Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual

Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
There is a lot of talk here about the 8-speed auto, but I have yet to see any confirmation that there will be a 7-speed manual.. It seems reasonable and would not surprise me, but I wouldn't bet on it yet either.
Someone mention a couple of days ago that ZF would be supplying the 7 speed transmission(word from the ZF factory?). GM does not build the current 6 speed manual transmission, but instead purchases them from Tremec. Since GM has purchased transmissions in the past from ZF, it makes sense that they would purchase from them again, especially, if Tremec can not supply a 7 speed transmission for the C7.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Someone mention a couple of days ago that ZF would be supplying the 7 speed transmission(word from the ZF factory?). GM does not build the current 6 speed manual transmission, but instead purchases them from Tremec. Since GM has purchased transmissions in the past from ZF, it makes sense that they would purchase from them again, especially, if Tremec can not supply a 7 speed transmission for the C7.
Oh I agree, but still I have found no confirmation of this, that was my point.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hig4s
There is a lot of talk here about the 8-speed auto, but I have yet to see any confirmation that there will be a 7-speed manual.. It seems reasonable and would not surprise me, but I wouldn't bet on it yet either.

Only problem I see is that the ZF 7 speed is reported to weigh around 240 lbs. The existing 6 speed weighs around 125-130 lbs. That's a lot of weight increase for a car that GM is trying to cut the weight by a significant amount according to the GM press releases. The existing 6 speed auto weighs around 250 lbs.

BTW, has GM officially confirmed that the C7 will have a 8 speed auto transmission. All I've seen is "hints" to one being available by the press.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Only problem I see is that the ZF 7 speed is reported to weigh around 240 lbs. The existing 6 speed weighs around 125-130 lbs. That's a lot of weight increase for a car that GM is trying to cut the weight by a significant amount according to the GM press releases. The existing 6 speed auto weighs around 250 lbs.

BTW, has GM officially confirmed that the C7 will have a 8 speed auto transmission. All I've seen is "hints" to one being available by the press.
I thought the one they said 240lbs was a DCT? I know the one in the Porsche is based on the DCT but is a regular 7-speed manual. I thought it was going to be lighter but I cannot find any info on it.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey Joe, I think the odds are very much against GM buying a manual trans that is 100 lbs. more than last years transmission in this era of "added lightness". We must be missing something somewhere.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
ZF did the C4 ZR-1 transmission, if I'm not mistaken. It's centuries ago, so I guess it's just a fun fact.

I still can't figure out why I need 7 speeds. Not that I've tried very hard.
ZF did all of the transmissions in the 6-speed C4's (1989-1996).
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

When the c7 gets the 8 speed automatic I bet it's awesome. I've been driving manuals for over 35 years yet this new transmission will be awesome.

The technology is just getting too good
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
There's never been any doubt that aids are a difference maker, it's just that the better you are, the less difference they make. Watch the guy in this video. We can only dream to have talent like this, and that goes for Justin too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU
As they say - the great ones make it look easy.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The existing 6 speed auto weighs around 250 lbs.
I think the current 6 speed automatic weighs roughly 228 pounds.

Originally Posted by John T
Hey Joe, I think the odds are very much against GM buying a manual trans that is 100 lbs. more than last years transmission in this era of "added lightness". We must be missing something somewhere.

Originally Posted by JerriVette
When the c7 gets the 8 speed automatic I bet it's awesome. I've been driving manuals for over 35 years yet this new transmission will be awesome.

The technology is just getting too good
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I think the current 6 speed automatic weighs roughly 228 pounds.

that could be true, 228 pounds, so possible that a ZF manual at 240 pounds could out weigh the automatic.

It would be great that is someone with a new base C6 coupe with a manual transmission would post their GVWR(located on drivers door sticker) and then someone with a new base C6 coupe with the A6 would post their GVWR. Then we could see what the net weight increase of the auto transmission is over the manual transmission.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Looks like GM has alot of business in China?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

GM Powertrain site says 6L80 behind the LS3 'Vettes is 207-229lbs depending on converter size. It lists the TR6060 as 121 lbs. All weights "wet".
Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Fair enough. I totally get this.

I remember people wanted that 93 F-body Borg Warner T56 because of the gearing over the Tremec T56 that came in the later years. They were stronger and geared like the MN12s. One single year and now those transmissions are gold to the SBC and LT1 guys.

With the C6s, some people actually preferred the 4L60 in 2005 because they were better for drag racing. I don't care about drag racing, to be honest, so not having the 6 speed auto would suck to me. Lesser of 2 evils?

And you're right, people b!tch and complain one way or another when there's a variance in anything when it comes to Corvettes. It's a little surprising what people expect out of a $50K car.
GM never put the 4L60 in the C6, it wouldn't hold up to the LS2 torque. Even the LS1 was slightly detuned to allow the use of the 4L60...it's max torque capacity was 360 lb-ft, the LS1 with manual was 375 lb-ft. The 2005 C6 got the 4L65 from the trucks/SUVs.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:23 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Looks like GM has alot of business in China?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo
What that does that have to do with this discussion? Take this sort of "stuff" to PRC or Off Topic where it belongs. BTW, many car companies are in China...that's where the money is because stupid people in the US have given them all of our money for their junk. Even the Chinese prefer "Made in the USA" and they don't really like Japanese cars. They love Buicks and Cadillacs, they think they are the best. Face it, we're in a global economy and GM is out there competing on a global scale...why is that a bad thing? Do you want them to fail and force the taxpayers to eat the loan?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
GM never put the 4L60 in the C6, it wouldn't hold up to the LS2 torque. Even the LS1 was slightly detuned to allow the use of the 4L60...it's max torque capacity was 360 lb-ft, the LS1 with manual was 375 lb-ft. The 2005 C6 got the 4L65 from the trucks/SUVs.
You're right, 4L65... (Sorry, I didn't mean to rewrite history here.)

It's still a 4 speed carried over from old tech. You got my point, though, no? Or should I rewrite that whole thing again substituting the 0 for a 5?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
What that does that have to do with this discussion? Take this sort of "stuff" to PRC or Off Topic where it belongs. BTW, many car companies are in China...that's where the money is because stupid people in the US have given them all of our money for their junk. Even the Chinese prefer "Made in the USA" and they don't really like Japanese cars. They love Buicks and Cadillacs, they think they are the best. Face it, we're in a global economy and GM is out there competing on a global scale...why is that a bad thing? Do you want them to fail and force the taxpayers to eat the loan?
Are you drinking? Really? Yes I could put it in ot? Im not even going to waste my time on this with you lmfao..

Last edited by DRLC5; 11-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Are you drinking? Really? Yes I could put it in ot? Im not even going to waste my time on this with you lmfao..
Implying I'm stupid then doing a cut and run are classic tactics of somebody who can't defend their position...good riddance. This is why stupid stuff like that video goes in PRC or Off Topic, let them argue over nothing.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual

Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Seems the new programing GM has prepared makes the DCT an also ran os so says GM.

It'll be interesting to see if GM has been able to accomplish this goal. I really wanted a DCT transmission in my next sports car.."as I've been driving manuals for 35 years and have been hearing how great the DCT is...

Not too happy no DCT but I'm willing to listen an try the c7 options by year 3 I'll buy something. I'd rather it be a corvette and not a 911s which has for the first time ever caught my eye.....hope the DCT corvette happens and I keep an open mind to gms offering.

Not sure I'll do 40 years of driving manuals so I hope GM has something of interest to offer.

I want the direct drive feel of the manual both up and down the gears...no mushy slow downshifts and awkward slow upshifts DCT is like driving a manual with no pedal..period...GM needs to offer that sensation or just buy a DCT
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems the new programing GM has prepared makes the DCT an also ran os so says GM.

It'll be interesting to see if GM has been able to accomplish this goal. I really wanted a DCT transmission in my next sports car.."as I've been driving manuals for 35 years and have been hearing how great the DCT is...

Not too happy no DCT but I'm willing to listen an try the c7 options by year 3 I'll buy something. I'd rather it be a corvette and not a 911s which has for the first time ever caught my eye.....hope the DCT corvette happens and I keep an open mind to gms offering.

Not sure I'll do 40 years of driving manuals so I hope GM has something of interest to offer.

I want the direct drive feel of the manual both up and down the gears...no mushy slow downshifts and awkward slow upshifts DCT is like driving a manual with no pedal..period...GM needs to offer that sensation or just buy a DCT
If they haven't figured out how to get AFM with a manual, they won't be able to make AFM work with a DCT either. Supposedly, the torque converter diminishes the AFM switch "jolt" in the current V8 motors. The DCT would have the same results as far as the jolt as a manual.

If GM had to pick AFM or DCT, you can safely put your money on AFM.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Seems the new programing GM has prepared makes the DCT an also ran or so says GM.

I wouldn't say quite that..dry clutch DCTs shift from 30ms to 200ms depending on which gear and situation, much faster than wet clutch DCT.

The new programing in the GM 6 speed auto reduce the shift time from 1st to 2nd from 350ms to 120ms.. and then 2nd to 3rd from 400ms to 200ms and higher gears get a little longer each step up. So it now shifts from 120ms to about 400ms depending on gears. So it has been made a better bang for the buck but not necessarily as good. But may have made wet clutch DCT, like in the Nissan GTR which shifts at about 200ms, not such a big deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual