Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Caddy to build 2 seat halo car

Looks like if the new head of Cadillac has his way, there will again in short order be another 2 seat sports car bearing the Cadillac logo. I would lay odds that if this comes about that it will come down the line in B G along side the C7. The article is on to days leftlane news.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Link?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by millpond
Link?
http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...ports-car.html
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GM should make up its mind about what their HALO car will be.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Thanks MikeyTX
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Great. Maybe this means the "shift to reverse" shutdown FEATURE will return in the first year manual C7's. And...my heart be still....the return of:

DBS

Jimmy
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by BlueOx
GM should make up its mind about what their HALO car will be.
Each brand within GM has a right to a halo car. I don't ever see GM choosing one brand over the other. That would be counter productive.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

"Cadillac is considering" = "wouldn't it be cool if"

Cadillac ATS-V, the next-gen CTS, and ATS and CTS coupes are coming.
Also coming is the Cadillac ELR coupe.

An S-Class competitor has been on and off the rumor market for a while. A two-seat halo coupe besides all those? Cool, but just how many irons can they put in the fire at once?

So, you know, don't hold your breath.

.Jinx
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
"Cadillac is considering" = "wouldn't it be cool if"

Cadillac ATS-V, the next-gen CTS, and ATS and CTS coupes are coming.
Also coming is the Cadillac ELR coupe.

An S-Class competitor has been on and off the rumor market for a while. A two-seat halo coupe besides all those? Cool, but just how many irons can they put in the fire at once?

So, you know, don't hold your breath.

.Jinx
Jinx, I think they are speaking of the Cadillac "Glamour" concept which is actually a 2+2 configuration. This is a concept that has only been teased. We have not seen the entire car yet.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Each brand within GM has a right to a halo car. I don't ever see GM choosing one brand over the other. That would be counter productive.
I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that one. GM HAS chosen. It chose the Corvette as the corporate halo car for decades!

IMO it is very counter productive to have a high-end, two-seater Corvette and a high-end, two-seater Cadillac being sold by the same corporation, especially these days. Now, if they are vastly different, don't share similar engines, are not going to be cross-shopped, sold in different parts of the world, etc., possibly.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 171 Likes on 73 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Bring on the XLR!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree blueox. I absolutely think a higher level Cadillac built on the c7 chassis can be built. The xlr and V were horribly priced cars, especially since at the time no one was really believing Cadillac was the top of the heap in the luxury segment. The xlrv I believe, cost more then the zr1 does now, years later. Yet I look at pic after pic, and despite the vette's less then stellar interior I also don't see massive interior improvements to warrant an 06 Cadillac 2 seater with 444hp costing 120 or so grand. Different bodies, big attention to details vs power, coupe or hardtop vert and a Cadillac engine and they could probably pull it off. To those that say no, then why did Jaguar just show off a 2 seater that won't be their top performing car(odds are at least). The vettes performance won't be touched, at least certainly not for the money. They just have to be 2 different cars, that happen to share a frame, or else yes, inside competition could get ugly.

@MikeyTX. Companies do take pride in their stock sometimes, and no not every devision gets to have a piece of the pie. For example the R8. Great car(I guess) but doesn't change the fact it is down on power. While they could have supercharged it, the easier solution for Volkswagen group was to find a better engine already made. Hence the v10 from the Gillardo. They were more then a little ticked from what I understand however, and were told to modify it. So it produces a little less hp and revs a little higher to separate it from the Italians. I never really understood that solution though to be honest. Isn't high rpm screamers the trademark of Ferrari/Lamborghini? I figure it would redline lower but have a chunk more torque but what do I know.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

As I read it, Cadilac is looking at a flagship 4 door model to compete with the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series. In addition it is looking to a 2 seater which would not be it's flagship model.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeyTX

GM has many Halo cars. Chevy has more then one flagship car.

An automaker’s halo car is the biggest, flashiest jewel in its crown – something that’s put on display to show everyone what it’s capable of building. The purpose of the halo car is to get you into the dealership to check it out, even if you leave with a lesser model

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/dearer-by-...#ixzz28qusRwup

Chevy Volt Becomes GM's 'Halo' Car: #evworld
evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=26774
Nov 1, 2011 – 80% of consumers who check out the Volt don't intend to buy it, instead the Cruze is a major beneficiary.

GM March U.S. sales boosted by gas-sipping models | Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/.../u...83115L20120403
Apr 2, 2012 – March sales of the Chevy Volt, the plug-in electric hybrid that is a "halo car" for GM, will be the highest for any month since its December 2010 ...

Impala has always been a flagship for Chevrolet. But a leader should never rest on the laurels of its past — especially when it wears the Chevy bowtie

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/art...rts-sedan.html

Chevy Volt Is, Indeed, A Halo Vehicle | GM Authority
gmauthority.com/blog/2012/01/chevy-volt-is-indeed-a-halo-vehicle/
Jan 19, 2012 – Believe it or not, it's the Chevy Volt -- not Cadillac -- bringing in the BMW crowd to GM dealerships.

GM Hoping Volt Will be Halo Car
gm-volt.com/2010/10/22/gm-hoping-volt-will-be-halo-car/
Oct 22, 2010 – Will the Chevrolet Volt bet pay off for GM? This is a very big question. It's hard for me to believe I have followed the development of this car so.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

The four door coupe would be a better cadillac halo vehicle. The 2 seat market is soooo weak in sales it really doesn't make sense for cadillac to invest money on it..

I think a rebodied C7 would be fine for cadillac as long as its sales expectations are low ...

Maybe a twin turbo v6 for the Cadillac 2 door halo vehicle...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
To those that say no, then why did Jaguar just show off a 2 seater that won't be their top performing car(odds are at least). The vettes performance won't be touched, at least certainly not for the money. They just have to be 2 different cars, that happen to share a frame, or else yes, inside competition could get ugly.
Just because Jag put out this 2-seater doesn't mean it was smart or that it will sell. Why did Ford just sell these guys? Maybe because they make stupid decisions and weren't profitable. Oh, and because they REALLY needed the money and finally found someone in India to give them a lot of money for it.

We have no idea if the Vette's performance would be touched "for the money" or not. Yes, competition WOULD get ugly and why invite that now when Vette sales suck already?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Really? No idea if it would get touched for the money? A two seat corvette, with the next gen pushrod engine vs a Cadillac on a corvette frame, with an even more upscale interior/tech and either a turbo 6 or a next gen northstar as the most likely engine candidates? Heck even from a $55k vette vs an $XXk vette that is more limited in production with different body panels and interior pieces, obviously the vette more mass produced version will be cheaper. That part's inevitable.

And bmw, mb, Porsche and even you could say Audi have had a two seater for years. Obviously the upscale market is there, the xlr was just a mediocre car in a competitive market.

Get notified of new replies

To Caddy to build 2 seat halo car

Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Really? No idea if it would get touched for the money? A two seat corvette, with the next gen pushrod engine vs a Cadillac on a corvette frame, with an even more upscale interior/tech and either a turbo 6 or a next gen northstar as the most likely engine candidates? Heck even from a $55k vette vs an $XXk vette that is more limited in production with different body panels and interior pieces, obviously the vette more mass produced version will be cheaper. That part's inevitable.

And bmw, mb, Porsche and even you could say Audi have had a two seater for years. Obviously the upscale market is there, the xlr was just a mediocre car in a competitive market.
The fit and finish was poor on the XLR. The flatter panels on the Caddy showed more imperfections than the Corvette panels.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

What about the $120k Vette?

What do you think the Caddy 2-seater would cost? What engine would it have to have to compete with the high-end MBs or Jags?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by snide
Bring on the XLR!

You're kidding right ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caddy to build 2 seat halo car