Sponsored by:

C7 - Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I hope you are right, for my take on this whole thing is slightly different, for I have been into sports cars and have spent time in the car business here in So Cal for quite some time. Folks who buy sports cars are different than those who buy everything else. First of all, the majority of sports car buyers have them for their daily driver, and never track them. What they care about, and this is what makes the sports car buyer different, is how the car feels and makes them feel. There is something about going through a canyon, around a tight curve, feeling snug and tucked in. There is something about acceleration and sound.
There is something about how a good sports car seat feels as opposed to a seat in a lexus 430. This is what it is really all about. For MOST sports car buyers could not care less about if their car can hit 0-60 in 4.5 versus 4.0, or if the HP is 425, 450, or 500. Many don't care about number of cylinders if the car makes them feel good. (Porsche owners being a perfect example of this). A Honda S2000 owner can and quite often does feel just as good about his drive as does the owner of the Ferrari 458 Italia. And since I have owned 10 Vettes, 3 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, a Viper, MR2, 300Z, Camaro, Mini, GTI, and on and on, I can tell you about sports car ownership. My last car was a 2010 Vette GS 6 speed convertible, and my present car is a 2013 Porsche Boxster S PDK. All my cars made me feel good. The C7 will be a grand hit. Some will not care for the looks as much as they do for the C5 and C6. Some will love the looks. But the car will sell and be quite impressive. Hopefully those Corvette lovers in the minority who are overly concerned with the BS stuff like "it will only have 450 HP" will get over
that and enjoy the C7 for what it will be...a great sports car.
NAILED IT!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
I would like to believe you but your opinion could be somewhat biased.
I remember when my local Pontiac dealer was selling the Aztek. I wonder if he also believed the Aztek was the best looking SUV of all times? BTW, what happened to Pontiac? I haven't seen them around lately.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I hope you are right, for my take on this whole thing is slightly different, for I have been into sports cars and have spent time in the car business here in So Cal for quite some time. Folks who buy sports cars are different than those who buy everything else. First of all, the majority of sports car buyers have them for their daily driver, and never track them. What they care about, and this is what makes the sports car buyer different, is how the car feels and makes them feel. There is something about going through a canyon, around a tight curve, feeling snug and tucked in. There is something about acceleration and sound.
There is something about how a good sports car seat feels as opposed to a seat in a lexus 430. This is what it is really all about. For MOST sports car buyers could not care less about if their car can hit 0-60 in 4.5 versus 4.0, or if the HP is 425, 450, or 500. Many don't care about number of cylinders if the car makes them feel good. (Porsche owners being a perfect example of this). A Honda S2000 owner can and quite often does feel just as good about his drive as does the owner of the Ferrari 458 Italia. And since I have owned 10 Vettes, 3 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, a Viper, MR2, 300Z, Camaro, Mini, GTI, and on and on, I can tell you about sports car ownership. My last car was a 2010 Vette GS 6 speed convertible, and my present car is a 2013 Porsche Boxster S PDK. All my cars made me feel good. The C7 will be a grand hit. Some will not care for the looks as much as they do for the C5 and C6. Some will love the looks. But the car will sell and be quite impressive. Hopefully those Corvette lovers in the minority who are overly concerned with the BS stuff like "it will only have 450 HP" will get over
that and enjoy the C7 for what it will be...a great sports car.
I agree partially with you. Most sports car owners are posers. They buy them for image. I know way too many of them to believe otherwise. On the other hand, you are right for that vary reason that they don't car if it has 450 hp or not. I'd wager that 50% (minimum) of Corvette owners probably can't even tell you how much hp their car has.

On the other hand, there are plenty of Corvette owners - such as those on the forum, who are very serious about the performance. Let's say it's 40% of Corvette owners (feel free to pick your own number). Can GM afford to alienate 40% of Corvette owners? Given how bad Corvette sales have been the past few years, I really don't think so.

BTW, no question the C7 will cause a spike in sales. We'll know by how long they go out the door at list price just how big of a hit the C7 is. The C5 sold at or very near list price for a few years. The C6 made it less than a year. Before anyone starts bragging, I know that there are people who bought them cheaper early on, but those were exceptions.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I was on this forum a few months ago. I figured by now there would be actual pictures of the car. When will it finally be unveiled?

Last edited by StevieB; 12-08-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: add question
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieB
I was on this forum a few months ago. I figured by now there would be actual pictures of the car. When will it finally be unveiled?
1-13-13 at 13:00 EST
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I was introducing the C7 to my friend who buys only sports cars with M badges on them. Showed him the latest pics, engine specs, seats, tach, price point.

He didn't say anything about the back, or about the HP. As I was showing bits of info I realized I pretty much sold myself on one. Then he said, "well I guess this will rewrite the books on sportscars". Could not disagree.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Just realized, that is the date and time of the start of Sunday Divisional NFL play off games on the East Coast. Great timing for maximum TV exposure just before the start of the game(s).

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 12-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I was introducing the C7 to my friend who buys only sports cars with M badges on them. Showed him the latest pics, engine specs, seats, tach, price point.

He didn't say anything about the back, or about the HP. As I was showing bits of info I realized I pretty much sold myself on one. Then he said, "well I guess this will rewrite the books on sportscars". Could not disagree.
Sometimes sarcasm is difficult to detect . . .
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Sometimes sarcasm is difficult to detect . . .
He is Eastern European, just doesn't have it.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So just where is Keeks these days???

Last edited by BlueOx; 12-14-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
So just where is Keeks these days???
He is either busy helping to mediate a settlement in the NHL or preparing to post leaked photos from the negotiation sessions... (or both)
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny enough -- on 1/13/13 I'll be at work -- but leaving at the end of the day on my way down to houston to take my C6Z06 out of a 2 year hibernation and driving it back up to N. Texas

While I'm sure I'll see the C7 that day online somewhere - I'll be getting reacquainted with an old friend later that night. Inspection and registration and slap some new invo's on the rear and I'll be back in business!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
I didn't want this post to get lost in another thread so I am copying it here.

I am not connected to GM in any way and I am not a shill.

I respect everyone's opinion both ways on the partial info that has been released to date. That is what makes the world go round.

Here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEJ
Keeks, you have a stellar reputation on this forum so I want to ask: you say the C7 looks drop dead gorgeous (My words, not quoting) in person, right? So what do you think of these pictures? I think these picture show a hideous design. Does the "real" car look that much better? Because I can't see these renders tranferring to a beautiful design.
Talk to me fellow Canadian!

If you are a corvette guy you know that feeling you get when you are alone in the garage just staring at your car. That feeling you get when you are gently washing it caressing all its curves.
That goose bump feeling you get when you pass some slow poke maybe a hair too aggressively.
That feeling you get when you know all eyes are on you when you get out of the car at the corner store.
When that 7 year old boy walking with his mother visually locks on your car screaming at his mother to look as he points at your car with all his focus.
That is the C7 in the flesh....

You will hear crickets on this forum January 14th from the doubters, even more so when they see the first auto transport truck drive by or when the THAT guy in town orders his double double from Tim Horton's right in front of you idling his LT1 with those beautiful tailights.

I will be THAT guy.

Poetry to my ears

Quick Reply: C7 - Review