Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Lifted07Sierra
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: springfield MO
Default How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship?

Im in the market for a new car now to use as a DD but it'd be hard to pass up a smoking deal on a C6Z if they are going to be flooding the market when the C7 is out.

This was discussed I think about 2 months ago before we knew what engine was going to be in it and now that we've basically seen (Im pretty confident we have) the new C7 with those red renderings how many C6Z guys are gonna grab one first year?
Lifted07Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Jawnathin
CF Senior Member
 
Jawnathin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Default

I think some folks will (and already have) but not me. Couldn't be happier with my C6Z, its a really special car. Love the big cubes and high revs. Very unique and will be a rarity as time goes on. Oh, and don't get me started on the exhaust noise... its heavenly! If you end up getting one, you'll absolutely love it.

I am looking forward to the C7 and depending on what it offers, I may be interested in a high performance version down the line, but hesitant as I do want to experience different sports cars as well (911s, Vipers, and such). One of these will park along side the C6Z.
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Jinx
CF Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Default

Do you really expect 505hp 427cube C6Z owners to trade down to a first-year C7?
Or just the 638hp supercharged C6Z owners?
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
ufaj26
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ufaj26's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Hoschton Georgia
Default

I'm am as anxious as anyone else to actually the see the C7 but dont see many of the Z car owners going for less HP. Some may do it just for the new body style if it's really a knock out and lives up to the hype in regards to electronics, interior etc. etc.
ufaj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Bluewasp
CF Senior Member
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14
 
Bluewasp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Manassas VA
Send a message via AIM to Bluewasp Send a message via Yahoo to Bluewasp
Default

I wouldn't tade my 427 for a car with less power.
Bluewasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Zap City
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zap City's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Orlando
Default

I'm actually going to pick up a Z regardless of the C7 if plans go as intended.
Zap City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Rubber Ducky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rubber Ducky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Cocoa Beach FL
Default

Probably. Vert.
Rubber Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
BlueOx
CF Senior Member
 
BlueOx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

I imagine asking the folks in the C6Z forum would make a lot more sense.
BTW, how is buying a new Corvette jumping ship?
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Default

As a daily driver, if the C7 is smaller, lighter, as torquey, dramatically better interior, notably better mpg, new warranty, and possibly performs within a hair of C6Z performance, plus the much improved (I know this is subjective) aesthetics I think many people will. What if the C7 for $55K performs 97% as well as a used C6Z? How much would you be willing to spend for the old design used when you can have a 2014 for $55K?

If the C7 runs the same Nurburgring times as say a C6Z that would really say a lot. And frankly even as a track day guy myself, that wringing it out only represents 1% of my total drive time so it's not wise to buy a vehicle just for that alone.

I love saving money and I even tried to buy a C6Z in the last couple of months but I'm glad the trade-in numbers didn't work because I see a C7 in my future.
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Larry/car
CF Senior Member
 
Larry/car's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Manheim Pennsylvania
Default

It is power to weight ratio that I am concerned with. Currently the C6 with 430 HP = 7.44 lb per hp. If the C7's base weight is reduced to 3,000 lb., and the engine has 430 HP that would equal 6.9 lb per hp. With this much weight reduction the HP could actually be reduced to 405 HP with the same power to weight as the current C6. We will get the actual numbers at introduction.
Larry/car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Z_Rocks
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
What if the C7 for $55K performs 97% as well as a used C6Z? How much would you be willing to spend for the old design used when you can have a 2014 for $55K?
Excellent point!
And actually, I think C7 will perform close to 97% of C6Z06 for less money. If the car is lighter and better MPG, it makes more sense to get C7.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
toxin440
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Worth TX
Default

meh -- if they unveil it in January -- and you can't get your hands on one till say August or September? I have a feeling for the first few months they will be VERY over priced.

Worst case in my opinion -- from today, you are looking at a year wait before you can get your hands on a reasonable price C7. I'm sure the interior is going to be amazing, but it's a first generation car and I wouldn't want to gamble away 50-60-70K? on something that's first year and a base model.
toxin440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Tigershark3
CF Senior Member
 
Tigershark3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Default

Love my Z so it won't happen here, at least not now... but may consider a C7 in 4 years when my extended warranty runs out.
Tigershark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Glenn Quagmire
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Do you really expect 505hp 427cube C6Z owners to trade down to a first-year C7?
Or just the 638hp supercharged C6Z owners?
Glenn Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
SanDiegoBert
CF Senior Member
 
SanDiegoBert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxin440 View Post
meh -- if they unveil it in January -- and you can't get your hands on one till say August or September? I have a feeling for the first few months they will be VERY over priced.

Worst case in my opinion -- from today, you are looking at a year wait before you can get your hands on a reasonable price C7. I'm sure the interior is going to be amazing, but it's a first generation car and I wouldn't want to gamble away 50-60-70K? on something that's first year and a base model.


Well stated, and true.
SanDiegoBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Landru
CF Senior Member
 
Landru's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne Township WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Do you really expect 505hp 427cube C6Z owners to trade down to a first-year C7?
Bingo.
Unless C7 matches or bests the LS-7, I'll check to the dealer & keep my Z06. Wait & see what else will be offered down the line.

For me to trade- down, performance-wise, makes no sense a'tall.
Landru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Reciprocal
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Aurora Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
As a daily driver, if the C7 is smaller, lighter, as torquey, dramatically better interior, notably better mpg, new warranty, and possibly performs within a hair of C6Z performance, plus the much improved (I know this is subjective) aesthetics I think many people will. What if the C7 for $55K performs 97% as well as a used C6Z? How much would you be willing to spend for the old design used when you can have a 2014 for $55K?

If the C7 runs the same Nurburgring times as say a C6Z that would really say a lot. And frankly even as a track day guy myself, that wringing it out only represents 1% of my total drive time so it's not wise to buy a vehicle just for that alone.

I love saving money and I even tried to buy a C6Z in the last couple of months but I'm glad the trade-in numbers didn't work because I see a C7 in my future.
That's a lot of "if" but you can always hope.
Reciprocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
goatts
CF Senior Member
 
goatts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
Im in the market for a new car now to use as a DD but it'd be hard to pass up a smoking deal on a C6Z if they are going to be flooding the market when the C7 is out.

This was discussed I think about 2 months ago before we knew what engine was going to be in it and now that we've basically seen (Im pretty confident we have) the new C7 with those red renderings how many C6Z guys are gonna grab one first year?
No way. I'll wait for the C7Z.
goatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
OnPoint's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Wichita Kansas - 2011 Callaway GS 606HP & 2010 ZR1 638HP
Default

My C6ZR, Good Lord willing, is not going anywhere anytime soon; it's just too much fun to drive. Maybe joined down the road by a C7 stable mate. Just have to wait and see.
OnPoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SlickShoes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Malaysia Air Flight 370
Default

Some narrow minded people in here.

Then again, a lot of Z06 drivers are. I'm baffled how an entire group of people, many with the means to trade out, can scoff at and denounce the idea of purchasing a car that had the potential to be superior in every single way to its predecessor, wholly upon the pretense that they stand to lose ***** points in the form of of a couple dozen horsepower in the scope of +/- 500.

Individual aesthetic preferences aside, it will likely be a simply better car in terms of design, technology, fit and finish (guaranteed), balance, efficiency, and utility. But loooord alllllmighty don't they best be takin' away my horsepowers.

SlickShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship?
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For you "slightly used" C7 buyers Big Dan 427 C7 General Discussion 21 03-08-2014 12:56 AM
A&A Corvette says thank you. Josh@AandASuperchargers Southern California 1 02-12-2014 10:24 AM
Supercharger on z51 tranny 402stokerc6 C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous 26 01-03-2014 11:30 AM
C7 ZR1? Any news? BigNastyZO7 C7 General Discussion 3 10-01-2013 10:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Emails & Password Backup