Sponsored by:

A little bit of inside info on the 'possible' C7 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yeah, pretty much, but the guy gave some strong nonverbal cues that GM powertrain is still considering a naturally aspirated ZR1 engine, which I found surprising.

For reference, one of the best NA engines on the planet right now is the 458 Italia Ferrari. It makes 563hp and the engine is 4.5L of displacement. It also revs to NINE THOUSAND RPM.

So, that is 125hp/ltr. Let's say GM goes crazy and does a 5.5L engine that revs a little north of 8,000rpm. What sort of volumetric efficiency does the LT1 block have? So, the LT9 engine is going to have unbelieveable efficiency with crazy high flowing heads and all the other goodies to go along with that. So, to make 650hp (which is only 12hp more) NA, the LT9 engine would have to make 118hp/ltr out of 5.5L of displacement?

Is that possible? Of course it is. Is it feasible though while meeting cost/durability/reliability requirements? I don't know.

I would think a nice 5.5L turbocharged engine making 680-700hp that revs out to 7,000rpm would be a perfect C7 ZR1 engine. Huge torque, probably more durable over the long haul?!?! I don't know though.

Honestly, it would be sweet to have a crazy NA engine that revs to the moon and sounds very tight and tweaked as it revs out and makes big horsepower. Strap an engine like that to a top shelf dual clutch transmission and sell it for under $150k and you'd probably have a lot of takers, me included.
Problem with hi revs is that your burn time goes down and there fore your emissions go up. This is why GM is staying with big cubes (torque) and their motors. Its a much more conservative approach, adding all these technologies to a reliable setup, than it is to create a whole new game plan. One of the only way they will be able to meet CAFE standards under high revs and still make decent power, is through boost - almost makes it mandatory. This is also why you see a lot of manufacturers going boost on low displacement motors.

Quick Reply: A little bit of inside info on the 'possible' C7 ZR1