Sponsored by:

C7 vs SRT Viper Styling

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts
Default C7 vs SRT Viper Styling

Ok, right off the bat, I know I am going to take a few blows for even creating this thread (and I can't believe I am saying this) but here goes...

I will be the first to admit that when I first saw pictures of the new viper, I described it as a "clown shoe." Well, for the record, I would like to take back EVERYTHING negative I have said about the new Viper. I seen one in person here in Bahrain today and HOLY SCHNIKES is it beautiful and exotic in person. I immediately thought of the C7 and what we have seen so far and my impression is that from a styling standpoint, the Viper looks like it is in a whole different league. Keep in mind that I like the new styling direction for the C7, but somehow I just can't imagine it looking as good as the Viper from the pictures and spy shots we have seen so far.

I will reserve further judgment until I see the C7 in person but from what I have seen so far, to me, there is no comparison. That said, I understand that the viper doesn't compete directly with the base C7, but from a styling standpoint, I cannot imagine the C7Z being too different from the base styling.

The viper IMO has always look a bit more exotic than the Vette, but I think SRT just upped the ante even further...

For those who have not yet seen the new viper in person, do so.

Thoughts?

vs

vs

Concerned yet?

Last edited by Paulchristian; 12-28-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Concerned yet?
No, you said youself that you didn't like the Viper in pics,but are now blown away seeing one in person.

Why not give the C7 the same consideration? Especially seeing we haven't even seen a real pic of the new Corvette.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beauty of the new Gen V is that is HAS NOT strayed far from the core styling of the Gen IV. The stance, profile and overall appearance screams Viper, all the changes albeit suttle will mostly be recognized by car guys and evern more by Viper guys! The hood opening clam shell style is an example, hopefully the C7 changes will not be too dramatically different.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redzone
No, you said youself that you didn't like the Viper in pics,but are now blown away seeing one in person.

Why not give the C7 the same consideration? Especially seeing we haven't even seen a real pic of the new Corvette.
Some would argue that we have seen the C7 (reference the Jalopnik drawing above) Regardless, I am giving it consideration, that is why I said that I will reserve further judegement until I see the C7 in person. That said, I am still not convinced, from what has been seen so far (and we have seen a lot), that the C7 styling will be able to trump this Viper.

And yes, I was absolutely blown away seeming the Viper in person. It made a huge difference. Same will probably be true for the C7, but looking at the pictures that have all but confirmed the new C7 styling, I don't feel too confident...this is my point.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 12-28-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the styling but with the seats getting the bad rep that they are and hard for over 6 footers to comfortably see out of the car (imagine how hard it would be with a tall guy wearing a helmet) they might do better as an export

C & D said they were so uncomfortable they likened it to a payback for the seat designers getting beat up in WWII
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Vipers look bulky and strong to me corvettes look sleek and tough. I like sleek and tough
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I like the styling but with the seats getting the bad rep that they are and hard for over 6 footers to comfortably see out of the car (imagine how hard it would be with a tall guy wearing a helmet) they might do better as an export

C & D said they were so uncomfortable they likened it to a payback for the seat designers getting beat up in WWII
interesting. I am just starting to read about it since seeing it in person. I hope they depreciate like the previous gen...might not be too long before you can get a nice deal on a slightly used one. I can definetly see one in my garage in the future.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 12-28-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Vipers look bulky and strong to me corvettes look sleek and tough. I like sleek and tough
i hear ya, but I have aways appreciated both...except first gen vipers, never liked those...
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never been a big Viper fan as I am not a big Dodge fan. I think the Viper & Vette will certainly compete for attention when both are out and can be seen side by side. Till then, it doesn't make much sense to get into any meaningful discussion of the two.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I've never been a big Viper fan as I am not a big Dodge fan. I think the Viper & Vette will certainly compete for attention when both are out and can be seen side by side. Till then, it doesn't make much sense to get into any meaningful discussion of the two.
Well, we have certainly debated the C7 vs Camaro fiasco for a year now. Thought I would get some thoughts on two true competitors.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Well, we have certainly debated the C7 vs Camaro fiasco for a year now. Thought I would get some thoughts on two true competitors.
Fiasco is the right word for any C7 vs Camaro (or Viper) 'comparison' at this point. The C7 will be a competitor for both the Camaro and the Viper but not till we actually see them all in the flesh can we really compare them, IMO.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Both nice yet surprise it's corvette for the win.

Viper is much nicer in person than photographs....

I agree.

I'm sure the same could be said of the c7 but we ve yet to see a photograph so it's hard to really tell
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

I LOVE the new Viper's looks. It blends curves with muscle and is a sexy bitch inside and out.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stingray23
I LOVE the new Viper's looks. It blends curves with muscle and is a sexy bitch inside and out.

I was literally speechless and in zombie mode for about 10 minutes looking at it. I think I circled the car about 20 times before my friend said "what the hell are you doing?"
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

I've always liked Vipers and always wanted one. I hope I'm in a position to get one of these new ones one day.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought the viper was kinda meh looking at the reveal. Paint was awesome, but the metalflake and perfect lighting I thought helped the cars lines.

Then I saw the yellow one that's getting passed around for testing, and thought it made the car look incredibly bulbous and bland looking lines.

Now that I saw the maroon viper vs maroon zr1 side by side, forget about it. I do feel the c6's lines are a bit duller after seeing the c7 images(don't like it's looks at all btw, but it does look immediately more up to date) but would absolutely take the c6 over the new viper. No contest whatsoever. The new viper is just too jumbled and honestly, looks older then it is if it wasn't for it's outrageous and hideous mouth. The c6 tightened up and sharpened up it's lines vs the c5. The c7 seeks to take it a step further. The new viper(as well as Ferrari's latest batch I might add) are more curvy, and not in a good way. More like the "we're sticking to the original viper theme and not changing a thing." I'd absolutely take a 03-10 over the new one. Probably an old gts over the new one too.

I'll probably like the c7 looks better, but no reason to think I'll truly like it either.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Thought the viper was kinda meh looking at the reveal. Paint was awesome, but the metalflake and perfect lighting I thought helped the cars lines.

Then I saw the yellow one that's getting passed around for testing, and thought it made the car look incredibly bulbous and bland looking lines.

Now that I saw the maroon viper vs maroon zr1 side by side, forget about it. I do feel the c6's lines are a bit duller after seeing the c7 images(don't like it's looks at all btw, but it does look immediately more up to date) but would absolutely take the c6 over the new viper. No contest whatsoever. The new viper is just too jumbled and honestly, looks older then it is if it wasn't for it's outrageous and hideous mouth. The c6 tightened up and sharpened up it's lines vs the c5. The c7 seeks to take it a step further. The new viper(as well as Ferrari's latest batch I might add) are more curvy, and not in a good way. More like the "we're sticking to the original viper theme and not changing a thing." I'd absolutely take a 03-10 over the new one. Probably an old gts over the new one too.

I'll probably like the c7 looks better, but no reason to think I'll truly like it either.
have you seen the car in person or are you referring to pictures in your post above?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 vs SRT Viper Styling

Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

I also was a little disappointed when I first saw it in the mags thinking just another retro design. But when I saw it at Laguna Seca during the Motor Trend test I changed my mind. You do have to see that car in person, it's quite the stud. However I do think the C7 will date the Viper when it's shown. That's the risk of doing retro design's. It can be eclipsed immediately by a good forward thinking design.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the looks of the new viper as well. As much as I love vettes and old mustangs, I would have Viper if allowed.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skank
However I do think the C7 will date the Viper when it's shown. That's the risk of doing retro design's. It can be eclipsed immediately by a good forward thinking design.
Exactly what I am hoping for...no easy task however. We will know soon.

Quick Reply: C7 vs SRT Viper Styling