Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new trans in C7

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My kid just got a 2013 VW GTI with a DSG dual clutch auto w\paddles that puts my 2009 A6 to shame. Someone tell me that the C7 will have a transmission at least as good as the $25k GTI.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I think you miss the point of "truly skilled and enthused". It doesn't mean the person thinks they are better than a professional winning race car driver. It means they are skilled (they shift fast and rarely miss a shift) and drive for enjoyment and the experience and involvement. Professional car racing is not about enjoyment, involvement, or the experience of driving fast, it is about winning, period.

It is not about ego, and being the fastest, it is about enjoyment.
Thank you.

I know this is going to come as shock to some people here, but some of us manual drivers also turn off the electronic nannies before going into the twisties. I know. I know. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. As anachronistic as it seems, we really like to work on the "art of driving".

Michael
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Thank you.

I know this is going to come as shock to some people here, but some of us manual drivers also turn off the electronic nannies before going into the twisties. I know. I know. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. As anachronistic as it seems, we really like to work on the "art of driving".

Michael
I did that with my first two C5s(stock A4 and 580hp 6spd). I havent had the ***** to try that with my current one yet. I think I'll take Spring Mountain's Beginner and Advance driving schools before I push the little button on the center console on 830hp/700tq when in the twisties.

But yes this one is a 6spd, and I wouldn't have it any other way for my sports cars.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Monts
My kid just got a 2013 VW GTI with a DSG dual clutch auto w\paddles that puts my 2009 A6 to shame. Someone tell me that the C7 will have a transmission at least as good as the $25k GTI.
The C7 will have a transmission at least as good as the $25k GTI.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
Seldom if ever does the product definition or the criteria for evaluation lie in the engineering department. Some function, usually associated with marketing, makes the product definition and the evaluation criteria. Example, the flexible flyer chassis of the C4 resulted from the Chevy product manager deciding that all Vetts would have a removable panel roof without a T Bar reinforcement. This decision came too late in the design cycle to permit the proper redesign of the chassis for strength.

The criteria for placing the oil filter has to do with ease of assembly on the production line, space availability in all the vechiles where the engine will appear, and proper lub function, not on ease of replacement. Ease of replacement is not considered.

At one time GM styling was famous for designing cars that could not be manufactured and then blaming the engineering/production departments. For example, the three (3) bolt wheel Corvette concept car from California whose chassis couldn't hold a V8.

Add to all this the MBA mentality and the Government appointed management and it's a miracle anything fuctional gets out the door.
There is no "like" button so I wanted to say thanks for a great post.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:02 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
SS what?
Simply just Chevrolet SS, it's a Holden (GM Australia) based sedan not unlike the awesome Pontiac G8 GT/GXP that's coming out soon.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Monts
Pro

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The C7 will have a transmission at least as good as the $25k GTI.

and you know this how?

The GTI DSG is almost flawless.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

and you know this how?

Monts, From quite a few sources it has been reported that there will be 2 transmissions offered with the C7 in model year 2014. The Aisin 8 speed auto that is currently used in the Lexus and the ZF 7 speed manual that is currently used in the new Porsche 911.

I have read a few tests on the Lexus and they are very,very pleased with that particular transmission.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

and you know this how?

The smiley he included at the end says to me he told you that, because you asked for "someone to please tell you...", not because he knows/believes it to be true.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Monts
Pro

Originally Posted by CPhelps
The smiley he included at the end says to me he told you that, because you asked for "someone to please tell you...", not because he knows/believes it to be true.
Yes, you are probably correct, I missed that smiley!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
+1

Manual transmissions are going the way of the horse and buggy.
This is true but I still prefer it! Manual transmissions that is...
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

and you know this how?

Originally Posted by CPhelps
Yes, you are probably correct, I missed that smiley!
Win.

Quick Reply: The new trans in C7