Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will the Back seat:
Turn ON Potential Customers
23.71%
Turn OFF Potential Customers
76.29%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
You're right...Ford can do it. Chevy can't
What Ford car has a 2+2 and a 2 seat version with no compromises? The rear seat delete on the Mustang is not the same. They are saving the car the weight of only the rear seat by simply not installing it. The car is already long enough to have room for the rear seat. The rear seat delete doesn't make the whole car shorter and lighter.

The fear of the 2+2 option Corvette is that in order to accommodate room for the rear seats, the chassis length must increase, therefore adding weight to the car. Simply not installing the rear seats would still leave the 2 seat version of a Corvette with the extra weight associated with the lengthening of the frame, glass, body panels, etc. required.

All the examples people are sighting of 2+2 cars are additions to the lineup, not a version of an existing car. The Boxster is a separate car than the 911 or panamera. They didn't stretch the 458 to get an FF.

GM already has several 4 seat performance offerings.

Last edited by CPhelps; 12-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
You just won't get it. Even if you don't understand why 80% of the forum in this poll voted against it, GM will.

GM would understand the economics of alienating 80% of their Corvette customer base.

The Corvette is a niche car. It is not supposed to replace your mini van.

To further demonstrate your faulty reasoning, in your Ferrari example you confused a manufacturer with an individual model. That completely nullifies what you must have thought was logical.

I'm going to type this slowly for you:

Ferrari = Chevrolet = Manufacturer.

Ferrari has several models of car. Chevrolet has many.

Corvette = model of car. There is no car company called Corvette.

Those who want a niche car buy this model. Those who don't buy another model.

Because Ferrari makes a 4 seater model is not ruining their brand because they are a M-A-N-U-F-A-C-T-U-R-E-R.
Here on this forum you have a group of men, usually older and with a bit of cash to waste, that have already chosen the Corvette lifestyle which consists of usually having a spare 'real' car while the Vette sits in the garage racking up 3K miles/ year max.

What you fail to understand completely is that there is an entire different group that is just as hard up for performance as you are but they aren't even taking this poll because they don't even consider the Vette because of the lack of back seats. GM would be foolish to try and please the faithful over the needs of most, even on a specialized car such as the Vette.

I am a perfect example. Even though I usually keep an old truck parked on the street, I'm not interested in driving that every day while my Vette sits in the garage. I enjoy driving too much. I do track days at a high level. I hammer on my cars on public roads from time to time. And I recognize that the addition of rear seats only adds 25# os so of weight and absolutely no length (i.e 911, Genesis Coupe, BRZ, etc...) and offers no downside to lap times.

Those guys that think they are just 'too core man' to ever accept back seats aren't usually my kind of drivers because it is their intention to park that 2 seater 95% of the time where-as I plan to drive it everywhere I go.

Either way, I doubt it will happen. If it does, I'll order a new C7. If not, I'll buy a barely used one in 3 years or so because at that point it's not really a car, but a spare toy.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I don't want a vette with a back seat. I don't want my sports cars to have back seats.

I have other cars for that.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not talking about a totally new car. I'm talking bout the c7 we've been seeing pics of. The rear quarter glass etc. If an frs can do it, a vette can. I'll just ls swap a frs and get it Haha jk.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

If it's an OPTION whats the big deal??

Just dont select it if you dont want it.

I wouldnt mind an OPTION for jump seats like the 911 has....they aint much but you can throw little ones back there.

If it makes it look like the 2+2 Nissan Z's then no thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

I wouldnt mind an OPTION for jump seats like the 911 has....they aint much but you can throw little ones back there.

It's all about purity...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It's all about purity...
I totally get that Ox

.....but sometimes you have to change things up a bit

.....or we would all be driving C1's
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

See my other post in this thread. If it's an option, and you don't select the option, they don't install the rear seats. But the fear is that the car is still longer and heavier than it would have been had they not had to accommodate fitting in rear seats. We don't know how much the C7 may have changed the layout vs. the C5/6, but it seems pretty inevitable that they would have to lengthen the car to put the rear seats in vs. how short it could be without said seats. My seat backs are right up against the top/trunk area in my car. To fit seats back there, they would have to extend the length of the cockpit area, either into the trunk/top area, or lengthen the entire car. It seems more likely that the entire car would be extended, so that there would be room to store the Targa. So those who don't want the 2+2 option are forced to have their 2 seat version compromised with additional length and the weight and change to performance dynamics that comes with it. That's why serving the 2+2 sport couple audience with a separate model, like Camaro or CTS, makes sense.

Last edited by CPhelps; 12-03-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
See my other post in this thread. If it's an option, and you don't select the option, they don't install the rear seats. But the fear is that the car is still longer and heavier than it would have been had they not had to accommodate fitting in rear seats. We don't know how much the C7 may have changed the layout vs. the C5/6, but it seems pretty inevitable that they would have to lengthen the car to put the rear seats in vs. how short it could be without said seats. My seat backs are right up against the top/trunk area in my car. To fit seats back there, they would have to extend the length of the cockpit area, either into the trunk/top area, or lengthen the entire car. It seems more likely that the entire car would be extended, so that there would be room to store the Targa. So those who don't want the 2+2 option are forced to have their 2 seat version compromised with additional length and the weight and change to performance dynamics that comes with it. That's why serving the 2+2 sport couple audience with a separate model, like Camaro or CTS, makes sense.
I'm more of a separate model guy myself. Otherwise the natives would revolt!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps

Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
I'm not talking about a totally new car. I'm talking bout the c7 we've been seeing pics of. The rear quarter glass etc. If an frs can do it, a vette can. I'll just ls swap a frs and get it Haha jk.
Does the FRS have a removable top that fits in the trunk? Does it have a front mounted V8 and a rear transmission? Were all of it's structural components designed to be large enough to support 600+ horsepower? Comparisons to other cars with different layouts aren't quite apples to apple.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

What you fail to understand completely is that there is an entire different group that is just as hard up for performance as you are but they aren't even taking this poll because they don't even consider the Vette because of the lack of back seats. Wrong! I own 5 Camaros and have been active in F body clubs for years. Those clubs are filled with people who want a fast car that handles and brakes decently and has a back seat. As for those that want to ruin the Corvette, I also understand you are out there and you scare me. Stay away from the Corvette with your crazy ideas. To those people, I say keep on NOT considering the Corvette. Dealers need somebody to sell Mustangs and Camaros to. GM would be foolish to try and please the faithful over the needs of most, even on a specialized car such as the Vette. Wrong again. Most hardcore Corvette owners (like those on this board) buy Corvettes again and again and again. Some of them currently own more than one Corvette while others own one at a time but have owned 10 or more over the years. If GM pisses off the faithful in a niche car segment, it will have consequences.

And I recognize that the addition of rear seats only adds 25# os so of weight and absolutely no length (i.e 911, Genesis Coupe, BRZ, etc...) and offers no downside to lap times.
Like 98% of us here, I am not an automotive engineer. But I don't think I need to be one to think you are severely mistaken if you think the Corvette can be made into a 2+2 by adding only 25 pounds and also suffer no performance degradation.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Here on this forum you have a group of men, usually older and with a bit of cash to waste, that have already chosen the Corvette lifestyle which consists of usually having a spare 'real' car while the Vette sits in the garage racking up 3K miles/ year max.

What you fail to understand completely is that there is an entire different group that is just as hard up for performance as you are but they aren't even taking this poll because they don't even consider the Vette because of the lack of back seats.
GM would be foolish to try and please the faithful over the needs of most, even on a specialized car such as the Vette.

I am a perfect example. Even though I usually keep an old truck parked on the street, I'm not interested in driving that every day while my Vette sits in the garage. I enjoy driving too much. I do track days at a high level. I hammer on my cars on public roads from time to time. And I recognize that the addition of rear seats only adds 25# os so of weight and absolutely no length (i.e 911, Genesis Coupe, BRZ, etc...) and offers no downside to lap times.

Those guys that think they are just 'too core man' to ever accept back seats aren't usually my kind of drivers because it is their intention to park that 2 seater 95% of the time where-as I plan to drive it everywhere I go.

Either way, I doubt it will happen. If it does, I'll order a new C7. If not, I'll buy a barely used one in 3 years or so because at that point it's not really a car, but a spare toy.
I love you man
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

What you fail to understand completely is that there is an entire different group that is just as hard up for performance as you are but they aren't even taking this poll because they don't even consider the Vette because of the lack of back seats. GM would be foolish to try and please the faithful over the needs of most, even on a specialized car such as the Vette.

What a joke....... There are hundreds of granny cars or grocery getters for the guy who loves a bench seat in the back. GM isn't going to castrate their flagship sports car just cause someone wants another Camaro.

Get real......or buy a Challenger or something. NO ONE is going to miss you guys if you can't deal with a Corvette and 2 seats.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
gcope63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would Chevrolet build a car that would directly compete with the Camaro?? Since both the Camaro and the Corvette use the same base engines and you add the increased weight of the extra seats and everything else to make it pass safety requirements you would most likely have about the same performance.. Then all you would be doing is giving someone a choice of body styles with approximately the same performance... Not sure that would be a good way to increase sales..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Time to end this. GM already has many models with a back seat, so let's just end this.

Quick Reply: Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?