C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Chief Reveals C7's New Mission...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
Trust me. Overseas is out and always will be. Nearly every European country are going to have high import fees and taxes applied to the Corvette, just like they always have. A C6 with all the fees is Porsche 911 and Aston DB9 money over there.

Here, we love the Corvette because you can't buy more car for the money. There, it's the same amount of money as everything else. Outside of price, cars sell in Europe based upon exclusivity. The Corvette isn't a household name like it is here, no one there sees it as anything special.
SO what is your take the C7's new mission?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Must be the "The steamship lost the AC" episode.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

General Motors as a whole have been striving towards a younger market with virtually everything they do. I expect the C7 to be no different. While younger buyers may not have the money, they may aspire towards a C7 as opposed to a Viper, Porsche, etc. That is my take on what it should be anyhow.

The statement released sounds a lot like they may be trying the Euro market again. And while I respect the effort, the reality is that nothing they do is going to make a difference.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

General Motors as a whole have been striving towards a younger market with virtually everything they do. I expect the C7 to be no different. While younger buyers may not have the money, they may aspire towards a C7 as opposed to a Viper, Porsche, etc. That is my take on what it should be anyhow.

The statement released sounds a lot like they may be trying the Euro market again. And while I respect the effort, the reality is that nothing they do is going to make a difference.
So you do agree that the new mission is to increase overseas sales. The real question is will they succeed and the answer is probably not, especially since the economy there sucks.

I certainly agree that part of it's mission is to break into the younger, affluent buyer demo.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by Kappa
Keep having to remind my self that there are only 2 days left. I think this car is going to surprise a lot of people on this forum. To the point they will want to buy despite what they've said on here.
I sure hope you are right!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Trust me. Overseas is out and always will be. Nearly every European country are going to have high import fees and taxes applied to the Corvette, just like they always have. A C6 with all the fees is Porsche 911 and Aston DB9 money over there.

Here, we love the Corvette because you can't buy more car for the money. There, it's the same amount of money as everything else. Outside of price, cars sell in Europe based upon exclusivity. The Corvette isn't a household name like it is here, no one there sees it as anything special.
Hmm, not sure about consumers within countries in Europe, are you? I do know I surf with a lot of Aussies (most young guys) in Indonesia & they commonly tell me if they lived in the USA they would buy an American car with a big V-8 in it. That sounds to me like they would love to own a Vette.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Younger Market
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

So you do agree that the new mission is to increase overseas sales. The real question is will they succeed and the answer is probably not, especially since the economy there sucks.

I certainly agree that part of it's mission is to break into the younger, affluent buyer demo.
When I read the mission, I certainly think that overseas markets are one of the possibilities. However, I think they are putting more stock into a younger market.

Originally Posted by zland
I do know I surf with a lot of Aussies (most young guys) in Indonesia & they commonly tell me if they lived in the USA they would buy an American car with a big V-8 in it.
Correct, if they lived here.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Must be the "The steamship lost the AC" episode.

Nah, it's that one where they both admitted they were gay....I think.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here are some benchmarks for a new model. These are the production numbers from the past.

1984 - C4- 51,547
1997 - C5- 9,752 ( 31,084 for '98)
2005 - C6- 37,372

It's not easy to develop a new target for the C7 here. 2012 production was down to 11,647. GM has spent a lot of money on the C7. I suspect they would like to at least double the '12 numbers. There is just no way they'll hit the old numbers though.

The Corvette has a problem. The development costs have to be spread over fewer cars. That means higher prices for each Corvette sold. Higher prices could well mean fewer younger buyers.

btw - Is a younger buyer anyone under age 60?

Richard Newton
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

What the heck is the new mission?? I'm guessing it is to sell big overseas!
That's not a new mission. C6 had the same mission.

Originally Posted by TorqueDriver
That fits right in with what you said earlier about a more narrow C7 in order to be more competitive for the overseas market.
An inch or two isn't going to suddenly make Europeans like the car. Saying the Corvette's problem in Europe is width is like saying the reason Kanye West is annoying is his sunglasses.

Perhaps this is just more marketing BS. Technically the C7 is new so any mission given it is a new mission. If they'd said "Corvette's new mission," different story. --Even if that's not what they meant, it's just marketing BS.

Originally Posted by DCBE
I guess they will be cranking up the line to produce right hand drive versions for England, Japan and Australia
Now THAT would be a new mission. The Aussies deserve some RHD Corvette love just for keeping the RWD flame going.
I am hopeful but not expectant.

.Jinx
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
That's not a new mission. C6 had the same mission.
OK, smarty pants, what BS do you think they will say is the new mission?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't know. I can't think of anything they could say that would (a) make sense and (b) not be a goal they've set for Corvette before.

Except "sell to younger buyers," which we got tired of hearing 18 months ago but some people might think is a new goal. Of course, the aging demographic has been a Corvette worry since C5. Probably C4. Younger, more upscale, more popular in Europe -- three ways of saying the same thing: we want more people to recognize how cool Corvette is.

Admirable, not new.

.Jinx
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Wow you hear some stupid things on this site! First saying a car that starts around $80K is the same money as a car that is around $200K. And then saying people buy Corvettes here simply because you can't buy anything else more which is basically saying people only buy Corvettes because of the price. And third saying the Corvette is not seen as special overseas.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CaryKen
"To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
Wow you hear some stupid things on this site!
Oh really?

First saying a car that starts around $80K is the same money as a car that is around $200K.
Here are a few examples as perspective.

Here is a lightly used Z06 for the same price as this lightly used Maserati GranTurismo S. Here in the States, the price gap between those two same cars would be at least 20k, more likely towards 30k. Here is a list of many cars for sale in the same price range. Almost every last one would be much more expensive than a Z06 here.

Also at the same price as that Centennial is an Audi R8 V10 Spyder! The price difference here would be at least 35-40k for a similar comparison.

There, buyers will choose Maserati > Corvette, R8 > Corvette every single time. That's just how it is.

And then saying people buy Corvettes here simply because you can't buy anything else more which is basically saying people only buy Corvettes because of the price.
I didn't say that.

And third saying the Corvette is not seen as special overseas.
They aren't. Fact.

Last edited by BluegrassMotorsport; 01-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

All this hype leads me to think something epic has been done here...they better not disappoint me!

Last edited by Tact; 01-11-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Chief Reveals C7's New Mission...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
China....
You could be correct. That is a LOT of people over there to sell Corvettes to. They keep talking about China's growing new wealth.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Lower CO2 means lower price and more competitive against the locals with already low emissions.

I estimate C7 will cost 80-100k€ in my country when imported(at least I hope so). A new carrera S from retail is 168k€.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 AM
C5 2K1 Dream
Instructor

I'm in the Air Force and I have been stationed here in Italy for the past 2 years. I can be the first one to tell you that the Italians know what the Corvette is and they appreciate it for its world class acceleration and wonderful track times. On the other hand, there are far less car enthusiast over here than in the states. They are also extremely loyal to Italian brands. My neighbor often tells me how as a little boy everyone grows up wanting to own a Ferrari because of the great Enzo Ferrari and the great heritage of Ferrari racing. Also how people love the Lambo for its owner Furricio, and how he went from building tractors as a farmer to building supercars that battle Ferraris. The Corvette, to Italians, I can't speak for Europe, is a nice car but not on the same level. I showed my neighbor my C6 and he was impressed but in the same breathe asked me how it compares to the 458? He said that my car was nice but he has always wanted a Ferrari.

In my opinion, the goal of the C7 is to shake the image of what to expect when you see a Corvette pull up, not some older gentleman. GM knows that they have to go after the future. The future is the youth. I myself, feel like that is still me, 34. The GTR sold off of being a user friend digital wonder car......not counting the looks. But to think that a 18 yr. old can work and save for a few years and get one and the day he gets it, he can out run almost every street car 0-60 and in the qtr. Most of all, the younger people feel that the GTR is cool. Just like the Scion sells cars with dancing hamsters! They want the car to be cool, and not seen as a car that a prerequisite is you have to have to be older. The first thing is that it has to perform and hopefully they will not disappoint!

Quick Reply: Corvette Chief Reveals C7's New Mission...