Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro this / Camaro that

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
What years? My 98 t/a and 01 c5 bare no resemblance in the radio dept. Or sound system for that matter. The c5 has bose, t/a has monsoon. And the higher mileage c5 has far more quality in speakers and head unit

my bad.

it was a 2002 camaro and a 2002 c5 that both had the same radio....

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Nearly EVERY high line car shares at least something with a lower priced model within the brand's line up.
I don't hear too many Porsche Carrera S owners complaining about some of the elements their $96k+ car shares with a $49k Boxster.
Or even a $172k Turbo S Cabriolet owner overwhelmingly saddened about the similarities of his car to a $93k base Carrera Cabriolet.

If sharing some minor switchgear or even some styling cues form a cheaper model ALSO helps GM/Chevrolet deliver '$95k+ sports car performance' for only $51k - $55k, then count me in.
Huh...
ZR1, Z06,GS, Base Corvette, OK. But any Corvette, CAMARO parts lineage is not the same comparison as your Porsche example above
Regardless, I'm with ya
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Corvette-Camaro is no different than 911-Boxster.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

For me, the only thing that matters is how a car makes me feel...both from looking at it and from driving it. From what I have seen and read, I am really excited about the C7.

And while it will may be a while before I own a C7, I will still enthusiastically enjoy the next generation of Corvette(s), and the legacy that continues because of it.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Hey look, it's another dismissive missive from COz4!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

Thank ya, thank ya very much!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
1965 Shelby Gt 350 has the EXACT same gauge cluster and radio as the Ford Falcon.

The 1967 Shelby GT 500 has the exact same sequential tailights as the Ford Thunderbird.

What is my point?

Two of the the most historic, most valuable, most universally respected muscle cars in history borrowed EXACT pieces from lesser models.

So I guess Carrol Shelby was an idiot...

If you hate the new corvette because you hate the design that IMO is an acceptable position and one many wil take.

If you hate it solely on the basis of perceived brand similarity then you have made a tired weak arguement that the herd has made.

Every time someone makes the camaro point I go out in my garage, sit in my 66 Shelby and thank the car Gods for Carrol Shelby.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion ......... If it matches mine. ha !!!
Don't forget that the Mustang utilized the Falcon's chassis, suspension and drivetrain components.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The car would be a lot more than 80k if it didn't use some of the same parts from lesser models. I'd actually prefer it to use as many of the same parts from other models as much as possible as long as it doesn't reduce performance or quality. It's called good engineering cost management. Therefore, these parts will be produced in much greater volume making them cheaper. Then if you ever need to replace said part, it ends up being 1000x cheaper and 1000x easier to find.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Lets be real.
2) The vast majority of the people complaining about the C7 right now have no intentions of buying it, regardless of what it looks like. They simply are trying to save face, as their love-of-their life C6 gets dated by a newer, better vehicle.

Actually, I think the vast majority complaining will buy one. Some will hold off for a year or two, and continue to complain, but eventually, they'll cave and buy one. The C6 was a great car, I loved mine and still think its one of the best looking cars ever made, but its dated and time for something new (like rectangular tail lights).
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

...I just hope this new c7 dosn't devalue my Camero by looking too much like it.!:toet ap:

it is obvious he does not know how to use emoticons!

...hey, who's he talking to?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1965 Shelby Gt 350 has the EXACT same gauge cluster and radio as the Ford Falcon.

The 1967 Shelby GT 500 has the exact same sequential tailights as the Ford Thunderbird.

What is my point?

Two of the the most historic, most valuable, most universally respected muscle cars in history borrowed EXACT pieces from lesser models.

If you hate the new corvette because you hate the design that IMO is an acceptable position and one many wil take.

If you hate it solely on the basis of perceived brand similarity then you have made a tired weak arguement that the herd has made.

Every time someone makes the camaro point I go out in my garage, sit in my 66 Shelby and thank the car Gods for Carrol Shelby.

My V6 Black Camaro is pretty badass from behind. The tail lights are sinister.

If the C7 doesn't have oval or round tail lights like the rest of the generations it might be awesome just the same.

Can't wait till 1-13-13

Go leafs go!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
Actually, I think the vast majority complaining will buy one. Some will hold off for a year or two, and continue to complain, but eventually, they'll cave and buy one. The C6 was a great car, I loved mine and still think its one of the best looking cars ever made, but its dated and time for something new (like rectangular tail lights).
I still love my C6 and will keep it even when I get a C7. I guess "dated" is not such a negative thing when the older car still looks so good. Great design is timeless. You could call a C2 dated....but it's still stunning to look at.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Vette NV. I have used the term dated. I have also made clear that IMO all Corvettes are beautiful. I think it is a mistake to bash one then claim your model is the best. Who doesn't like C2's but they are not good drivers but great lookers. Then many say I am keeping my C whatever because C7's are ugly. As a Corvette owner/ fan for decades I take offense at any body calling a stock factory Corvette ugly. As a fan I think it is ignorant. A C 7 is not a C6, aC3 a C1... It is a new beautiful Corvette...save the wave
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I still love my C6 and will keep it even when I get a C7. I guess "dated" is not such a negative thing when the older car still looks so good. Great design is timeless. You could call a C2 dated....but it's still stunning to look at.
My 68 Camaro is "dated" and isn't going anywhere! I've had here 20 years now and still think it has some great lines! That and I poured my heart and sole into building her. She has less than 2000 miles on since this was taken more that 15 years ago. One of these days she'll get C6 engine and drive train! If you hold something dear to you, dated makes it more appreciable!

Now I love my 68 Camaro. I am not a big fan of the new Camaro though. My daughter on the other hand owns a 2010 Yellow SS. I just don't see a big Camaro resemblance in the C7 renders and drawings. If I did, I would be disappointed as opposed to chomping at the bit. Like others have said, most of the nay sayers will find an affection for the new design or it will grow on them at the very least. It happens with every generation of Corvette as well most other cars.

Last edited by slief; 01-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Gary-kq6rt
Intermediate

If Chevrolet wants to make the back end of the Corvette and Camaro look similar that's fine with me, but I would rather have seen it done the other way around with the Camaro getting the Corvette rear treatment. Personally I think the Camaro rear end looks ugly on the Camaro, so I don't see why they would want to transplant it to any other car.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Vette NV. I have used the term dated. I have also made clear that IMO all Corvettes are beautiful. I think it is a mistake to bash one then claim your model is the best. Who doesn't like C2's but they are not good drivers but great lookers. Then many say I am keeping my C whatever because C7's are ugly. As a Corvette owner/ fan for decades I take offense at any body calling a stock factory Corvette ugly. As a fan I think it is ignorant. A C 7 is not a C6, aC3 a C1... It is a new beautiful Corvette...save the wave
I agree in part, but just because I'm a Corvette enthusiast doesn't mean I think every Corvette is beautiful, or that every era of design lives up to the legend.

I like to think I'm objective to a degree. I've owned every generation but C1 and there were some that were very disappointed cars....both from a mechanical and a style standpoint. Having said that, I don't think any stock Corvette is ugly, although some designs have certainly weathered the years better than others. I'm keepin my C6 because I love it.....and I will have no problem parking a C7 next to it my garage. My wife's Mercedes having to sit outside at that point will be my REAL problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 762 Likes on 465 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Looks like the Camaro will get more horsepower with the LS7. Maybe the new Corvette could copy that!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 AM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What is my point?

I thought (or is it just me) that people think that the camaro is not the prettiest looking car and that's why people complain. There are some things I like on the camaro, namely its body, but its the tacky fake plastic aluminum on the tail lights and cheap, tacky plastic on the inside that makes me shake my head. I believe and hope for the c7 that gm could make solf plastic and better materials that still keep costs down to put money for where it really matters...in performance and fun.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:06 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slief

Now I love my 68 Camaro.
Me too!!!

Your Camaro is stunning, man I wish I knew how to do stuff like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro this / Camaro that