Swing and a miss!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

LOVE the front
LIKE the sides.
Coming up a few notches from hate on the rear.

As I'm seeing more views, and after watching the C&D video, it's already growing on me...and it's only been 14 hours since I first saw it.

I'm disappointed that it's only a 6 speed auto (I thought only the roof hatch and air filter were carried over?!)

But the Corvette was in need of an upgrade.

I went into the garage last night after watching the reveal, and still thought my monterey red C6 looked pretty good.
As I was driving into work in it this morning, I felt a sense of Corvette pride.

I'm on board with the C7.

Can't wait for the Bash.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. To get that kind of front under 60K is crazy. I just keep staring at it like WOW....And to feel that way from a pic, I've rarely felt that. Gonna be insane in person....

But that rear......(sighing)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Supersonic_ZR1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JPJR
LOVE the front
LIKE the sides.
Coming up a few notches from hate on the rear.

As I'm seeing more views, and after watching the C&D video, it's already growing on me...and it's only been 14 hours since I first saw it.

I'm disappointed that it's only a 6 speed auto (I thought only the roof hatch and air filter were carried over?!)

But the Corvette was in need of an upgrade.

I went into the garage last night after watching the reveal, and still thought my monterey red C6 looked pretty good.
As I was driving into work in it this morning, I felt a sense of Corvette pride.

I'm on board with the C7.

Can't wait for the Bash.
While hitting second then third and having my @$$ getting somewhat squirrely I too felt your "sense of Corvette pride" I LOVE my C6 and on board like I said with what GM has to bring with the up and coming Z06 & ZR1 models.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Anybody not liking this car is pretty much in denial.Like people that go see a musician they liked 30 years ago and want them to keep playing the same old songs forever. Give me a break. C7 is killer and the best yet by far, no two ways about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
The front is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. To get that kind of front under 60K is crazy. I just keep staring at it like WOW....And to feel that way from a pic, I've rarely felt that. Gonna be insane in person....

But that rear......(sighing)
Corvette folks bin sayin' for years that they hate a Camaro stern.
They don't listen?
Or they don't care?
I was actually shocked when I saw the rear.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM
MrKris
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I don't like the Camaroesque rear end!!!

I think round tail lights are iconic Corvette heritage. They did not have to change them. Here are just a few examples...

Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrKris
I think round tail lights are iconic Corvette heritage. They did not have to change them. Here are just a few examples...

Good post and so true!!! Has anyone mentioned the side marker lights in front of and behind the tires? The whole car is sharp angles and they put rounded marker light almost as if it's an afterthought! Geez...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKris

Ferrari went away from the 4 round lights on all of their new models. They only have two now.

If Corvette had gone to 2 round lights you guys would've pitched a fit at those too.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
LPT2011
Instructor

Default Wtf gm

ZERO NEED TO CHANGE THE TAILLIGHTS ... AND YES THEY LOOK ENOUGH LIKE A CAMARO & NOT WHAT CORVETTE HAS HAD SINCE THE BEGINNING ...

Makes the ***-end look like a Pontiac .... crazy2:
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LPT2011

What Pontiac?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Anybody not liking this car is pretty much in denial.Like people that go see a musician they liked 30 years ago and want them to keep playing the same old songs forever. Give me a break. C7 is killer and the best yet by far, no two ways about it.
Right, because the old songs are usually much better than the new songs....I recently went to a Rush concert, and everytime Geddy Lee said "here is one from our new album" 1/2 the crowd got up and went to the concession stand or restroom break...the old songs are what built their reputation, the new songs are just ok and don't get your pulse going.

I have yet to see one guy who owns a c5 or older say they like this car...The car's peformance is no doubt wordclass for the price. It's called 60 yrs of R&D!!! To me, a car should get your pulse going before you even turn the key, just looking at it parked. The c7 will turn heads and draw crowds for the next 2 yrs since it is a new thing on the road, but after that it no one will give it a 2nd look...kind of like C6s today. Would I keep it and enjoy if I won one on a gameshow or something...sure. Would I spend my hard earned money on one. No way!!!

No denial here, I would never buy one. The concept pics were way better than the finished product.

I'd buy a C6 before I would buy a C7.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LPT2011
ZERO NEED TO CHANGE THE TAILLIGHTS ... AND YES THEY LOOK ENOUGH LIKE A CAMARO & NOT WHAT CORVETTE HAS HAD SINCE THE BEGINNING ...

Early c1 didn't have the 4 round tail lights and neither did late c4s. I don't see what the uproar is about.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
Right, because the old songs are usually much better than the new songs....I recently went to a Rush concert, and everytime Geddy Lee said "here is one from our new album" 1/2 the crowd got up and went to the concession stand or restroom break...the old songs are what built their reputation, the new songs are just ok and don't get your pulse going.

I have yet to see one guy who owns a c5 or older say they like this car...The car's peformance is no doubt wordclass for the price. It's called 60 yrs of R&D!!! To me, a car should get your pulse going before you even turn the key, just looking at it parked. The c7 will turn heads and draw crowds for the next 2 yrs since it is a new thing on the road, but after that it no one will give it a 2nd look...kind of like C6s today. Would I keep it and enjoy if I won one on a gameshow or something...sure. Would I spend my hard earned money on one. No way!!!

No denial here, I would never buy one. The concept pics were way better than the finished product.

I own a c5 and I like the c7 a lot. It's the first base model that isn't boring looking since the c3
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

I owned a C5 and would buy this in a heartbeat. The C5 was good but it's old. You can make them dance but in the end, its using tech from 17-18 years ago. A lot has been happened in the meantime.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
snowman0920
Racer

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Sr.
I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait for more and more information to come out. I hope the HP is north of 450.

Very exciting.
Hang in there. There will be "cures" for that.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm on C5 #3, and I love this new C7. I'll have one of the mid-year refreshers parked next to my FRC when they dial up the hp and fix all the little issues the first years get.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Barry Hanna
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wait, we forgot something

The exhaust tips ... they were here somewhere. Here they are, wait are they for the C7? Just put them on, the reveal is in 10 minutes. Come on guys, you didn't want round tail lights but you then strike out not once or twice or even three times, but four big zero's out back? Ok, we'll fix that with aftermarket.

As for the reveal color, I get the red for impact, but the cyber grey mutes the discordant notes of the vents, etc. I like the look much more in the grey and would bet that black would be amazing. And ... we can take off the little stingray, but why don't you do it and save us the trouble. This is no more a Stingray than I am a soprano.

OK, I'll fix the appearance issues for about $2k, as for the rest, it's an engineering tour de force. With six million hours computer time on the combustion process alone, this engine and powertrain should be world class in every aspect. I may even risk the first-year production blues to own one on the strength of the technology.

Last edited by Barry Hanna; 01-14-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added comments.

Get notified of new replies

To Swing and a miss!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
rjenk
3rd Gear

As a new sports car model, it looks really good. As a Corvette, not so much. Looking at a side photo on CNNMoney, I could not tell it was a Vette. As some others have noted, if you saw the car without badging you would have a hard time coming up with it being a Vette.

Outside of it being a 2-seat sports car from Chevy, there is not a lot of homage to the namesake. That is the thing that I think bothers many owners/enthusiasts.

Personally, I thought the Red show car was not the best choice for showcasing it, especially with the black rims. Overall, not a fan of all of the carbon fiber, especially the entire roof and all of the dash. Was not a fan of the limited use on my C6. For any other color vehicle than black or gray, it takes away from the look. Did not like the way the paint color stopped at the top of the windshield instead of framing it down to the hood. And definitely not a fan of the rear. It looks more like the evolution of the Camero than the Vette. The use of Stingray is a stretch, especially in light of not having any styling cues relating back.

So, overall as a sports car...pretty good deal for the money. As the next generation Vette, not so much.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

If the new gen camaro came out I could see this rear being perfect for the camaro but something doesn't seem right about it on the vette. I don't care about round taillight but the rear just looks out of place on the C7. Trust me if I could afford one when they come out later this year I would get one. I love the rear of my c5 others hate it. Still want a c7 regardless and I don't mind taking a loan out of my 401k for it.

Last edited by Chicago1; 01-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

I strongly urge all to watch the autoweek walk around before giving an opinion particularly thoose indifferent or rejecting the design. You have to let the design esthetic influence you and you have to view without predjudice. The video gives you a sense of what it will look like in person.

Quick Reply: Swing and a miss!