Sponsored by:

Weight benchmark

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The 53 has a curb weight of 2850 pounds and my 56 Vette has a curb weight of 2875 pounds.
The lightest Modern Corvette? 53 and 56 are far from modern.
I had a 73 and you couldn't give it to me!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Name one lighter than the '58. That is where I got the idea.
Does the '63 Grand Sport of which only 5 were built count? They weighed in around 1900 lbs:

'63 Grand Sport Corvette History

If not, how about this one? It comes in around 2400 lbs. It is licensed by GM and once it's in full production, it can be sold by any Chevrolet dealer, so I have read:

[VIDEO] 1963 E-ROD Corvette Grand Sport at SEMA

[VIDEO] Superformance Remakes the Legendary Corvette Grand Sport

Last edited by GrayC5; 01-17-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GrayC5
Does the '63 Grand Sport of which only 5 were built count? They weighed in around 1900 lbs:

'63 Grand Sport Corvette History

If not, how about this one? It comes in around 2400 lbs. It is licensed by GM and once it's in full production, it can be sold by any Chevrolet dealer, so I have read:

[VIDEO] 1963 E-ROD Corvette Grand Sport at SEMA

[VIDEO] Superformance Remakes the Legendary Corvette Grand Sport
Turns out there were a bunch. To split driving duties with my '82 Silverado on a regular basis, though, my C6 does fine and still regularly puts a grin on my face.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Turns out there were a bunch. To split driving duties with my '82 Silverado on a regular basis, though, my C6 does fine and still regularly puts a grin on my face.
'94 Silverado sport side here and it complements our C6 well too.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
The lightest Modern Corvette? 53 and 56 are far from modern.
I had a 73 and you couldn't give it to me!
Compared to a C4, they are modern.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Now Torch Z is infected with selective vision. It's disingenuous to pretend to be naive and label every pound added since C4 as junk / fat / filler / luxury. Anyone who truly believes it's all junk / fat / filler / luxury is stunningly ignorant.

Rocket science this isn't. One more time: performance improvement, which is desirable, plus safety improvement, which is federally mandated so whether you think it's desirable is moot. Size is part of those performance and safety improvements. That's where the mass is. C4 could not legally be sold today. Stop using C4 as a baseline and only subtracting weight for aluminum engine block & lighter starter etc and acting like that's a realistic expectation for C7. It's not and either you damn well know it or you're clueless. You don't like how fat sports cars have gotten? Write your Congressman and tell them to rein in NHTSA. Ask them to slap the EPA around while you're at it.

.Jinx
Talk about selective vision. If there is a size difference between the C4 and C7 it is marginal. We all know the C4 could not be sold legally today. Neither Ramey nor I are clueless. I just want to see an analysis of the 300 or more lbs. Ramey "discovered" vs. being satisfied to list "impediments" without numbers attached to them.

Actually, 3100 lbs. or less was a very realistic expectation for the C5, but it seems decisions were made to not ruthlessly achieve that goal and instead shoot for other goals. It does not break my heart, and the C7 is no pig.

Here's the thing. Over the last 30 years, Porsches got heavier and bigger while Vettes held their weight (or achived modest reductions) and got a bit tidier (especially the C6). I loved it -- kicking the Germans right in their teutonic, efficient butts. I just think it is a shame that the latest 911-variant actually dropped some weight while performing better than its predecessor and meeting regs, but apparently the C7 Vette didn't. After all, "performance improvement" can come from "adding lightness" as Colin Chapman used to say. Seems Porsche may have gone that way this time around.

I never said "every pound added since C4 as junk / fat / filler / luxury" -- but I would bet plenty of it is. I would love to know how much -- and how much to blame the pinheads in DC vs. the brass in GM. You come across as someone who just wants to insult people and put words in their mouth to help you do it. At least when I insult the pinheads in DC and the brass in GM I let their own words and actions do that for me
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Compared to a C4, they are modern.
Talk about losing credibility. The C4 turned around the image of a car that had become a total joke. Were you awake in '84?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Talk about selective vision. If there is a size difference between the C4 and C7 it is marginal. We all know the C4 could not be sold legally today. Neither Ramey nor I are clueless. I just want to see an analysis of the 300 or more lbs. Ramey "discovered" vs. being satisfied to list "impediments" without numbers attached to them.

Actually, 3100 lbs. or less was a very realistic expectation for the C5, but it seems decisions were made to not ruthlessly achieve that goal and instead shoot for other goals. It does not break my heart, and the C7 is no pig.

Here's the thing. Over the last 30 years, Porsches got heavier and bigger while Vettes held their weight (or achived modest reductions) and got a bit tidier (especially the C6). I loved it -- kicking the Germans right in their teutonic, efficient butts. I just think it is a shame that the latest 911-variant actually dropped some weight while performing better than its predecessor and meeting regs, but apparently the C7 Vette didn't. After all, "performance improvement" can come from "adding lightness" as Colin Chapman used to say. Seems Porsche may have gone that way this time around.

I never said "every pound added since C4 as junk / fat / filler / luxury" -- but I would bet plenty of it is. I would love to know how much -- and how much to blame the pinheads in DC vs. the brass in GM. You come across as someone who just wants to insult people and put words in their mouth to help you do it. At least when I insult the pinheads in DC and the brass in GM I let their own words and actions do that for me
Mind if interject a few facts in this discussion.

C7...
length 177"
width 73.9"
height 48.6"
weight 3,350#(est)

C4 ZR-1...

length 178.5"
width 73.1"
height 46.3"
weight 3,503#

C4 GS...
length 178.5"
width 70.7"
height 46.3"
weight 3,350#.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Mind if interject a few facts in this discussion.

C7...
length 177"
width 73.9"
height 48.6"
weight 3,350#(est)

C4 ZR-1...

length 178.5"
width 73.1"
height 46.3"
weight 3,503#

C4 GS...
length 178.5"
width 70.7"
height 46.3"
weight 3,350#.
You cherry pick most effectively. Facts without context are noise.

ZR1 with the monster engine? '96 GS with monster tires and other add-ons? . Note also, not helping your point a bit, is that the length of the C7 is actually LESS; as to the width, look at the "figures" of the cars -- most of the extra width of the C7 is due to track and coke bottle design -- I bet the midsections, including all the safety bars, are very close.

Go back to the curb weight of the '84 (3196) or to the basic premise of the argument -- we have a car that shed over 150 lbs in the frame etc. vs. its direct predecessor but picked up at least 150 lbs elsewhere -- and don't tell me it's all safety until we see the #'s.

The C7 could have been designed to a target of 3100 lbs and was not. I would argue that is a relevant fact, and one I am a bit disappointed in (but only a bit, truth be told). I was very attuned to Jeuchter's politician-like intro which highlighted all the component weight reduction while I was left waiting to hear: "thus resulting in a 150 lbs. lighter C7" which never came.

A slight disappointment during an otherwise exciting night.