Theory about the Tail-lights

Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Theory about the Tail-lights

Original Camo

New Camo

There is one glaring difference between this photo from a few months ago to the recent one taken a few days ago. Notice the cut-outs in the camo for the tail-lights, its a rectangular opening. The newer photo's show the cut-out in the camo to be 2 round circles. My theory is the lights aren't round, they're rectangular thats why the older camo was made that way to reflect the taillights shape. After all the controversy, I think they made subsequent camo covers to hide the real shape with the 2 circles and also to try to deceive and trick. Think about it, if your the guy who originally has to order the camo covers and they ask you what shape do you need for the taillights, your going to say the shape of the tailights, not what you think people would want to see in a debate months ahead in the future! Just a guess, what do you guys think?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

The inner set of tail lights are most definitely round. I've seen them from 5 feet away. I also believe the outer two (brake lights) are round. I've seen the brake lights both on and off from a very close distance, numerous times. I saw the tail lights on five different cars, all from close distances, numerous times. The outer two lights are not in the same horizontal plane as the inner two, and are slightly higher up. The holes in the "bra" don't line up properly with the outer lights, so it masks them somewhat.

Everyone seems to be so focused on the stupid tail light issue that they are missing many other critical details about the car.

I have photos of three different types of wheels on the different cars, and the rear spoiler appears to be different on some of them. I also have a photo that shows new seats in the car. I also believe I detected slightly different exhaust notes coming from some of them, and I think they had several engine configurations they were testing. I followed several of the cars at close distance.

I'll also add this. Those cars in camo covers with their raspy exhaust note, look and sound very sinister out on the road.

Brenda Priddy has about 2 dozen MORE photos from me that have not yet been released to anyone (including Road and Track), and they are by far the best ones of any taken by anyone. I suspect once they are released, you'll have some more stuff to talk about.

Last edited by CSixDude; 09-18-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, like how did it look inside? Did you hear it run? Does it sound like it's an LS car?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
The inner set of tail lights are most definitely round. I've seen them from 5 feet away. I also believe the outer two (brake lights) are round. I've seen the brake lights both on and off from a very close distance, numerous times. I saw the tail lights on five different cars, all from close distances, numerous times. The outer two lights are not in the same horizontal plane as the inner two, and are slightly higher up. The holes in the "bra" don't line up properly with the outer lights, so it masks them somewhat.

Everyone seems to be so focused on the stupid tail light issue that they are missing many other critical details about the car.

I have photos of three different types of wheels on the different cars, and the rear spoiler appears to be different on some of them. I also have a photo that shows new seats in the car. I also believe I detected slightly different exhaust notes coming from some of them, and I think they had several engine configurations they were testing. I followed several of the cars at close distance.

I'll also add this. Those cars in camo covers with their raspy exhaust note, look and sound very sinister out on the road.

Brenda Priddy has about 2 dozen MORE photos from me that have not yet been released to anyone (including Road and Track), and they are by far the best ones of any taken by anyone. I suspect once they are released, you'll have some more stuff to talk about.

how many pics were taken?

I'm guessing that Brenda only released the decent ones and is probably going to sell the better ones for $.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beach
Yeah, like how did it look inside? Did you hear it run? Does it sound like it's an LS car?
I heard five different cars from litterally feet away. Most of them had a very raspy, hollow, sort of sound, but the tone wasn't quite as deep as the C6's. It's pitch was maybe just slightly higher.

One car I heard sounded like it "might" have had a 6 cylinder in it, but I can't be sure of that.

Another car snuck up from behind me and glided by without making a sound at all. I don't know if he put in the clutch and coasted by or what, but it was like it was electric, and totally silent. I suspect he just lifted off the throttle and put in the clutch.

They played a game of cat and mouse with me, trying to avoid my camera, and tried to make it difficult for me to get good photos.

All cars had open laptops in the passenger seat doing data logging at all times. The dash was covered with camo as well, and the instruments were also shielded from view, so I never got much of a look at the interior, but I did get one shot that shows the upper third of the passenger seat in full view with sunlight on it.

I also got to watch one car perform at high speed through some twisty mountain roads for several miles when he tried to run from me. It corners very flat with almost no body roll.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I heard five different cars from litterally feet away. Most of them had a very raspy, hollow, sort of sound, but the tone wasn't quite as deep as the C6's. It's pitch was maybe just slightly higher.

One car I heard sounded like it "might" have had a 6 cylinder in it, but I can't be sure of that.

Another car snuck up from behind me and glided by without making a sound at all. I don't know if he put in the clutch and coasted by or what, but it was like it was electric, and totally silent. I suspect he just lifted off the throttle and put in the clutch.

They played a game of cat and mouse with me, trying to avoid my camera, and tried to make it difficult for me to get good photos.

All cars had open laptops in the passenger seat doing data logging at all times. The dash was covered with camo as well, and the instruments were also shielded from view, so I never got much of a look at the interior, but I did get one shot that shows the upper third of the passenger seat in full view with sunlight on it.

I also got to watch one car perform at high speed through some twisty mountain roads for several miles when he tried to run from me. It corners very flat with almost no body roll.
Hmmm, could be cylinder deactivation and other such trickery.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the reason the taillights are such a "big deal" is because Corvette taillights have been round for 60 years!

It's exactly the same reason that back in '03 and '04 when there was much speculation about the new C6 for '05 and the "fixed headlights"....

Ooohhh, the HORROR!

But look at us now.....
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Badluck33
how many pics were taken?

I'm guessing that Brenda only released the decent ones and is probably going to sell the better ones for $.
Let's just say, I have a LOT. Some of them Brenda got after she had already released some to Road and Track. The best ones haven't been released so no one but me and her have seen them so far. I'm letting her handle the release of them, as this is her business and I'm letting her take care of it. I trust you'll see them soon.

Last edited by CSixDude; 09-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Badluck33
Racer

Originally Posted by Luster
I think the reason the taillights are such a "big deal" is because Corvette taillights have been round for 60 years!

It's exactly the same reason that back in '03 and '04 when there was much speculation about the new C6 for '05 and the "fixed headlights"....

Ooohhh, the HORROR!

But look at us now.....
c4 were square...
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Badluck33
c4 were square...
And these don't exactly look round either...and I love these!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster

Ooohhh, the HORROR!

But look at us now.....
Except that this time there's no credible "they're more functional" argument to be made.

It remains to be seen if a different taillight design brings people into the Corvette fold who confess they never liked the round-taillit butts of previous cars.

I still contend that what we've seen on camouflaged cars so far are temporary taillights, not production units.

.Jinx
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
Except that this time there's no credible "they're more functional" argument to be made.

It remains to be seen if a different taillight design brings people into the Corvette fold who confess they never liked the round-taillit butts of previous cars.

I still contend that what we've seen on camouflaged cars so far are temporary taillights, not production units.

.Jinx

But it's just gotta have round tail lights! They are so unique to Corvette!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

UGH!! This is some crap!! Csixdude get the c7 in his backyard, I got the ats-v! Those guys tried to run from me (i was driving a police car) bad idea! If it was the C7 you guys would have a ton of info! Lol before anyone ask I didn't have much interest in the ats-v they were testing, except it was a QUICK car
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Beach, you're such a tease. Did it sound like a V8 or a blown V6?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx

But it's just gotta have round tail lights! They are so unique to Corvette!
This doesn't count -- it's just a pedal car.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
This doesn't count -- it's just a pedal car.
No, no, it's a future Mustang!!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
mmtr
Intermediate

You think they could be round inside of the rectangle? Something kind of like the cruze tail lights?

Maybe round instead of the half circle in a rectangle housing?

Get notified of new replies

To Theory about the Tail-lights

Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Original Camo

New Camo

There is one glaring difference between this photo from a few months ago to the recent one taken a few days ago. Notice the cut-outs in the camo for the tail-lights, its a rectangular opening. The newer photo's show the cut-out in the camo to be 2 round circles. My theory is the lights aren't round, they're rectangular thats why the older camo was made that way to reflect the taillights shape. After all the controversy, I think they made subsequent camo covers to hide the real shape with the 2 circles and also to try to deceive and trick. Think about it, if your the guy who originally has to order the camo covers and they ask you what shape do you need for the taillights, your going to say the shape of the tailights, not what you think people would want to see in a debate months ahead in the future! Just a guess, what do you guys think?
What are you talking about? The exterior canvas "camo" has round openings on both. The crazy white/black stuff you see on the rest of the car is just a vinyl wrap they slap on to make the lines of the car harder to interpret. It comes on rolls that have to be cut. It's rather reasonable to expect they're just going to cut out rectangular strips and plaster them on the body as they see fit. This is why you see the "shape" around the temporary tail lights looking different from mule to mule... just imagine ripping off strips of 3" painters tape to sloppily cover the area around the light. Furthermore, the actual lights on these cars are just generic round LED units you can get most anywhere.

There's no mystery... look at the Omega tooling rear fascia mold and compare it to the Jalopnik rendering. It's going to be a trapezoidal type housing with some kind of light elements inside. Not rocket science.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Those are round. You remove the red tinted outer cover and you will find the same round taillights/lenses as used in the 1956 and 1957 Corvettes, just in white. The outer covers give the white bulb/lense a red tint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNf3Twjcptc

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-18-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Ox, this is a very good (Corvette) example of what we'll end up seeing on the C7. Round tail lights of some sort housed in an overall assembly that isn't round.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Theory about the Tail-lights