C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 isn't for us... We want something better!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C7 isn't for us... We want something better!

I hear the C7 will have 4 wheels! WTF?! No... The Camaro has 4 wheels too. That's BS.

Also, I hear it's going to have HID head lights. That's BS too! The Camaro is optioned with HIDs and the Corvette needs to be different even if it's not better. But it has to be better too!

You people are cracking me up. First it was the Camaro tail lights. Then it was the "Aurora interior Dash" as if there's any real resemblance other than the radio and AC controls going in the center stack.

Oh, and don't forget about the "parts bin" steering wheel. It's CANT be the same as another cars! It's the flag ship! Blah blah blah.

Before that I was seeing "It looks too much like a Ferrari" as if that's a bad thing. And even saw one comment that was "If I wanted a Ferrari I'd buy a Ferrari." <-- Right...

So here's my thinking: you people need glasses and a reality check.

The C7 is going to share some features from Chevy. After all it's a Chevy and it SHOULD include design queues that let you know it's a Chevy. For those of you who are brand ******, car snobs and/or "above" the Chevy label, go buy a Porsche. (BTW, the Porsche Boxster shares design queues with all the high-end Porsches... Beware!)

The C7 will share parts too! That means there will be things that are shared with the Camaro. The tail lights aren't one of them. If you think that's the case, you need to go back to pre-school and learn how to get the square peg in the square hole. The only way to make a car as amazing as the C7, packed with all the performance it has, and to warranty it for 100,000 miles, it's necessary to share some parts. So when you see a vent grill or light bulb or whatever that's shared, don't bitch. Be thankful that GM made the C7 affordable.

The C7 aero was designed to yield the lowest drag co-efficient while sticking the car to the ground that they could. This is going to overlap into other designs that are attempting to achieve the same goal. So when a car with the same layout comes on the market (or was already on the market) with a similar profile, don't be shocked. It's not copying, it's just that the engineers are coming up with similar results as another companies engineers. This is a good thing. That means that they're double checking their results and that they're results are right. If you're disappointed with that, good bye. By a Porsche. Nobody's designing cars like Porsche. They have a distinct look. And you pay for it. Aerodynamically they're sound, but their suspension is over engineered to make up for having a stupid layout. (Engine in the back.)

And as for the Camaro tail lights, if you take both cars and blur the living crap out of the images... then both cars look the same... But the same could be said about any car compared to the Corvette:

As you can plainly see, even blurred you can clearly tell which car is which. Not just by size but by the angle of the tail lights and the back window.

Now, if you're still not sure what I mean by angle, allow me to demonstrate:

As you can see there are actually 2 different shapes on the Corvette tail lights and only one shape for the Camaro tail lights. The Camaro's tail lights are only square and they're the same shape for all 4 tail lights.

The Corvette, however, has a hexagon shaped light for the outer tail lights and parallelogram shape lights for the inner tail lights. In both cases, the tail lights have a dramatic downward sloping angle towards the center of the car.

The only thing similar at all about these tail lights from the Camaro to the Corvette is that they both have red lenses and a shiny trim to them. Of course, the red is necessary as it's the law and the shiny trim just helps make the car a little more classy. Are you mad they did this to both cars and not just the Corvette?

In the long run it makes me think that many Corvette owners view the Camaro as the pinto of the Chevy line. They see it merely as a pile of crap that shouldn't get ANY bells and whistles or any special treatment. I don't get it, honestly. They're two completely different cars. Why does it matter if the Camaro and the Corvette share similarities? I'd like a real answer. Not this "Corvette is the flagship" BS. If you had $60K to spend on a car and the Camaro had all the same bells and whistles the Corvette had, would you really buy the Camaro over the Corvette and save $30K??? Probably not. You'd buy the big-boy toy. So what does it matter?
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I say most of those guys complaining are not even buyers...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I honestly could care less about what someone thinks about the car I'm buying. Lol
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 PM
glhs386
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Both good responses. But I'd like them to come on here and really explain what they mean.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Zentraedi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe me, more than half of the people complaining will end up buying a C7 sooner or later and praise the car when they have it.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
User24
Instructor

Will buying a porsche make the next 8 years of these hybrid monstrosities being produced and sold more bearable?
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zentraedi
Believe me, more than half of the people complaining will end up buying a C7 sooner or later and praise the car when they have it.
That's exactly what I expect, actually. I honestly believe it's just the people that bought their C6s recently and may be mad they didn't wait... buyers remorse.
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by User24
Will buying a porsche make the next 8 years of these hybrid monstrosities being produced and sold more bearable?
No. But it will empty your pocket book faster. (Might make the car lighter...)
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 PM
ucfsaxman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely seems people are getting restless around this section of the forum and I've just been casually checking and browsing threads but I'm honestly not putting much thought into anything until 1/13/13 when we finally get the reveal and can see the real thing. Even after that a few months later I'll probably go to a local dealer to check it out in person and get an even better perspective. Another thing too is that you don't have to instantly like or hate a car it's not that black and white many people have said that they didn't like a base c6 but when the wide body came out they fell in love. The difference isn't that drastic so part of it was that the design of the car became more acceptable to them or they just got use to the look of the car and grew to like it. I'm sure the C7 will be no different but until the reveal date I am neutral and am looking forward to seeing the real thing.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I owned a c5 before buying a new c6 and there were aspects I didn't love about the c6...hell there were aspects of the c5 I didn't love too

The overall package was cool as he'll though so I bought it...

I imagine the c7 will have the same effect.

Nothing is ever 100 percent perfect to everybody.

I do believe it's more intelligent to wait and see the final product before deciding it's pluses and minuses....

Logical
Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I applaud your effort OP but you cannot reason with the unreasonable. It is far easier for some to go for the catchy put-down a crowd adopts than to develop their own understanding of something. Some folks could never post anything if they could only post their own, original thoughts. Then what kind of Forum would we have..... wait......
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I honestly could care less about what someone thinks about the car I'm buying. Lol
Yes. I could not care less about the fact someone thinks it looks like a Camaro. Camaro is actually very cool car here and new SS costs 80k€ (do not convert to dollars if you want to sleep at night) You funny Americans

Last edited by Raitzi; 12-27-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Mehhhh....all debatable points honestly. On the other hand I agree to some extent....bottom line, until I see it/we see it in person, whats the point talking about it?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

OP: very nice post. It may be wasted on some of the less logical inmates, though.

One point: I'm not sure there is any shiny trim around the C7 tail lights....which would make it even LESS similar to the dreaded Camaro.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Some corvette owners are so stuck up and think they are above everything else such as having ANY part relating to the camaro automatically makes the c7 a piece of crap. It's a CHEVY corvette not a high end exotic like some people think. If the corvette had everything exclusive, then it would cost double if not more than it does now, then it was be discountinued because nobody is going to pay 100k for a base corvette. It seriously amuses me that some of these people have made themselves so dissapointed of the car because of its ****ing taillight shape relating to the camaro( Still don't know how that came about. 2 completely different styles).

No wonder corvette owners get a bad rep from the general masses. I've never seen so many people get worked up over shared styling cues of its brand.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
I say most of those guys complaining are not even buyers...
I'm one of those that do not think much of the latest drawings of the C7 I have seen posted recently. I have been driving vettes continuously since I was 17 and have owned 25 of them from all 6 generations so I would think that would qualify me as a vette buyer. I love to drive my C6 convert but by no means do I consider it the best looking design of all that I have owned.

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Both good responses. But I'd like them to come on here and really explain what they mean.
To me the design features do not flow together and look very contrived. I was hoping for something that flowed together smoothly and not so hard looking. I thought after first seeing it that it had a definite design influence from GM's asian design studio. To me the Corvette has always been first and foremost a sports car and now it looks like it was primarily designed to look like a race car with all the scoops and vents to the point of looking cheap and tacky like they came out of the J C Whitney design catalog.

It reminds me of a design that came from a design kit like the police use to create a composite of a suspect where you have all these various features available and you try to incorporate them whether they really go together or not. Like the designs that come from someone doing a mister potato head and just sticking things on so that they use everything up that they had left in the box.

My training was in design and I worked in that field my entire career and the C7 design looks like it came way more from the engineer’s side than the artistic aesthetic side of the design group. Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor and appreciate the advanced engineering but I also want it to be a work of art.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 isn't for us... We want something better!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I'm one of those that do not think much of the latest drawings of the C7 I have seen posted recently. I have been driving vettes continuously since I was 17 and have owned 25 of them from all 6 generations so I would think that would qualify me as a vette buyer. I love to drive my C6 convert but by no means do I consider it the best looking design of all that I have owned.

To me the design features do not flow together and look very contrived. I was hoping for something that flowed together smoothly and not so hard looking. I thought after first seeing it that it had a definite design influence from GM's asian design studio. To me the Corvette has always been first and foremost a sports car and now it looks like it was primarily designed to look like a race car with all the scoops and vents to the point of looking cheap and tacky like they came out of the J C Whitney design catalog.

It reminds me of a design that came from a design kit like the police use to create a composite of a suspect where you have all these various features available and you try to incorporate them whether they really go together or not. Like the designs that come from someone doing a mister potato head and just sticking things on so that they use everything up that they had left in the box.

My training was in design and I worked in that field my entire career and the C7 design looks like it came way more from the engineer’s side than the artistic aesthetic side of the design group. Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor and appreciate the advanced engineering but I also want it to be a work of art.
THANK YOU!

Seriously. This is what I've been asking for. A well explained reason why there's any negativity to the looks of the C7, and not anything about the misconstrued idea that the tail lights are the same as another car's.

Now I totally agree that after the C5 the Corvette has felt more computer designed than hand drawn. When you put your pencil down on paper and begin to draw, every line is automatically fluid. (Unless your hand shakes. LOL)

The C6's edgy design made me think there was more brain than art put into it, as you mentioned, and that struck me as impersonal.

This new design looks better than the C6 to me. More so now than before with just the Jalopnik renders we first saw a year ago. I personally love the design, especially for its progress into a more efficient shape. It also strikes me as less personal though (maybe even more than the C6). But one thing I noticed was that the interior IS more human made. It's more drawn than pieced together. I think that is what really is going to do it for me. I love the C4's interior once they went to that cockpit design. My friend had a '90 and I wanted to buy it from him but he sold it before I got a chance. I think the C7 is more of a compromise. The C6's interior definitely looked pieced together, much like the C5s. I think the C7's aero efficient exterior and it's hand drawn interior is going to be the best compromise we're going to see, and I'm quite OK with that.

But I do think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people gripe if you hang them with a new rope
Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
i couldn't agree more. 3/4 of the negative responses come from people that have no intention of buying a C7. i for one am buying a C7 and i don't complain about it although it does give me the right because i AM BUYING ONE. that would be like me going on a lexus forum and complaining about something that totally doesn't concern me. why would i care. i have no intention of buying one!

Quick Reply: C7 isn't for us... We want something better!