Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7-XTS bar light compo from 1st teaser vid

Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C7-XTS bar light compo from 1st teaser vid

I know there are some who are not happy about the idea of Audi-style beady lighting on the C7. Here is what I think we will see which is more of a light bar. 2013 XTS on left...C7 on right.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Are all those light bars surrounding headlights these days supposed to serve any practical purpose? Or are they merely visual bling to make the front look more "interesting"?

If the latter, I can't wait for this fad to go the way of giant chrome fins on the tail.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Are all those light bars surrounding headlights these days supposed to serve any practical purpose? Or are they merely visual bling to make the front look more "interesting"?

If the latter, I can't wait for this fad to go the way of giant chrome fins on the tail.
I suspect the latter. I fail to see what other purpose they could serve. But lighting as part of styling is old news. I actually like some of the examples out there. I like the XTS, for example. Is it necessary? No.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxyJFrUqms
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I suspect the latter. I fail to see what other purpose they could serve. But lighting as part of styling is old news. I actually like some of the examples out there. I like the XTS, for example. Is it necessary? No.
Great stuff Oxman. Audi got everybody's attention with their futuristic light program and the Cadillac program is very tasteful. The latest trend is the light tube and I like it a lot.

I heard the C7 will have some interesting interior lighting too.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, Ox. That stuff bugs me from the perspective of long term reliability and integrity. More moving parts, more plastic to get broken or water damaged or filmed over on the interior. More pieces that cost extra to replace. More internal wiring relays and fuses to go wrong electrically. More bulbs to get broken or burn out. Sigh.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Thanks, Ox. That stuff bugs me from the perspective of long term reliability and integrity. More moving parts, more plastic to get broken or water damaged or filmed over on the interior. More pieces that cost extra to replace. More internal wiring relays and fuses to go wrong electrically. More bulbs to get broken or burn out. Sigh.
I hear ya. I'm sure not feeling the need for it but it can look pretty cool.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
lake_bueller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are a modern (and better) version of the daytime running lights. The LED bulbs have a longer (much, much longer) life and don't have "vibration" issues of standard bulbs.

Personally, I like the look and the visibility they provide during the daytime. Especially when its rainy/snowy. Most idiots around here don't turn on their headlights is ****** weather.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Which brings me to reflect back to my youthful exuberance and awe. It was fun while it lasted and even today it still does to many. Nice read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/au...ef=automobiles

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I will take anything that replaces a filament bulb. Even Harley-Davidson has made the jump into the 21st century with LED lighting. Brighter, longer lasting light that uses less amperage and thus creates less heat inside the housing. This is the reason the that law enforcement has embraced the new LED light bars. More aerodynamic, much smaller yet with greater light output.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

I for one like all the additional reflective and luminous components. It simply adds a bit of panache to what could otherwise be a boring and uninspired design. Not unlike thoose 50's [rocket man] chrome fins, making the car look high tech for it's day. So today it's all about the lightning contributing to the aire of high tech.

Audi's string bead lighting adds a bit style and interest -works well so why not for the vette.

Last edited by User 2623; 11-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually they do serve a purpose. It's far easier to see cars with those light bars in the rear view mirror. Especially if they're silver colored cars and a cloudy day. They actually make sense from a safety stand point. They're not overly bright, but you can definitely see them from far away.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Actually they do serve a purpose. It's far easier to see cars with those light bars in the rear view mirror. Especially if they're silver colored cars and a cloudy day. They actually make sense from a safety stand point. They're not overly bright, but you can definitely see them from far away.
Given we are driving a smaller and lower car, additional lighting that might help others see us (and not pull out in front of us) is appreciated. If its not just a boring bulb, all the better.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I don't get to see a lot of cars with those lights. We have way brighter car lights already from what they used to be but I could see where the 'light bars' might make a real difference in other drivers noticing the cars they are in.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I love the LED bars. They look futuristic and they are much more visible during daytime driving. I'm guessing they also draw alot less power than standard DRL, due to their LED composition.

Audi started this trend. And everybody else is jumping on!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I love the LED bars. They look futuristic and they are much more visible during daytime driving. I'm guessing they also draw alot less power than standard DRL, due to their LED composition.

Even Kia has them, at least they look like it to me when they are driving down the road.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Even Kia has them, at least they look like it to me when they are driving down the road.
If Kia has them it's time to do something else............. I hope the C7 won't look like it's "late to the party"................. maybe Blue Ox's idea of a light bar will be better than just another LED clone.........?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

Everyone form the New KIA to the New Lamborghini has these, so you can mbet the C7 will also.

Get notified of new replies

To C7-XTS bar light compo from 1st teaser vid

Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Flex182
Everyone form the New KIA to the New Lamborghini has these, so you can mbet the C7 will also.

Flex, I am assuming the second pic is a Lambo of some sort.....The headlights are just incredible.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Badluck33
Racer

I know there are some who are not happy about the idea of Audi-style beady lighting on the C7. Here is what I think we will see which is more of a light bar. 2013 XTS on left...C7 on right.
I agree 100%. No way they are going to make a GM car look like an AUDI. It'll look very similar to the XTS. No doubt in my mind..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM
01vetteC5
Instructor

First- blue ox I want to say thanks for keeping the C7 forum interesting.

Second- I think the C7 will have some kinda Light bar and knowing GM it is going to be very similar to the Caddy ones. I don't think they will look that bad at all. Plus all the newer nice cars have them. They just replace the DRL's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7-XTS bar light compo from 1st teaser vid