Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks Chuck!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
After reading the whole Hot Rod article and some of the other articles put out that indicate GM is attempting to prevent the ECM from being reflashed, my suspicion is that GM will offer it's own Stage One/Stage Two type reflashes that will bump up the horsepower significantly beyond the 450 mark, and will retain your warranty.

This will allow GM to be able to tap into the money that used to go to the aftermarket for tuning and modification.
I think GM would be wise to consider a dual or even triple step tuning strategy that includes normal, drag, track. They could offer this option as a MR-like switch or as part of the DIC system settings.

An option like this could offer specific engine control, traction control, and even suspension settings.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I never read any GM press release where GM said the LT1 makes AT LEAST 450. They said the ESTIMATED horsepower is 450 in their prress release.
I believe the initial press release said "estimated 450 hp" on one portion and "at least 450 hp" on another portion.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Heavy equipment manufacturers have offered multiple power ratings this way for years, the extra charge covers the slightly increased risk of in-warranty failure plus a healthy contribution to profit.

I am surprised the major automotive companies have not heavily used this method to greatly increase per-unit profit for performance oriented vehicles. Instead of the nickle and dime approach of cutting costs/increasing profit via removing under hood lighting and other little used features by playing the "what the consumer won't miss" game they could instead play in the higher potential "I want more power" game. GM certainly had a taste of this with the number of people paying the large up-charge for NPP exhaust.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I think GM would be wise to consider a dual or even triple step tuning strategy that includes normal, drag, track. They could offer this option as a MR-like switch or as part of the DIC system settings.

An option like this could offer specific engine control, traction control, and even suspension settings.
They could even include a gas-saving mode that would be the only mode in which AFM and the like would happen.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
I believe the initial press release said "estimated 450 hp" on one portion and "at least 450 hp" on another portion.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...mallBlock.html

The official GM press release on the LT1 directly from GM's site.

They mention 450 horsepower three times and not one time did they say "at least 450 hp" in their press release.

"■Preliminary output of 450 horsepower (335 kW) and 450 lb.-ft. of torque (610 Nm)"

"DETROIT – When the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette arrives late next year, it will be powered by a technologically advanced, racing-proven 6.2L V-8 delivering an estimated 450 horsepower and helping produce 0-60 times in less than four seconds."

“The Holy Grail for developing a performance car is delivering greater performance and more power with greater fuel economy and that’s what we’ve achieved,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “By leveraging technology, we are able to get more out of every drop of gasoline and because of that we expect the new Corvette will be the most fuel-efficient 450 horsepower car on the market.”

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Magazine's Inside the new LT1