Sponsored by:

Xlr

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Default Xlr

Passed a caddy XLR on the road today & I swear the back deck, window &, top looked like the renderings. Possible we are getting a folding hard top?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
roundlight lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Passed a caddy XLR on the road today & I swear the back deck, window &, top looked like the renderings. Possible we are getting a folding hard top?
No.
But I'm all for a folding rear end that hides the trapezoids!!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been predicting a folding top for months now.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

That would make some folks very happy. If it meant there was no soft top, it would probably make a lot more folks very unhappy. Unless they figured out a way to make it really lightweight and not chew up more storage space than cloth.

.Jinx
Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

What would a folding hardtop do to cost, weight and balance?

On other cars they consume trunk space much worse than soft tops.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Considering that corvette is using CF on some panels do you really think the complex, heavy retractable top is on their list of must haves....
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see a retractable hardtop. Takes way too much space/weight unless they do something really new and phenomenal with the materials/design.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Just sayin: the shape, layout and look on the renderings appear to be the same as the XLR I passed the other day. Should be easy enough if your interested to find a pict of the rear end of an XLR and compare it to one of the renderings, see for yourself.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be all in: atleast on the base car. I think that should be the base touring car. Then the GS should offer a rag top or a fixed roof then go to the Z's. I think that would add some buyers and help differentiate all the models moreso.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Just sayin: the shape, layout and look on the renderings appear to be the same as the XLR I passed the other day. Should be easy enough if your interested to find a pict of the rear end of an XLR and compare it to one of the renderings, see for yourself.
I've seen several XLR's and test drove one also. The XLR was made before the C6 so if you want to compare, the C6's shape is the same too. Not going to have a retractable top because it would just take up way too much trunk space...ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

BlueOx,
No argument. My original tread starter was about the rear deck, rear window and the top as it might compare to the renderings. Not the whole car and not the rear of the car, not the side and not the front. It was not about the space issues, the weight or anything else, just that the renderings looked similar.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be cool if the targa was 100% see-thru and would slide down and inside the car under the hatch. No more fussing with the top. Like a SUPER wide sun roof. I think that would be the coolest targa. When the targa slides back, it wouldn't obstruct your vision because it would be right in line with the back window. If you think about it, the new lines on the back hatch would allow for this to happen. Just a short maybe 1.5ft targa that simply slides back... that would be a serious win.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
It would be cool if the targa was 100% see-thru and would slide down and inside the car under the hatch. No more fussing with the top. Like a SUPER wide sun roof. I think that would be the coolest targa. When the targa slides back, it wouldn't obstruct your vision because it would be right in line with the back window. If you think about it, the new lines on the back hatch would allow for this to happen. Just a short maybe 1.5ft targa that simply slides back... that would be a serious win.
Interesting concept for the vette. However, a sunroof, on a vette, not sure if many folks would like that...

I think the Targa option is just more sporty, less moving parts, lighter...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
That would be a seriously complicated mechanism. To slide back, the top has to get narrower to clear the B-pillars, which means it has to be two pieces that slide together and overlap in the middle. And the whole roof has to be taller so as not to hit passengers in the head. A mechanical nightmare.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Interesting concept for the vette. However, a sunroof, on a vette, not sure if many folks would like that...

I think the Targa option is just more sporty, less moving parts, lighter...
I don't mean that it WOULD be a sun roof... The whole thing would slide back. Like an automated targa. The way I'd picture it is that the windows roll down, the sides of the targa pull inward about an inch, and then the whole panel slides in 1.5 feet.

Originally Posted by Jinx
That would be a seriously complicated mechanism. To slide back, the top has to get narrower to clear the B-pillars, which means it has to be two pieces that slide together and overlap in the middle. And the whole roof has to be taller so as not to hit passengers in the head. A mechanical nightmare.
It WOULD definitely be complicated. That's for sure. But it wouldn't have to go back far at all. 1.5 feet isn't much when you look at the design of the back hatch. That hatch is probably 3.5-4 feet long. Another 6" of room for the halo as well. Maybe a yard of it's actually tapering in only so slightly. If the halo is about half a foot at least, you're looking at about 1 foot on clearance needed to pull back which should be fine.

Of course, I don't expect that the C7 will have anything like this, but I think it would definitely be cool.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

But a targa roof will be just as wide as the b-pillars, unless your side windows are severely canted inward and the b-pillar protrudes far outward of the windows.

What holds the hatch up when the whole width of the roof slides back? How do the outer edges of the roof not bang into the b-pillars?

.Jinx
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jinx
But a targa roof will be just as wide as the b-pillars, unless your side windows are severely canted inward and the b-pillar protrudes far outward of the windows.

What holds the hatch up when the whole width of the roof slides back? How do the outer edges of the roof not bang into the b-pillars?

.Jinx
That's why I was saying that the outter part would come inward about an inch before sliding back.

Hey, I'm not a mechanical engineer... I'm better suited as an imaginateer in this case.

I'm sure if I sat down with some paper I could figure it out. The SMART car does something similar except it leaves the side bars for you take off and put in the trunk.

Get notified of new replies

To Xlr

Quick Reply: Xlr