Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Only 450 HP flywheel? What happened to 650?

Seems kinda weak.....

My 2000 C5, w/ LS2 w/ heads+cam is 580 HP flywheel, 485 RWHP
Your C5 is a moot point as it is obviously modded. Put the same mods on a C6's LS2 or 3.. and certainly this C7 LT1 and that owner would run away from U as if your shifter hand suddenly got a case of Palsy.

Also...HP numbers haven't been finalized yet. I'm expecting 465-470HP in a 100lb lighter vehicle with more torque and a better shifting tranny, supposedly more advance LC, and an even less restrictive exhaust.

I want FE4 Z51, in Grey or Silver, black comp seats, possibly black wheels, and optional M2W control for exhaust.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Kingsize
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear is absolutely KILLING it for me. Everything else is just "OK". Was looking forward to a third Corvette. I may end up jumping ship to Porsche or Viper.

Seriously disappointing.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Supervettes LLC
Looks like we'll be very busy this year...

New rear bumper with ROUND tail lights coming right up!

Round tail lights and get rid of all the plastic crap on the bottom.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by yz250fPilot
Agreed; the C6 now looks old like a C4...
Please I wouldn't go that far to call it the red headed step child!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yz250fPilot
the C6 now looks old like a C4...
And the C4 looks 100% better.

Looks like they got those tail lights from the camaro parts bin.
The 'designers' need to understand what the Stingray was, before re-using the name on this design. Abysmal.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
I fell in love at the first sight with the C6. C6 is the reason why i bought a corvette.

The C6 GS/Z06/ZR1, from a pure styling standpoint, is very close to perfection for me. From the first time I saw one, I had to have one. It took years of driving a paid for, beat up, S10 pickup but I was finally able to save the money and get my dream car. I will always own my C6, I will never own a C7 unless they make some major changes, so I guess my next Corvette will at minimum be a C8.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Arachnyd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Kingsize
The rear is absolutely KILLING it for me. Everything else is just "OK". Was looking forward to a third Corvette. I may end up jumping ship to Porsche or Viper.

Seriously disappointing.
Funny how different perspectives are because i love the rear end... the front end is what i dont like as much... looks too much like a c6 with a hood vent. the rear end is one of the best rear ends on a car ive ever seen... an opinion i previously held for the 5th gen camaros, but this one ups the camaro. (I thought across the board the 5th gen camaro was a MUCH better looking car than the C6 vette. The C5 vette was a much better looking car than the 4th gen camaro though!)
vets2vette
Intermediate

I love Corvette's, C1, through C6, I think I'll keep my C5, and maybe buy a C6 Z06 Convertible, Remember to Wave!!
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait until you see the prices for the C7. I bought my '99 C5 for 35k. Bet it will be double. Also it amazes me why GM engineers don't ask for more customer input. A good design must reflect the customer's wants. Perfect example is the rear end of the C7.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM
roadrage06
Instructor

Originally Posted by LancePearson
When in 1992 or so GM was losing huge amounts due to the Japanese invasion and they cancelled the LT5 zr1 engine limiting it to another 1500 engines the designer of the engine already had the parts on hand to modify the top to generate 475 to 485 hp with it. Others since have taken it far farther than that so it's a little underwhelming to see 22 years in models later that they are pushing an engine with less power. By the way, mine in sixth gear at 73 mph on the Interstate gets 29.1 already at the "normal" valet key setting, 1991 zr-1. Expectations? I'd say they are a little behind and for that matter, shutting cylinders down to save fuel. They tried that years ago with Caddy and my early 90's Z had half the air tubes and half the injectors down unless you switched the valet key to on. What did that do? It kept it to 250 hp and fuel usage unless you wanted power then you switched it on and opened them and it generated 400 hp at 5800 rpm but 443 hp at 6200 rpm and this was 1991 bone stock before they added hp as planned.

Expectations? I'd say they are somewhat behind a curve rather than leading the curve if you want the truth. The shape is interesting but first impressions are the rear end is something which gives me pause and the exterior is way too busy but maybe it will grow on me.

Is it at all revolutionary? Hardly seems like it to me 22 years later.

lance p.
Very good points.
I still think, though, given the current lineup, that they needed to allow for various levels. A 650hp baseline model isn't practical when you have 2 other trims above it.

I also, very much, agree that the cylinder shut-off struck me very odd when I read about it in this month's MotorTrend. Gone are the days of a true LSx V8 I suppose.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
joseibbo
7th Gear

I have to see one in person before I can make a final judgment. Not sure about the rear/tail lights. I like the fact that I must blip the throttle to match revs not the computer. I still think the C5 is the best looking of all time.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni
And the C4 looks 100% better.

Looks like they got those tail lights from the camaro parts bin.
The 'designers' need to understand what the Stingray was, before re-using the name on this design. Abysmal.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Read just about EVERY post and I echo the majority of sentiments such as, "back end looks way too much like a Camaro", "Viper clone", etc, etc.
I'm sure, just like when the first C4, C5, and C6 were announced, I didn't like them, but over time I'll grow to love them. As of right now I'm just not feeling it for the C7. I'll keep my C5 for now and maybe in the future I'll spring for a C6 GS !
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Johnnyduc916
Intermediate

I'm with Just Cruise!! my first thought was plain Viper.... I still like it But it could be better. I am the 1994 Hiland Toyota saleman of the year. My DEMO was a 1995 Celica GT Hatchback! What is this wurld coming to? I am more in love with my old Z06 "thank you"
Sure more is better, but that is not a Corvette Station Wagon.. SORRY guys!
I just love the car from the front and F-Side. Not the rear and rear window... In time once I see it 4 real. I'm sure to love itAny COLOR as long as it's RED
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsize

Seriously disappointing.
I may be headed to Porsche myself. The car looks like alot of other parts from different cars. Also you know have to wait until end of summer to buy one. Start building now it's not like your going to sale all those C6's on the lot.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Johnnyduc916
Intermediate

Default Why all the FUSS

Let the car SHOW us how it's DONE...... We need to here it and see it RUN the wheels off those other "FAST CARS" If the hard work was to be the BEST, it will SHOW when it RUNS
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM
zxmarekxz
1st Gear

I liked he c6, but didnt love the front end, almost bought it in 08.. This one I have to have, not first MY though, that scares me... looks great inside and out... cant help but see some gtr lines in it, but thats fine..

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vets2vette
I love Corvette's, C1, through C6, I think I'll keep my C5, and maybe buy a C6 Z06 Convertible, Remember to Wave!!
Good luck with finding a convertible Z.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Arachnyd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by BHP
Wait until you see the prices for the C7. I bought my '99 C5 for 35k. Bet it will be double. Also it amazes me why GM engineers don't ask for more customer input. A good design must reflect the customer's wants. Perfect example is the rear end of the C7.
Here's the piece your missing:

Whose the customer?

As a College Professor, and a Marketer for the automotive industry whose presented to GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota executives, here's what I knew going in:

The traditional corvette buyer is dying out. They need to appeal to a new younger group- however, the primary goal of the C7 was not going to be younger Americans, but rather the international crowd. The C7 had to be built to dominate internationally.

Quite frankly, while I don't know who you are, how old you are, what you do, or where you live, I venture to guess: you are NOT the customer.

The younger American buyers are performance centered and will follow the corvette as long as it maintains the same ultra-high-performance for a low cost proposition its had compared to import sports cars, and are easily impressionable on design changes. The much older "Corvette Purists" who are retirement aged americans will still have some features and options packages pointed straight at them, but GM knows they can stray quite a bit from offering precisely what these buyers want without losing the customer base while they focus on stirring up new market segments.

Last edited by Arachnyd; 01-14-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

it looks like a dodge viper in front camaro in back, dodge dash and a dodge 300m navigation, steering wheel could be from a china mini van and rims made by crager.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13