C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wasn't The Transformers Sting Ray Concept Supposed To Be A Design Direction For C7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wasn't The Transformers Sting Ray Concept Supposed To Be A Design Direction For C7?

What The H@LL Happened? I didn't totally love the Sting Ray Concept but it sure looked more Corvette like then what im seeing now!!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Frizzle86
Race Director

I remember when the C5v2 came out or rather the C6. Most C5 owners complained about how the car has hardly changed ect... several of them made the move to the C6 as the design grew on them.

Hell I loved the camaro's front end but hated the rear when it first came out. Now they have grown on me as well.

I gotta say so far I like what i've seen from GM in regards to the C7. Not too crazy about the rear so far but I don't think it would deter me from getting one if I could afford one. As far as the interior well... its GM so I don't expect sport/luxury from them like I would Audi or BMW.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Originally Posted by Frizzle86
I remember when the C5v2 came out or rather the C6. Most C5 owners complained about how the car has hardly changed ect... several of them made the move to the C6 as the design grew on them.

Hell I loved the camaro's front end but hated the rear when it first came out. Now they have grown on me as well.

I gotta say so far I like what i've seen from GM in regards to the C7. Not too crazy about the rear so far but I don't think it would deter me from getting one if I could afford one. As far as the interior well... its GM so I don't expect sport/luxury from them like I would Audi or BMW.
The problem I see is there is NO Corvette heritage in that rear end at all. They should have done a round stylized light fixture in the C2 design theme to tie it in. Now all I see is a nose that looks like a modern version of C6 and the rest of the car I just don't understand at all. IMO the side flanks in some shots look like a CTS coupe, I really don't see much traditional Corvette anywhere and that to me is sad.

Last edited by Jet Streaming; 01-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

2-1 people on this forum love the rear end so, GM should happily move on knowing there is a majority of support for the new direction. This is even before the reveal which will increase this love IMO.

So those that are in the minority can maintain their valid opinions and not buy one.

If GM sells more than projected, as I predict they will, it is a huge statement.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
User24
Instructor

Some say they can see Stingray concept influence in the c7, there's a thread on that.

If there is, it is very subdued. Just another wild concept that would never see the light of production, really.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Streaming
What The H@LL Happened? I didn't totally love the Sting Ray Concept but it sure looked more Corvette like then what im seeing now!!
If you think they made those concept cars and took nothing away from it, you're nuts. To really know what was learned would require individual inspection of every component and some engineer input. Having seen the new dash I'm disappointed we're not getting something closer to the Stingray concept, but I doubt it's going to hinder my driving experience.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

If you look at the back of "stingray" and the rear of the C7 that Ox posted you an see the similarities.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
If you look at the back of "stingray" and the rear of the C7 that Ox posted you an see the similarities.
Funny I liked the direction the StingRay concept was going in bringing back some of the Shark design theme but the one thing I didn't like was the rear treatment because it was to radical for Corvette IMO. The only similarity I can see is sort of the trapezoid grill treatment. HOWEVER that trapezoid grill shape seems to be showing up on every other new car from Taurus to the new Hyundai Santa Fe.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Funny how individual tastes work. I found the Stingray concept to be a garish caricature/mash-up of the C2 and C3 Vettes, which, while iconic, are totally the wrong direction for a 21st century sports car. Needless to say, I think the further they got from that Stingray concept, the better.

Mission accomplished. And ditching the round tail lights? About time in my opinion. I see a lot of Corvette in the renders -- more so the later ones that subtly rounded out all the sharp edges in the original Jalopnik version, thus improving it 100% to my eye.

The design of the C7 will, of course, be a critical determinant of the car's success. If the car falls short ANYWHERE (but particularly in the looks department), it will fail in the marketplace. Such is the level of competition.

I cannot wait for 1/13/13...and by early 2014 we should know whether your side is correct...or mine...
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was universally hated by C6 owners. Now we know how out of step your opinion is.
"More Corvette"...what a dumb comment. If GM puts it out, it is as Corvette as it gets or has ever gotten.

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It was universally hated by C6 owners. Now we know how out of step your opinion is.
Funny you mention that. As a C6 owner. I thought the Sting Ray concept car was ugly as sin! Matter of fact, in my opinion that concept car was a complete departure from any generation of Corvette styling. If the new C7 came out looking like that, I'm not sure I would have wanted one!

I find that the C7 renders still retain much of the Corvette styling. I think it looks more like a design progression from the C6 as opposed to the Sting Ray which looks like a complete design departure of any Corvette.

Sadly though, this thread by the OP's "design" is nothing more than a progression to further his rant about the C7 design.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
"More Corvette"...what a dumb comment. If GM puts it out, it is as Corvette as it gets or has ever gotten.
Thats your opinion and I'm entitled to mine as well as I see it.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Sure...how are those '68 VW ***** working for you?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

The problem I see is there is NO Corvette heritage in that rear end at all.
And you saw MORE "Corvette heritage" in the Transformer Vette!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought the Transformers Vette was to Cartoonish / Hotwheels looking.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

This statement I think entirely defines your lack of taste. The stingray concept has some interesting elements, but gawwwd...in some ways it was hideous...cartoony at best. It was appropriate for the movie, but the thing had the styling of a kit car.

For someone who doesn't like the rear end, the stingray concept I think had more in touch with the rear end of the current car more than anything.

When you see the C7 in a row of Corvettes from every generation, there's going to be no way you don't clearly know it's a Corvette. Gimme a break.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, this is the "way you will see it" when I pass you in my C7 while you are in one of your "20" outdated corvettes!
Attached Images  

Last edited by slief; 01-03-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wasn't The Transformers Sting Ray Concept Supposed To Be A Design Direction For C7?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
I thought the Transformers Vette was to Cartoonish / Hotwheels looking.
I agree and I thought the rear was especially odd. The double line fenders ( that Crabby J discovered ) will make it on the C7. That odd rear gets a major tone down on the C7 and maybe a little of the front grille.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
Actually, this is the "way you will see it" when I pass you in my C7 while you are in one of your "20" outdated corvettes!
EASY there buddy...my supercharged/big brakes/coilovered C5Z will still spank that ***...

Jet Streaming though will be in his automatic, stock slushbox car though, so you can handle him with ease.

No hatin on C5's though damnit!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Originally Posted by slief
Will see about that come April I just put $ down on an ordering option for a 2013 Viper last night.

Quick Reply: Wasn't The Transformers Sting Ray Concept Supposed To Be A Design Direction For C7?