C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Aluminum Frame for all models?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Default C7 Aluminum Frame for all models?

We have all heard of the possibility that the C7 Corvette will have an aluminum frame for all models of Corvette.
How is this going to work out as far as rigidity with a removeable roof panel on the Coupe and soft top on a Convertible?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
We have all heard of the possibility that the C7 Corvette will have an aluminum frame for all models of Corvette.
How is this going to work out as far as rigidity with a removeable roof panel on the Coupe and soft top on a Convertible?
Shouldn't be a concern. For the C6, GM didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket, so they engineered both the steel frame and the aluminum frame to have the same design other then heavier wall sections in the aluminum frame. Because both the steel frame and the aluminum frame were to be used in identical cars(other then body panels and engines), all exterior points on the frame had to be the same. The aluminum frame was an engineering exercise to gain the manufacturing processes of using aluminum.

With the C7, and the decision to use aluminum across the board, the frame can be designed for across the board use. In the very high horsepower versions of the C7, GM still might want to use the bolted in roof panel to stiffen things up a bit for track use. All depends on the final design of the frame that GM comes up with. I have no doubts that GM can design an aluminum framed open air car that is at least as strong/stiff/etc as the C6's steel frame.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
It should be no problem with better bonding techniques and and clever usage of different aluminum alloys and it looks like the C7 is going to use Carbon Fiber in structural areas like the floor and the bulkhead so that boosts frame rigidity.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Shouldn't be a concern. For the C6, GM didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket, so they engineered both the steel frame and the aluminum frame to have the same design other then heavier wall sections in the aluminum frame. Because both the steel frame and the aluminum frame were to be used in identical cars(other then body panels and engines), all exterior points on the frame had to be the same. The aluminum frame was an engineering exercise to gain the manufacturing processes of using aluminum.

With the C7, and the decision to use aluminum across the board, the frame can be designed for across the board use. In the very high horsepower versions of the C7, GM still might want to use the bolted in roof panel to stiffen things up a bit for track use. All depends on the final design of the frame that GM comes up with. I have no doubts that GM can design an aluminum framed open air car that is at least as strong/stiff/etc as the C6's steel frame.
The aluminum frame was designed to be built on the same production line as the steel frame. Therefore, the aluminum frame is NOT the optimum design for using aluminum. The Z6 uses the additional bracing in the roof to make up for the loss of strength in the aluminum chassis due to that design compromise. An aluminum frame that does NOT have to be compromised can easily provide the necessary strength.

A couple of years ago, the then CE for the Vett went on an interview program to talk about the up coming C7. While he did NOT state the chassis would be aluminum, he did state several times that GM had developed the technology necessay to join differing metals and to do so with no loss in strength and at very light weigts. In fact, he stated that this was to be one technique GM was using to reduce the weight in the C7. Perhaps the chassis will be a mix of materials, properly joined, to optimize material use - strength/weight.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
It should be no problem with better bonding techniques and and clever usage of different aluminum alloys and it looks like the C7 is going to use Carbon Fiber in structural areas like the floor and the bulkhead so that boosts frame rigidity.
How much is this car going to cost?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
How much is this car going to cost?
C&D saids probably around 55k
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Do we actually ever get to see some numbers on torsional rigidity? There are probably different grades of steel and aluminum out there.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

While the use of an aluminum frame (which many believe has been completely confirmed at this point but I want to see the 'official GM/Chevrolet release' first before I make the same claim LOL ) will certainly save weight over the current steel one of course. But based on some of what was mentioned above (targa/convertible tops, structural rigidity etc.) I don't think we will see the full 135+ pound savings that the C6 Z06's aluminum frame saved over the base C6's steel one. I believe it will be a little thicker/heavier with more gusseting in high stress areas so I suspect the savings will be closer to only 100 pounds or so.
Hopefully other elements of the car will be lighter as well though.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Aluminum Frame for all models?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Aluminum Frame for all models?