Sponsored by:

Alternate C7 Design

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
ThickLizzyVetteswerv
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Alternate C7 Design

I may be counted among those who like nothing about GM's C7 styling and I've been working on my own 'Vette that I feel is more faithful to the car's history and Sting Ray heritage without being explicitly retro. Of course I know there will be plenty of guys who don't like mine at all but I am curious to hear what people think of it. This is a low poly model I'm still working on using Google SketchUp and rendering it in Kerkythea, both of which are available for free.

It's not obvious in these shots but I used brushed stainless steel for the B pillar hoop. Of course they would never put that on a production car but I love the look and it's only a digital concept...

Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I like it, I think it looks fantastic. There are however two issues with implementation. The headlights as mounted on the inside of the wheel arch is not going to light up the road well. The other is the hood is way too low. Only a flat 6 would fit in there.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I think I'll stay with the GM version.....
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BlueOx

Looks like something Telsa would make.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It's definitely a more aquatic shape. It also reminds me a little of the 70s concept Corvettes.
It seems like you have a center crease on the hood and the rear deck -- why not on the roof too?
The stainless steel hoop looks a little odd -- might it look better if the whole roof and A pillars match?
It doesn't look like there's enough intake air up front.
I think the turn signal indicators have to get larger to be legal.
I notice you have avoided any rear-end controversy by not showing us one
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
01_NavyBlue
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

You are very talented.
So..........round tail lights??
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mksz51
I think I'll stay with the GM version.....
I know I'll stay with the GM version.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 AM
ThickLizzyVetteswerv
Instructor

Thanks for the good and bad, fellas. I appreciate the compliments. To answer a couple things: Good point about the functionality of the headlights and turn signals. I'm sure there are lots of things like that which would need alteration for road worthiness. That's probably one of the most frustrating parts of a real auto designer's task, I'd imagine.

The hood is actually almost exactly the same height as the C6's hood at the front axle line. I think that demonstrates how attention to proportions can affect the overall appearance of a car. It will likely gain some more contours before I'm done.

With the stainless hoop I was going for something like this:

It's an Iso Grifo from the sixties which, in its first iteration, used... a Corvette smallblock.

The lateral center crease, on the trunk anyway, is really just a product of the fact that my model is composed of two instances of the same component, wherein altering one side changes them both. This makes the centerline a raw edge as far as the normal generator is concerned and that results in a defined crease. I think the trunk will actually be smooth.

I have avoided showing the rear end--and I knew I wouldn't get away with it--because I haven't finished it yet! But yes, it will absolutely have two round taillights on each side, as any real Corvette does. Not oval, not square, not "almost round." And certainly not Camaro shaped.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a car that looks very similar to that rendering. It's a Russian supercar called the Marussia. If you ever go to Monaco, you'll probably see one.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Hideous. Dont quit your day job. Jk.

The side coves/vents are descent. Front is truly hideous though....i cant lie
Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let these guys discourage your work. Good or bad, you're learning a creative craft. People who have never tried it don't know how hard it can be to come up with new designs that are equally compelling and conventional. GM has been working on theirs for at least 8 years with a team of people. If you did that with Sketchup, I'm impressed.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 AM
ThickLizzyVetteswerv
Instructor

Hey thanks, robvuk. I appreciate your considerate words. I'm not discouraged. I have enough faith in my own aesthetic sense that internet criticism is purely academic. Most of the work was actually done with another program called Zmodeler but I've been doing the finishing work with SU. It's a pain not being able to move vertices directly but I digress...

RC000E, certainly no need to lie but I am curious exactly why you find it hideous. To me the lines and forms are much more harmonious than a few actual Corvettes even if they are rather bold. For instance, my dual intakes flow with the fascia in a much more integrated manner than the simple rectilinear grille found on the C6, which stands starkly against the curves of the fenders, headlight lenses, and wheel arches.

In full disclosure I will say that the last real Corvette I like is the original C4 before they "updated" it in the early 90's. That design was revolutionary, perfectly proportioned, sleek and aggressive in a subtle way, and has held up amazingly well for almost 30 years now. One of the best auto designs of all time.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Keep the crease on the rear deck -- it is, after all, a Sting Ray design cue. Try a crease (perhaps inverted) on the roof as well, see how you like it.

I like the Iso Grifo -- it's one of those brutal-yet-attractive designs the Italians are so good at -- but it looks good without the stainless steel too, and I don't think it translates well to a modern Corvette, especially since Corvette is famously non-metal. And yes, I think the C4 will be seen more favorably as time goes on.

.Jinx
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Alternate C7 Design

Quick Reply: Alternate C7 Design