the width of the roof panel at the point that the side windows touch the roof panel. My Z06(just like the Z06 in the photo), has the hydroformed aluminum 'B' piller covered by the plastic halo. Why would the C7 be any different just because it has thin 1/4 panel windows, instead of the thin plastic halo like my Z06 has?

The driver/passenger and their respective seats are located forward of the 'B' piller, thus the hydroformed 'B' piller can intrude into the paseneger compartment without reducing the shoulder/head width for the driver/passenger. Unless the center box section of the space frame is widened, the passenger compartment dosen't need to be wider. I'm 6 ft, 215 pounds and I don't have a problem with the width of the interior for my head, shoulders or hips. I don't think they should design the Corvette for 5'5" people that weigh 400 pounds. They are not the norm.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I was measuring the width of the roof panel at the point that the side windows touch the roof panel. My Z06(just like the Z06 in the photo), has the hydroformed aluminum 'B' piller covered by the plastic halo. Why would the C7 be any different just because it has thin 1/4 panel windows, instead of the thin plastic halo like my Z06 has?

The driver/passenger and their respective seats are located forward of the 'B' piller, thus the hydroformed 'B' piller can intrude into the paseneger compartment without reducing the shoulder/head width for the driver/passenger. Unless the center box section of the space frame is widened, the passenger compartment dosen't need to be wider. I'm 6 ft, 215 pounds and I don't have a problem with the width of the interior for my head, shoulders or hips. I don't think they should design the Corvette for 5'5" people that weigh 400 pounds. They are not the norm.
Well, the real issue remains is the C7 a wide body or not? I'd say so based on what speculative comparisons we have at this point.

Below are the images from Trinity. I complained to them about the first set of these images because there was a lot of distortion. Jim agreed and they re-rendered them and reposted them yesterday. All I did was crop down the original in Pshop to show the GS next to the C7.
First version...

Latest version...

Here is what Jim said about this process...
Originally Posted by Jim_Lammers
We took some time at Trinity to re-render the C5/C6 comparison shots with a telephoto lens (so that there is minimal camera lens foreshortening). So these are very flat CAD-like comparisons but at least relative sizes are easy to judge when you are wondering how our C7 model compares to the past 2 generations. The C5 model is from viewpoint and the C6 Grand Sport model is from TurboSquid. The C7 model is exactly the same as all other images and animations we've made.
If you have any more questions or complaints about the image, go ask Trinity.

Quick Reply: C7 a wide body or not?