Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Default Just wondering....

I wonder if the Corvette owners were having this much trouble back in '73?

With all the hand wringing over the new rear fascia design and comments like Corvette should always have a distinctive rear, it should never look like a Camaro, etc. It probably bears pointing out that we shared some similarity with our Camaro brethren back in 1973 on one of the previous Stingray's. In fact, it was much more similar to the Camaro back then in contrast to today's rear fascia design.

It's not precedent setting.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

The difference between then and now is real simple for anyone who bothers to actually check the years of the cars involved.

Back then, the Corvette had the round tail lights first, and the Camaro followed the Corvette design style. This time, Corvette has followed the Camaro, and is no longer the design leader. That is what many feel is a disappointment for what is supposed to be the flagship car in the Chevrolet line up.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I think we have discussed the tail light issue long enough now. They are not Camaro tail lights, They were designed specifically for the C7/Stingray. Just because they have slightly (and I use that loosely) shape to the Camaro, does not make them Camaro.

Now this may cause the ASPCA to get involved.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
The difference between then and now is real simple for anyone who bothers to actually check the years of the cars involved.

Back then, the Corvette had the round tail lights first, and the Camaro followed the Corvette design style. This time, Corvette has followed the Camaro, and is no longer the design leader. That is what many feel is a disappointment for what is supposed to be the flagship car in the Chevrolet line up.
Well first I don't think they look that much alike... So anytime a new Camaro comes out followed by a new Corvette, the designers must be extremely careful not to apply anything even remotely similar on the Vette from the Camaro?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

Or, easily overlooked by someone who a) likes the new design, and b) is not at all concerned about the change or the similarity because the overwhelming exterior design still says Corvette. The Corvette has a distinct personality and must evolve to survive. I'm not old enough to have been paying attention to such things at that time.

I've not seen anyone express their disappointment as eloquently as you have or even discuss it as such. Others are busy disparaging the designers and their level of creativity, intelligence or choice of vocation. They are busy posting derrogatory comments inclusive of misspelled Camaro derrivitives and using such grammatically aspiring phrases as "it sux".

If the change is causing discussion (positively or negatively), it is a win on some level. Everyone should be entitled to their opinion. Those that like it will likely continue to like it. Those that don't will either continue to dislike it or have a change of heart or mind. Either way, one side isn't likely to convince the other. My only goal was to illustrate (based on SOME of the arguments against it) that I've seen was that it isn't the first time that two designs will share some similarity and I can pretty much assure that it won't be the last.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90

With all the hand wringing over the new rear fascia design and comments like Corvette should always have a distinctive rear, it should never look like a Camaro, etc. It probably bears pointing out that we shared some similarity with our Camaro brethren back in 1973 on one of the previous Stingray's. In fact, it was much more similar to the Camaro back then in contrast to today's rear fascia design.

Paul,

The first one to the party is, well, the first one. The second one to the party is a copy cat. In 1973, the Corvette had had round taillights for 20 years and had it's rear end styling since 1968.

Then walks in the copy cat, the 1973 Camaro.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
mykalz71
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I don't understand the continued lamenting about the tail lights. I respect everyone's opinion but it is over. The C7 does not have round tail lights and GM is not going to change the design. If you don't like the tail lights, don't buy the car. I just hope these tail light threads come to an end quickly and we are not reading about this through the launch of the C8.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

haha - Great point! Thanks OP
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Paul,

The first one to the party is, well, the first one. The second one to the party is a copy cat. In 1973, the Corvette had had round taillights for 20 years and had it's rear end styling since 1968.

Then walks in the copy cat, the 1973 Camaro.
Much like the round lights copied from the '58 Impala? How far back do you guys want to play this game?

Round tail lights and even the C7 new tail lights are a CHEVROLET styling cue, not an exclusive-to-Corvette theme.

Could the C7 have rounds? Sure. Would that help distinguish it as a bold new Corvette? Not at all.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,576 Likes on 1,619 Posts

LOL!

My '73
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Much like the round lights copied from the '58 Impala? How far back do you guys want to play this game?

Round tail lights and even the C7 new tail lights are a CHEVROLET styling cue, not an exclusive-to-Corvette theme.

Could the C7 have rounds? Sure. Would that help distinguish it as a bold new Corvette? Not at all.
How about back to the 1957 Corvette SS (which most seem to conveniently over look) as shown in my post above?

Absolutely a Chevy theme - Camaro, Corvette, and even Traverse. Just a question of who leads and who follows.........

Agree this is a dead horse. Interesting that when a proponent of the new design brings it up yet again those who don't like it aren't supposed to voice an opinion..................

Last edited by tuxnharley; 01-24-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller

There was no Impala in 1953, the very first year that the Corvette had round taillights, thus it was impossible for the 1953 Corvette to copy the 1958 Impala's taillights. The taillights on a 1953 Chevrolet were a vertical oval with cathedral shaped red lights at the top, round red in the center and white cathedral at the bottom totally unlike the taillights on a 1953 Corvette..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
kon_gee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget the 89 Zr1 pulled heavily from the 70's Vega tail lights! No imagination at all.......they even put the screws in the same place!
They can call it what they want but a C7 is 100% Corvette!

Last edited by kon_gee; 01-24-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul, IMO it is impossible to compare anything pre-internet to today's apparent displeasure.

A. You didn't have the kind of/availability of competition that the 2014 Stingray has to go against back then.
B. You didn't have the variety of press coverage you have today.
C. You didn't have the vast internet and forums/blogs/magazine sites like we do today to see/hear all the whining over and over and over again.
D. People in the past would have had to whine verbally to the owners/dealers and you know that was a comparatively rare occurance.

On the other hand, you wouldn't have had all the positives being emphasized as much either.

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

More than enough of the tail light threads.

Get notified of new replies

To Just wondering....

Quick Reply: Just wondering....