Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

The wheels in the service manual illustrations looked more unique than the ones GM presented on the display cars, and, frankly, they would improve the "overall" look of the car dramatically IMHO...I think the body is workable, but those rims on the display cars are a step backwards (both the silver and especially the black).

Why do they seem to struggle with the rims (e.g. C5 "wagon wheels", and 2013 base 5 star blech)? There are literally hundreds of good looking rims out there, several within GM for that matter, (heck the ones on my wife's Cruze LTZ look slick), but these look like they were just warm-overs done by the B team 12th hour...

I've relocated the illustration of the wheel that I am referencing....and hope it is an option.

Guess it may be good for the aftermarket tho...someone's gotta advertise in the print mags.

Overall I'm impressed with the technology, and find the styling workable, again, with just simply a better wheel design.

Last edited by bub; 01-13-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
here are some pics to compair....I think it looks great and may somewhat resemble a camaro but is also very diferent.
"Compair"? Really?

Originally Posted by yarbsea
The amount of sour grapes in this thread is insane. People need to quit being so mad. I can only imagine how bad someone feels who picked up a 2013 C6 on friday, and now , in an instant, their brand new car has the look of a 2005 model. The C7 is top of the line.
"in an instant"...? 2005 = C6. 2013 = C6. Why would the 2013 NOT have the look of the 2005? How does the C7 "instantly" affect this relationship?

For my part, I'm not knocked over by the new car, but there are parts/angles that look great to me. However, I'm not sure how long it'll take to get used to that rear-end treatment. I'm going to try to let it grow on me, but the rear may do for aftermarket body kit designers what Apple's round iMac mouse did back in 1998 for USB peripheral makers.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Beautiful!! I am sure it will be a track monster as well. As much torque as the LS7 below 4000 rpm is phenomenal. A lot of cars are gonna get passed on the tracks every weekend. No more steering fluid boil, no need to upgrade brakes, radiator won't need to be modified for air flow, coolers for the drive train already installed, synced shifting rpm, several AH programs, dry sump, body aero from the factory, 50/50 weight. Homerun guys!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desue
I like except for the Camaro-like tail lights
I agree. Let them be round!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
kaneda
4th Gear

It never amazes how polarizing a new design is received by the enthusiasts groups. One could conclude this is why Dodge stayed true to the Viper's roots with the new cars' design. Course that just led fanboys to wine and complain about being too conservative and "looking back."

Instead of getting too much into the subjective weeds with you guys, I'd like to focus on one word that was purposely used over and over again during the reveal. Being a marketing guy myself, such blatant "key messaging" makes me cringe, but nonetheless. That word was "INTERNATIONAL". As an American sports car lover, this word continues to irritate and annoy me. It's this acknowledgement that the best performance cars somehow come from other nations. That American cars somehow need to "grow up" and start looking and feeling like their european counterparts. Flash forward to today...

Now the Viper and Vette are so called "INTERNATIONAL" cars. But are they? And in the process of being a member of the world, have they lost something? Have they had to sacrifice the rawness that made people love them so much in the first place? Regardless of the answers, the desire by GM and other car companies is clear - the US Market is no longer their focus. So even though the pedigree of these cars is all US, the focus from the manufacturers is to create something that will be accepted by the world marketplace. So what does that mean?

To the guys at GM, it means stop making interiors that look like they were lifted from rental cars. Face it guys, the C6 interior is a joke. But look at the C7 interior...so uninspired and confusing. So boring. Completely devoid of any unique design or character. Not too mention it looks EXACTLY the same as the new Viper's interior. Because they both fell victim to the same trap. That using the finest new materials and digital technology = world class interior. But what they failed to achieve is an interior that feels iconic, classic and has character (which is what the Vette moniker should always strive for).

Another marketing NO NO is to just call something new the same name as something old. Stingray. Why? Sure it's a cool name. But this car has nothing in common with that old classic. Again, GM trying to arbitrarily slap the name on so they can beat their chests on day 1 and state they've created an instant classic.

Personally, I find the Viper and Vette trapped in this place now where they are chasing their own tails. Both cars had a chance to WOW the world with truly innovative design but ended up looking like they came from frankenstein's lab - with all of the major design cues stollen from other models. The viper stole from it's own past and fiat/ferrari, and the vette from the GTR/Camaro.

In the end, I just wish American car companies would stop following the world, and start leading again. We've become the world's bitch by making lazy cars, going to the recycle bin too often, and forgetting that simplicity with charter is what makes a classic, not digital tachs and vents all over the place.

Ultimately, I think this car has plusses and minuses. It makes me feel like GM was so insecure about what to do with design that they just did it all, at once. Almost like they took a team of designers and let them each take a section.

Last edited by kaneda; 01-13-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Blackkaz04
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A7X
It's too bad the Corvette died tonight. Long live the Camaro rear end and the C3 station wagon rear window!
bahaha...whatever old man. This car will sell. Much more modern looking than the C6....
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Doubledown555
Intermediate

Wait till the aftermarket gets ahold of it. Or just wait a couple years, your opinion will change .
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Power2Spare
Not a fan. What's with the firebird logo?
You mean Airforce.
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

The Camaro tail lights, no way, was not sure if I was going to get a 68 or 69 Big Block or a new one ... But I think that is the way I'm going. I do love my 72 and will make the "new" addition the daily good weather driver. I love all but the rear, by now some "kid" is making the new rear panel. (with proper corvette lights).
Lets hope there are some real colors, not resale red or yugo -orange.

THE REAR IS HORRIABLE, THE REST LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. I am also choosing to go with a chrome C3 big block and will wait for the aftermarket rear...

REMEMBER " NOTHING STINGS LIKE A RAY"

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-13-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
montereyred
Advanced

Originally Posted by desue
I like except for the Camaro-like tail lights
the square tails link it to the camaro....shouldnt the camaro try to link to the vette? who's king of the hill here?
boo hiss.
Ill keep my c6 and enjoy the shorter lenght and more (???) trunkspace!

1 positive... wish I could get the front LEDS retro-ed to my 2007(can be done now but a MAJOR PITA.)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Badgrbob
Looks bad *** from front and sides but the back will have to grow on me except the exhaust. Don't think I would trade in my '11 GS for it. Anyone here the cost yet?
I asked if price would change much. Said no, of you could afford a C6 you could afford a C7.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
DesertDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by kaneda
It never amazes how polarizing a new design is received by the enthusiasts groups. One could conclude this is why Dodge stayed true to the Viper's roots with the new cars' design. Course that just led fanboys to wine and complain about being too conservative and "looking back."

Instead of getting too much into the subjective weeds with you guys, I'd like to focus on one word that was purposely used over and over again during the reveal. Being a marketing guy myself, such blatant "key messaging" makes me cringe, but nonetheless. That word was "INTERNATIONAL". As an American sports car lover, this word continues to irritate and annoy me. It's this acknowledgement that the best performance cars somehow come from other nations. That American cars somehow need to "grow up" and start looking and feeling like their european counterparts. Flash forward to today...

Now the Viper and Vette are so called "INTERNATIONAL" cars. But are they? And in the process of being a member of the world, have they lost something? Have they had to sacrifice the rawness that made people love them so much in the first place? Regardless of the answers, the desire by GM and other car companies is clear - the US Market is no longer their focus. So even though the pedigree of these cars is all US, the focus from the manufacturers is to create something that will be accepted by the world marketplace. So what does that mean?

To the guys at GM, it means stop making interiors that look like they were lifted from rental cars. Face it guys, the C6 interior is a joke. But look at the C7 interior...so uninspired and confusing. So boring. Completely devoid of any unique design or character. Not too mention it looks EXACTLY the same as the new Viper's interior. Because they both fell victim to the same trap. That using the finest new materials and digital technology = world class interior. But what they failed to achieve is an interior that feels iconic, classic and has character (which is what the Vette moniker should always strive for).

Another marketing NO NO is to just call something new the same name as something old. Stingray. Why? Sure it's a cool name. But this car has nothing in common with that old classic. Again, GM trying to arbitrarily slap the name on so they can beat their chests on day 1 and state they've created an instant classic.

Personally, I find the Viper and Vette trapped in this place now where they are chasing their own tails. Both cars had a chance to WOW the world with truly innovative design but ended up looking like they came from frankenstein's lab - with all of the major design cues stollen from other models. The viper stole from it's own past and fiat/ferrari, and the vette from the GTR/Camaro.

In the end, I just wish American car companies would stop following the world, and start leading again. We've become the world's bitch by making lazy cars, going to the recycle bin too often, and forgetting that simplicity with charter is what makes a classic, not digital tachs and vents all over the place.

Ultimately, I think this car has plusses and minuses. It makes me feel like GM was so insecure about what to do with design that they just did it all, at once. Almost like they took a team of designers and let them each take a section.
Wow...Tell me how you really feel. Face it.....The folks at GM knocked it outta the park with this car. It will be an instant classic. WOW...just WOW. I will buy one. Lazy? No way. I am sooooo proud to have this car built in the USA!

Over and out for now....

Desert Dog
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
DJROBJ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, what a bunch of haters. It's been a while since I've owned a Corvette, and I think my wait has been worth it. Looks like a home run to me, and I'm sure they will sell a ton of them. Have been thinking about a used Aston Martin Vantage, or a 911, but have been waiting on the release of this car to decide. I'll wait to see it in person before I decide, but it certainly is a likely candidate. I like the C6, but never liked it enough to want to own one. The chinsy interior has always been a turn off for me. I remember when I first saw the C6 back in 05, and how disappointed I was in the interior. It never grew on me, and just kept looking more dated and plastic fantastic as time went by. I just hope the interior of this new C7 delivers on quality in person. It's a make it or break it deal. If not, I'm picking up an Aston, or a Porsche.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM
DJROBJ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackkaz04
bahaha...whatever old man. This car will sell. Much more modern looking than the C6....
X2

Funny, as I think the Corvette was re-born tonight. Gotta love different people's perspective.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM
iamme123
1st Gear

I think it is a very stylish and very C6 looking race car. Which is basically what it is... in todays market of bigger faster american muscle, it is extremely refreshing to see a company build a performance car that is made to stick to the road and truly perform and not just go straight. I too am of the opinion that the square tail lights are not apart of the corvette heritage and personally does not appeal to me either. With the design of the trunk and rear quarter panels being so square, I truly can't imagine them being round, so I guess its going to have to be something we get use to. Can't wait to step on the gas!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM
chrisw95
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by plasboy
I asked if price would change much. Said no, of you could afford a C6 you could afford a C7.
If the chart with the price in the earlier pages of this thread are correct, than 59k is an increase, however, what that doesn't state, is what model it is.
If it's 59k for a base model, it was a substantial increase, not unlike the C5 to C6 increase, but things are a little different economy wise now.
With GM trying to get the "younger crowd" to purchase, that increase seems to defeat that goal.

Once again, I'll wait to see it in person, and to drive it before making a decision.

Last edited by chrisw95; 01-13-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
like it but would like to see all the vents in body color.
black (or carbon) really stands out too much against the torch (or whatever) red
However, since I only buy black that should not be an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
redroket
Racer

Default back end

Originally Posted by Just Buy It
I agree. Let them be round!
I totally agree! They need to be round! How badass would that look, like a previous poster said someone is already planning on making a new backend for this thing just from the pics and posts!
I do like most every other thing I see though and I do like the styling on everything but the rearend but like everything else I will get used to it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Raygun82
Intermediate

Back end looks very much Camaroish with an old Firebird emblem for the new C7 logo. Defintely don't like the back end and rear window transitions. I guess I need to see it in person as well. It's funny, how automaker/designers struggle with square vs. round concepts.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 PM
camaro402
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like butt to me ill keep my z06

Quick Reply: C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13