Sponsored by:

The Dog Days of Car Design

Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Default The Dog Days of Car Design

I drive the Los Angeles freeways. Car design is dead. It peaked in the 1950's through early 1970's. Everything from BMW to Buick to Aston Martin looks the same. Don't even get me started about the hybrids.

I'll appreciate the C7 even if it's ugly. It's one of the last cars still being "styled".
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
Don't even get me started about the hybrids.
The C7 HAS to be better than most (except for maybe one ) hybrids.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

I drive the Los Angeles freeways. Car design is dead. It peaked in the 1950's through early 1970's. Everything from BMW to Buick to Aston Martin looks the same. Don't even get me started about the hybrids.

I'll appreciate the C7 even if it's ugly. It's one of the last cars still being "styled".
Californians drive their cars for a very long time. Perhaps it is the dry climate. Anyway, Californians have a knack at making their cars last, which is a good thing. You may see the same cars on the freeway day after day, but some may see that as a blessing. For some reason, on a daily basis, you see more new cars here in Fla. It could be that the climate tears cars up faster, housing is cheaper so people have more money to spend on cars, etc. I don't know. Anyway, I visit CA at least twice a year, and find it refreshing to see so many 60's, 70's and 80's erra cars still driving. I think it is rather cool.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I think claims like these date people. Hardly any 20 year olds would pick a C1-C5 over a C6. It's almost always older guys that crave the older designs.

It's true that some new characteristics, like safer bumpers and aero constrain newer designs a bit more but that's about it. I'd say oldschool hotrods are way better than the PT cruiser for that reason.

The Aventador pretty much destroys the Miura or the Countach imo.

The Ferrari 458 also kills any of the previous Ferrari designs.

Some older gens are better looking, for example I like the older mustang over the retro one they are building now. I also like Viper gen 1 and 2 better than 3 and 4. 5th gen beats all the previous ones.

Overall I'd be more likely to say newer designs are better than the old.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I think claims like these date people. Hardly any 20 year olds would pick a C1-C5 over a C6. It's almost always older guys that crave the older designs.

It's true that some new characteristics, like safer bumpers and aero constrain newer designs a bit more but that's about it. I'd say oldschool hotrods are way better than the PT cruiser for that reason.

The Aventador pretty much destroys the Miura or the Countach imo.

The Ferrari 458 also kills any of the previous Ferrari designs.

Some older gens are better looking, for example I like the older mustang over the retro one they are building now. I also like Viper gen 1 and 2 better than 3 and 4. 5th gen beats all the previous ones.

Overall I'd be more likely to say newer designs are better than the old.

I'd take a C1 or C2 over a C6...

I don't like to compare generations to each other. The Miura is one of the greatest cars of all-time. I (quite literally) freaked out the first time I saw one. Same for the F40. Are the respective Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Vettes of today better cars? Sure, but to me, even at my young age, I am still fascinated with the classics. (I think the '60 Vette is the best looking car of all-time)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I think it's a unique design, and that makes it cool. It being rare also makes it cool. But if we were to sit down and talk about ideal sports car design I would never ever agree to something like a C2. The way the wheels fit under the arches, the bubble shaped glass house, the flabby sheet metal. I like carpet cars, sleek, with some muscle showing. The C2 is muscle for sure, but also fat everywhere. It's like a fat man that surprises you with quick motion, still a fat man...
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

I love the C6, and I love the C1, for different reasons. But those two are my favorite models. The C1 more for nostalgia and sheer beauty, and the C6 for performance, but also beauty. I suspect the C7 will take my vote for performance when it comes out, and I believe I will fall in love with its looks as well...

I agree with SBC_and_a_stick that the 458 kills any of the previous Ferrari designs and his view on the Aventador. Up unitil the current Camero, my favorite always has been the '68, which I dreamed about as a kid but, unfortunately, never bought one. I still have a place in my heart for the '68 Camero though. Nonetheless, the current Camero takes the cake as far as looks. But the current Camero's downfall is its weight, not unlike the Mustang.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It's really hard to take anyone seriously when they say "they don't make them like they used to." Including myself. You're naturally biased toward the things you "grew up" on (which may or may not be your physical adolescence, and may or may not be what was current at the time). At a certain point things evolve outside your zone of familiarity and alienate you. It might take a while, and happen at different times for different areas of interest, but it's going to happen to you.

In the specific case of automobiles, they are much more science and less art than they used to be. They're regulated far more than they used to be -- almost nothing built 30 years ago would even be legal to manufacture and sell new today, nevermind 40 or 60 years ago. And consumer expectations of functionality apply competitive pressure to further narrow the design envelope.

OTOH, there's a greater variety in the packaging than ever before, and autos are objectively better, almost immeasurably so.

If you don't like the way things are today, don't fret: your grandkids think it's all great, we'll be dead soon, and despite every generation's prognostication that the world has reached a tipping point and is shortly going to collapse, things will keep chugging along.

.Jinx
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
It's really hard to take anyone seriously when they say "they don't make them like they used to." Including myself. You're naturally biased toward the things you "grew up" on (which may or may not be your physical adolescence, and may or may not be what was current at the time). At a certain point things evolve outside your zone of familiarity and alienate you. It might take a while, and happen at different times for different areas of interest, but it's going to happen to you.

In the specific case of automobiles, they are much more science and less art than they used to be. They're regulated far more than they used to be -- almost nothing built 30 years ago would even be legal to manufacture and sell new today, nevermind 40 or 60 years ago. And consumer expectations of functionality apply competitive pressure to further narrow the design envelope.

OTOH, there's a greater variety in the packaging than ever before, and autos are objectively better, almost immeasurably so.

If you don't like the way things are today, don't fret: your grandkids think it's all great, we'll be dead soon, and despite every generation's prognostication that the world has reached a tipping point and is shortly going to collapse, things will keep chugging along.

.Jinx
I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.Jinx
I love my 1981 Corvette, but there is no way in the world I would choose it over my 07.

I currently have my 81 torn apart, I have been through every inch of that car, and compared to my 07 it is a piece of junk. Seriously, most of the stuff underneath started to rust immediate after they were released from the factory.

However, I still love the car. As Jinx said, it's the Vette I grew up with.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 AM
VinceJB
Instructor

It is called advances in technology and competition. What you must mean is back then it was more of an art form. I love both and I respect all cars and I am passionate about anything on wheels since I was a kid.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I think cars get better each generation. If it weren't for EPA and safety standards I think the designs would be much more aggressive.
I am still impressed with my C6's clean simple design. I hope the C7 doesn't have a bunch of gaudy protrusions on it in the name of performance.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't take you seriously when you say that BMW to Buick to Aston Martin all look the same.

Aston Martin's are some of the sexiest cars ever made.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
We don't know which post you were reading when you decided to write this. The original? One of the responses? Which author should get into a furious online flame war with you?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I can't take you seriously when you say that BMW to Buick to Aston Martin all look the same.

Aston Martin's are some of the sexiest cars ever made.

..........and, there is a lot of variety out there in car styling today!

Even back when, many cars of the "every day driver" class tended to look the same - 1936 Ford vs 1936 Chevy:
Attached Images   

Last edited by tuxnharley; 12-20-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Car design has been dead for many years. I remember when I was a kid, you could name every make, model and year of all American cars. Those were the days in the '50's '60's and early '70's when every September it was a "big deal" when the next years models came out. The changes many times were dramatic from year to year and even if the change was subtle, you still noticed a change and knew the year. Today, most everything looks the same and stays that way for quite a few years. Styling was the way to sell cars back then, and all the manufacturers were pretty successful. Today the average buyer buys more for function and need.

Get notified of new replies

To The Dog Days of Car Design

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Bmorevette
Racer

Originally Posted by floydsummerof68
aston martin's are some of the sexiest cars ever made.
fact
Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Tom@Zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The constant change in design so prevalent in the 50's 60's and 70's is called planned obsolesence. It is now implemented in 'technology products' to a degree I could never imagine.
I would call it marketing, not art, even in the 50's.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

.Jinx
Great Post Jinx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Dog Days of Car Design