Sponsored by:

So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Default So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option

From the press release:

"A six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L80 paddle-shift automatic is also available. It is optimized for use with Active Fuel Management and features a lower-inertia torque converter for improved shift quality and shift speeds. In addition, shift feel and shift points can be adjusted through the Driver Mode Selector."

I was hoping the C6.R would have inspired a DCT for the C7, but looks like a no go. Maybe we'll see it in a few years...or not.

Ah well, can't have everything. Looks great otherwise.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

unfortunately the DCT possibility went away a long time ago. maybe you just held out hope.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

A DCT transmission may be an option down the road. But really, the automatic in the C6 was fabulous. This one will likely be just as good.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 220 Posts

for now
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 PM
ckzo6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the A8? That was going to be a great option until the Dual clutch came out.

Last edited by ckzo6; 01-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 593 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

maybe for z06 zr1
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With great advances just about everywhere, the automatic transmission is a big letdown. For crying out loud my sons Volkswagen GTI even has a dual clutch DSG paddle shift transmission.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by King Richard
From the press release:

"A six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L80 paddle-shift automatic is also available. It is optimized for use with Active Fuel Management and features a lower-inertia torque converter for improved shift quality and shift speeds. In addition, shift feel and shift points can be adjusted through the Driver Mode Selector."

I was hoping the C6.R would have inspired a DCT for the C7, but looks like a no go. Maybe we'll see it in a few years...or not.

Ah well, can't have everything. Looks great otherwise.
I might be wrong, but I think the C6.R had a automated manual, also understand DCT are high maintenance, too bad they did not go through with the deal on the Aisin 8 sp, but I guess GM has their own 8 sp in the works. Could the 2014 6 sp be a no cost option ? like the 2005??
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Project_Opel52
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dual Clutch doesn't = Amazing

Don't believe me, go drive a C63.

I don't care if there ever is a DCT in the C7. I hope they get the 8 speed in there sooner than later.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

A torque converter auto can better handle the torque of the a high hp mill, from a durability standpoint. And given advancements in shift managment, I bet it'll perform quite decently.

Personally, I'd rather not have to change clutches every 15-20k miles. So I'm fine with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Monts
With great advances just about everywhere, the automatic transmission is a big letdown. For crying out loud my sons Volkswagen GTI even has a dual clutch DSG paddle shift transmission.
Your son's DSG doesn't have to handle any meaningful amount of torque.

Originally Posted by Project_Opel52
Dual Clutch doesn't = Amazing

Don't believe me, go drive a C63.

I don't care if there ever is a DCT in the C7. I hope they get the 8 speed in there sooner than later.
C63s have planetary automatics hooked to the motor via a wet clutch instead of a torque converter. That is NOT a DCT.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
RafaC5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will happen with time.

You should be buying the 7 speed anyway
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The 2005 C6 had an essentially-carryover four-speed automatic.
The 2006 C6 had an all-new six-speed automatic.

I'd advise anyone who wants an automatic C7 to strongly consider waiting a year. Unless you just Gotta Have It Now and don't mind having the old transmission. I know there were a lot of 2005 C6 buyers who were perfectly satisfied with their four-speeds and loved having a first-year C6.

.Jinx
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
I'd advise anyone who wants an automatic C7 to strongly consider waiting a year.
I was hoping for Aisin 8-speed at launch... Serious let-down as the rest of the car is so amazing.

Last edited by Raitzi; 01-14-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
mousemaster
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A dual clutch transmission was a must have for me. Without that option, I am going to pass on the new Corvette.

Frankly, I don't understand the reluctance by GM to produce the DCT. It is a great system. Almost every supercar has it and plenty of daily drivers as well. It doesn't suffer the fluid losses of an automatic. For those that prefer to manually shift their cars, well, you are trapped in old technology. It might be fun but it is like owning a rotary phone. Nostalgic but not the best choice.

The C7 is a collection of bragging rights by GM. They can't wait to tell us about carbon fiber, updated LT1 engines, and plenty of gadgets/gizmos. Yet, they leave out one of the most important improvements in decades; the dual clutch transmission.

For those that think there is some massive amount of engine power that prevents using the DCT, go do some research. That gear box is in Ferrari, Lambos, and McLarens. BMW uses it in their M models and Porsche has it across their entire line of cars. The gearbox is plenty strong and not anymore of a maintenance problem than an automatic.

Do you think an automatic is a great choice, well, don't take it to the track. That automatic won't last the rigors of high performance driving. Can you imagine the embarassment of showing up with an automatic to the track day? You could probably hide the gearshift with your helmet when you are in the paddock.

I owned a C3 for 13 years. I was hoping to pick up a C7 for track duty with the club. However, without a dual clutch I will search for something else. If Chevy lets it slip that there will be a DCT eventually, I might wait for it.

Chevy?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

The question of the transmission came up at the unveiling. The official stated that they are always looking at evolving technologies during the running of a particular model. Therefore, don't completely discount other options as the C7 runs.

Check out 1:55 in the link below:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ntcmp=features

Last edited by SouthernSon; 01-14-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RafaC5
It will happen with time.

You should be buying the 7 speed anyway

Manual is fine, paddle-shift is what I prefer.

After driving my C6 auto for a year an a half, then driving an F430 and Cayman S and seeing how much better the F1/PDK shift response is, I was hoping Chevy would come out with something a little fancier than their current manumatic solution. Like Jinx stated, GM is probably going to come out with something better, just at a later date.

Get notified of new replies

To So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option

Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mousemaster
A dual clutch transmission was a must have for me. Without that option, I am going to pass on the new Corvette.

Frankly, I don't understand the reluctance by GM to produce the DCT. It is a great system. Almost every supercar has it and plenty of daily drivers as well. It doesn't suffer the fluid losses of an automatic. For those that prefer to manually shift their cars, well, you are trapped in old technology. It might be fun but it is like owning a rotary phone. Nostalgic but not the best choice.

The C7 is a collection of bragging rights by GM. They can't wait to tell us about carbon fiber, updated LT1 engines, and plenty of gadgets/gizmos. Yet, they leave out one of the most important improvements in decades; the dual clutch transmission.

For those that think there is some massive amount of engine power that prevents using the DCT, go do some research. That gear box is in Ferrari, Lambos, and McLarens. BMW uses it in their M models and Porsche has it across their entire line of cars. The gearbox is plenty strong and not anymore of a maintenance problem than an automatic.

Do you think an automatic is a great choice, well, don't take it to the track. That automatic won't last the rigors of high performance driving. Can you imagine the embarassment of showing up with an automatic to the track day? You could probably hide the gearshift with your helmet when you are in the paddock.

I owned a C3 for 13 years. I was hoping to pick up a C7 for track duty with the club. However, without a dual clutch I will search for something else. If Chevy lets it slip that there will be a DCT eventually, I might wait for it.

Chevy?
Well said.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

There is no need for it. With Active Rev Matching on a manual transmission is the perfect solution it doesn't require the extra weight that dual clutch or some other automatic transmission comes with. It keeps the enjoyment there where paddles take all the enjoyment out of changing gears away. With rev matching it should decrease shift times and keep the rev's from dropping and closing the gap of the so called flappy paddle advantage.

I just hope there would be an off switch for it so we that can do it our selves can do so ourselves when we want to. Then when your in competition mode you can turn in on and not be at a disadvantage to those that have all ready switched to allowing the computer to do everything for them because they couldn't develop the skill.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Rybo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Your son's DSG doesn't have to handle any meaningful amount of torque.
Its not the point. If a $25k car has better technology something is wrong. I'm sure the engineers are looking into making a great and cost effective DCT, but they have missed the boat.

I doubt they will lose sales, but at the same time they are using outdated technology.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option