Sponsored by:

The new trans in C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtyWiz
ZF isn't supplying the 7-spd manual for the C7 Corvette, TREMEC is. However, I found that out two years ago so it is possible GM switched suppliers of the 7-spd transmission from TREMEC to ZF since that time.
and your source is ? i trust Werner as a source, but hey lets see in january 2013

Rune
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Don't know what the complete transaxle weighs, but the Corvette TR6060 weighs 125 pounds. The Corvette 6L80 A6 weighs 250 pounds.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by TheDirtyWiz
ZF isn't supplying the 7-spd manual for the C7 Corvette, TREMEC is. However, I found that out two years ago so it is possible GM switched suppliers of the 7-spd transmission from TREMEC to ZF since that time.
What did he say ??????
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Don't know what the complete transaxle weighs, but the Corvette TR6060 weighs 125 pounds. The Corvette 6L80 A6 weighs 250 pounds.
Are you sure?
I thought that the TR6060 might've weighed just a little bit more than that...and that the 6L80 (the Corvette version at least as there are actually three slightly different ones I believe) weighed closer to 220 pounds?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
TheDirtyWiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
and your source is ? i trust Werner as a source, but hey lets see in january 2013

Rune
Without getting too specific, someone directly tied to the driveline aspect of the C7 project. They (Tremec & GM) were already doing vehicle testing of the 7-spd manual two years ago.

It's a completely new design as that 7-spd will only be available to GM for the first three years of its existence, after which Tremec could sell it to someone like SRT for use in the Viper.

However, you are right and we will find out in a few short months if all that is really true.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Coach G
Racer

Default I aggree

Originally Posted by coolcat
+1

Manual transmissions are going the way of the horse and buggy.
and so is the LS7.

That is why this "ole fart just bought a 427 convertable".
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Are you sure?
I thought that the TR6060 might've weighed just a little bit more than that...and that the 6L80 (the Corvette version at least as there are actually three slightly different ones I believe) weighed closer to 220 pounds?
2008 TR6060 weighs 121 lbs wet. Z06/ZR1 weighs slightly more.

Corvette 6L80 weighs 227 lbs wet. My memory was off on that one.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Who is keeks? What does he have to do with GM? Keeks may be on to something. Yet again maybe not. Most of what I have seen are drawings and speculation. I will hold judgement until I see the official car.
Who is Keeks?

Well you obviously don't live here in the C7 section like a few of us do.

Here. You have some catching up to do.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...e-info-12.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...more-info.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...in-jersey.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...n-fenders.html

I'll see if I can find him mentioning the tranny's
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
Who is Keeks?

Well you obviously don't live here in the C7 section like a few of us do.

Here. You have some catching up to do.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...e-info-12.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...more-info.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...in-jersey.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...n-fenders.html

I'll see if I can find him mentioning the tranny's
Actually I'm aware of his posts, and some great conjecture on his part. I will wait for the official unveiling by Chevy until I make a final judgement.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Actually I'm aware of his posts, and some great conjecture on his part. I will wait for the official unveiling by Chevy until I make a final judgement.
I'm thinking most people think he's "the real deal" given his brief censure at this site for images posted. I think he made a distinction between things that were facts and conjecture/assumptions.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slynky
I'm thinking most people think he's "the real deal" given his brief censure at this site for images posted. I think he made a distinction between things that were facts and conjecture/assumptions.
Only time will tell. I'm thinking people are going to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Keeks is a good guy and the info that he passed on to CF was accurate . GM would not benefit by not stating facts on this forum and neither would keeks.
When keeks was on a roll here that was an exciting time on this forum. He is missed for sure.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love an automatic trans for my four door daily driver, but for a sports car, I prefer a manual shifter as long as my knees hold out.

I can see a day, however, when having an automated manual will be the choice for me.

I think it would be nice to have a choice, like a manual transmission which can be operated automatically with the push of a button. No idea how they would do that, probably impossible, but it would be neat. Then every Corvette would be both a manual and automatic.

Personally, when I drove my Vette almost every day to work and back, I usually loved the manual trans., but there were times when caught in traffic, etc. when I didn't like it so much. The older you get, the more you have to think about weather or not you want to use your left knee 80 or 90 times on the drive in to work or not.

TomZ
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by John T
Keeks is a good guy and the info that he passed on to CF was accurate . GM would not benefit by not stating facts on this forum and neither would keeks.
When keeks was on a roll here that was an exciting time on this forum. He is missed for sure.
Keeks is a great guy. I have read his posts,and love his passion. Let me play devils advocate for a moment here. How is it that anyone here knows what he passed along is 100% accurate?

It may well prove to be Keeks is spot on. Either way I'm waiting for the official unveiling until I judge the C7.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Keeks is a great guy. I have read his posts,and love his passion. Let me play devils advocate for a moment here. How is it that anyone here knows what he passed along is 100% accurate?

It may well prove to be Keeks is spot on. Either way I'm waiting for the official unveiling until I judge the C7.
I believe that point was brought up before. There could potentially be hundreds of different CAD drafts, each with subtle variations. Does Keeks have the final version or just another design iteration? Who knows.

We'll find out soon.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX

As far as rumors go, I recall Dave Hill spoke at our corvette club in 2004, and said they were evaluating a DCT for the corvette back then.

I wonder if it would be possible to "automate" the manual T6060 with electronic actuators. Like the Ferrari F1 transmission. I would pefer a true DCT, with no hurky jurky shifts between gears.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX

Originally Posted by vetmts
A lot of people still enjoy the third peddle. At the end of the day a DCT is still a fancy automatic. But it is each to his/her own. I applaud GM for keeping the manual alive as it is for the truly skilled and enthused.

Please.......... DCT's are for people who are serious about going fast. If the old manual boxes where all that, Corvette racing would have them in there cars.

You should go to Katech, and show them how much faster you are with your awesome shifting skills. Johnny O, Mags, those guys are *****'s compared to a "truly skilled and enthused" driver as yourself.

Dream on.

Get notified of new replies

To The new trans in C7

Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Please.......... DCT's are for people who are serious about going fast. If the old manual boxes where all that, Corvette racing would have them in there cars.

You should go to Katech, and show them how much faster you are with your awesome shifting skills. Johnny O, Mags, those guys are *****'s compared to a "truly skilled and enthused" driver as yourself.

Dream on.
I think you miss the point of "truly skilled and enthused". It doesn't mean the person thinks they are better than a professional winning race car driver. It means they are skilled (they shift fast and rarely miss a shift) and drive for enjoyment and the experience and involvement. Professional car racing is not about enjoyment, involvement, or the experience of driving fast, it is about winning, period.

It is not about ego, and being the fastest, it is about enjoyment.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Racer X
I think you miss the point of "truly skilled and enthused". It doesn't mean the person thinks they are better than a professional winning race car driver. It means they are skilled (they shift fast and rarely miss a shift) and drive for enjoyment and the experience and involvement. Professional car racing is not about enjoyment, involvement, or the experience of driving fast, it is about winning, period.

I'll second that.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Racer X

Exactly, and well stated too.

Quick Reply: The new trans in C7