C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can spot a C6 a mile away at night from either end.. The C7 will be no different!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default The C7 will be MUCH more distinctive at night with the lights on than the C6!

I can spot a C6 a mile away at night from either end.. The C7 will be no different!

I've always been able to spot a C6 at distance on the road at night. The headlights when looking in the rear view mirror are easy to spot as are the tail lights given their 4 round fixtures. The Corvette has some very distinctive styling points that are obvious regardless of the time of day.

Last night I was driving home and came up behind a late model Mustang. What struck me was the trim around the tail lights were illuminted while the centers were not. I've seen them before but never really gave it a second thought. It looked as though the thin trim around the tail lights had a neon type bulb or fiber optic light within it and then it struck me.

Here are a couple pictures of the mustang tail lights at night for reference.

Given the new taillight layout of the C7, I can't help imagining the tail light trim illuminating similarly to the Mustang. We have already seen the rear end photo or render from Automobile Magazine that is reportedly from GM's marketing material. It clearly shows the C7 tail light trim as being illuminated (seperately from the centers) which would presumably be for the running lights like the Mustang. In the most recent image of the C7, it looked as though there were LED's inside the trim as opposed to Fiber Optics or neon as you can see the LED's in the image but the reality of that remains to be seen. It is however safe to assume that the trim will light up.

The Corvette has mainted 4 tail lights for many many years and regardless of the shape/generation, you could always tell it was a Corvette from behind if you knew your Vettes.

So it dawned on me last night that while the tail lights may no longer be round, the C7 will be by far the most distinctive Corvette and recognizable Corvette from behind. Especially at night. Instead of seeing 4 round red circles we will be looking at four unique shaped halo's until the turn signals come on. There will be no mistaking this new Vette.

Here is the most recent image of the C7 rear end. While this image shows the trim illuminated, I think it will do no justice to what it will really look like from the rear in the dark. There will be no mistaking the C7.

While there may be some ques that people will compare to the Camaro, the C7 will look nothing like a Camaro, especially at night!

I am one of the few that thinks the C6 tail lights are stupidly cheap feeling. I have removed them on more than one occasion on my C6 to install a back up camera, spoiler etc and it always amazed me that they are held in by one screw through a cheesy thin plastic tab. They feel like something worthy of my trailer, not an 80K Z06. Yea they are functional and above all else, they are very light but I always felt they could have had more quality feel like the headlights.

I guess what I am getting at is that for one, I am glad GM put some quality into the tail lighting on the C7.

I am glad that the look of the four seperate lights will be retained as it has been that way for many generations and is something that sets the Corvette apart from most domestic cars as well as other sports cars.

I am glad that these new tail lights will be 10 fold more modern than anything we have previously seen.

I am especially glad that these new tail lights and the way they will likely be illuminated will be unique and exclusive enough to make the Corvette unmistakeable from the rear regardless of day or night.

Yea, some will still say it looks Camaro, but I can guarantee you the Camaro enthusiasts will be jealous and if you put the C7 and Camaro side by side, there will be no mistaking which one is which regardless of whether its day or night.

Less than 7 hours to go!! I can't wait to see what surprises GM has in store for us. I think they will hit it out of the park with the C7.

Last edited by slief; 01-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I agree on almost all points. I hate the cheap flat looking rear end of the C5/C6 and the unimaginative round taillights. The only reason these people are grasping at straws and hoping against hope that they continue the round lights, C6 ques and bubble glass is because they don't want to admit their beloved C6 won't look so good anymore. When I had my C5 I did not think there was room for improvement. ( Except of course the hideous pop ups) Then when the C6 ZO6 arrived and I got it I realized how soft the C5 looked, and of course I never looked back. The same will happen here, though there will be some that will whine and bitch all the way - to the point to where they order one.

Quick Reply: I can spot a C6 a mile away at night from either end.. The C7 will be no different!