C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is your current opinion?
Badass, wicked, SICK!
45.16%
Like it overall, but I have a couple reservations
34.72%
Completely undecided
7.00%
I dislike more about it than I currently like
13.11%
Voters: 671. You may not vote on this poll

39 years old and under enter...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Sidepiper
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

32 here, have owned 4 c3's a c5 and c6, currently own a 68 and 09, Really like the car but the wheels shown at the reveal are weak, I think with the right wheels and a small aftermarket mod to the rear fascia will set this thing off!!!! One will be parked in my garage in Sept. but I will NOT deal with dealer mark ups!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
GarthVader
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 33 and I own a 72 coupe. I've been in love with Corvettes since I was about 3. My favorite Vettes are the C2,C3(68-72) C4 (91-96) C5 and C6.
I think everything about the car is appealing except the rear end. Not only do I despise the taillights, the whole shape of it is ugly. The new Stingray emblem looks childish to me. This car looks nothing like my Stingray. If anything, the C6 looks more like the 68-73 Stingrays. Enough negativity though. The front end and sides are very sharp and look menacing. The interior appears to be able to cater to the track monsters and the Sunday drivers alike. Smart move. I loved the presentation and I look forward to seeing Americas sports car pitted aginst everything else the world has to offer. I just hope it blows by them so fast that they can't focus on the rear end for long.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JWell
31, I have a GS and honestly I was hoping for more HP. If I get a C7 it would have to be a Z06/ZR1 or whatever they come out with.
I think something people are going to need to try and grapple on to, is this motor is not shining because of peak hp numbers. Though, they still have NOT released PEAK hp numbers, its the torque curve due to the variable cam timing that is going to be the winner.

In GT5, this car feels like it has the torque of the LS7...the tranny, mixed with the low end grunt this motor will have, it's going to be the difference. Don't focus on the HP figure...wait til performance numbers come out, and wait til the Nurburgring time comes out...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Kimera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

22 w/ 08 C6 -- Hate the rear it just doesn't seem right... I will get use to it I guess. The rest is spot on. I am mostly disappointed with the new HP #'s. I feel like 20 HP isn't in the realms of competition out there. Should have been minimum 470 but honestly about 500. They better come hard with the Z model. I will probably wait for one of them
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm 32 and before the C5, I found vettes to be ugly, poor performing and *THE* stereotype of American cars; straight line warriros.

I currently own a C5Z and love it but it's getting old so I was either looking at a C6Z or a new C7.

Before this reveal I was basically waiting for the C7 to come out, drive down the prices of the C6Z. After seeing the C7, I'm very much considering dropping a deposit down.

I just need to see some laptime comparisons...
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

23 here and just got rid of my 08. I will be buying a C7! My only issues right now are the fact that we still don't know the final performance numbers.
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Agreed!!!

One thing we should consider is, if you look at the C6 base vs Z06...the base is more catered to the older/cruiser crowd. The chrome trim in the front of C7, maybe stingray emblem, maybe steering wheel, etc may go on a Z06. We can hope.

My ONLY dislikes were the chrome trim in the grill and that stingray emblem...both EASY fixes for me...they'll be gone. Nothing else really spoke to me in a negative way. The car is pretty badass...
I agree about the chrome trim....can only hope.

Honestly I'm probably going to end up getting one. I'm sure the rear will grow on me and will probably like the entire color scheme of the car more in white to have a stark contrast with the black vents. Call me crazy, but most who want "color matched" vents are the over 39 crowd, lol. To me, nothing looks worse than color matching everything on a car.

Price and performance can never be beaten in a Corvette, and that will likely be what pulls me in again. The only other cars that I'd really want to be looking at are 40k more (100k range)

Right now I'd definitely be going with a 7 speed manual. Can't even believe they stuck with the A6 in the current gen. Was really hoping for a true ***-kicking auto.

Certainly looking forward to specs on this car. The horsepower doesn't concern me in the least. It could be 400hp and it would be fine. Drop a blower on it and call it a day. I want better steering feel, want the car to FEEL lighter and smaller, and want better throttle feel. These are all things that my car suffers from. The car could be slower for all I care...it could do a 12.5 1/4 and I'd be fine with it as long as it felt good and looked good. Power can come so, so easily in the aftermarket.

Worse case scenario.... There will be tons of Z06's hitting the market from people moving up, and I could probably pick one up cheap to upgrade my 07, lol.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 01-13-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM
paul310
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see how gm is targeting the younger buyers. The black wheels and race inspired seats prove this. However, I'm 14 and overall, the car doesn't impress me at all. The design is too complicated, and doesn't recall enough corvette history. The exterior seems too much like their trying to reinvent the corvette. Maybe its because i like classic corvettes, but I think there needs to be a better balance of history and cutting edge tech in the car. In 10 years when i'm hopefully able to buy a vette, this won't be it.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
belmor
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 33 and have had 5 Vettes, all in all I am disappointed. I LOVE the interior on the C7, hate the rear end and the horribly tacky vents and grilles on EVERY DAMN body panel...looks like a fast and furious wannabe 12 years later.

~B~
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm 25. I think it looks awesome.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by belmor
I am 33 and have had 5 Vettes, all in all I am disappointed. I LOVE the interior on the C7, hate the rear end and the horribly tacky vents and grilles on EVERY DAMN body panel...looks like a fast and furious wannabe 12 years later.

~B~
Functional vents are fine and they will aid in performance. Useless vents like 3000GT as an example, are not.

Ultimately, they're trying to make a SPORTS car. The competition is tough. Need to bring your A game and step up on all fronts.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Update: Called my wife (27) in to get her thoughts on it. She loves high performance cars, loves my corvette and has owned a Formula WS6, XLR-V and '12 SRT8 Charger while we've been married.

Her thoughts are summed as follows....

LOVES the exterior...."super sporty"
Immediately said "wow....that's a camaro butt" having never heard or seen me say that.
Comment about the interior was "well they didn't try to do much there, did they?" and thought it looked surprisingly plain.
Thought the buttons looked incredibly cheap.
Loved the sport seats as much as she loved the exterior.
I showed her the stingray emblem to which she said "....why would they do that?" and also scoffed at the thought of calling it a stingray.
Also was shocked that they couldn't afford to detail a car on it's public reveal (as evidenced by the swirl marks and holograms). She has picked up a lot from me and my detailing, lol.

So anyway, she would absolutely take one.

Those are the thoughts of a 27 year old female who loves sports cars/muscle cars.

She was more into it than I am currently, but we're both excited to go see it in person. Even though I'm not thrilled with it, currently, we'll, in all likelihood, have one by the end of the year.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 01-13-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

27 here. My current C5 is my first and only Corvette (do NOT plan on it being my last!), but that's due to income priorities and not lack of desire.

I picked "Like it overall but have some reservations". I would say my enthusiasm level is probably a bit between that and the first super positive option.

I wish the CF roof was painted like the rest of the CF on the car. The ZR1 can pull it off because it is king of the hill. I know in this case it is functional, but growing up in central FL I saw way too many economy cars with fart cannon exhausts and some CF (sometimes fake sometimes real) being billed as race cars to really appreciate the look. It functions just as well with paint as it does w/ the clear coating (I assume they're using the same coating as on the ZR1 parts to protect against discoloration). I don't consider this anywhere near a deal stopper though.

The only other reservations I have are more of personal disagreement with the direction they decided to go in general.

Wheel sizes are getting out of control. Does a small light weight sportscar really need 20s (Z51)? Looks like the front 19s have plenty of clearance for the brake rotors. 18s of similar design and construction would save rotating mass and lower tire costs.

MT's first look is reporting 3rd overdrive gear in the 7 speed manual. I had hopped they would leave the 7th at around 0.5:1 where 6th is now (at least on my base geared C5) and shorten 1-4 or 1-5. Looks like they did do this on the Z51, so I guess best of both worlds.

All in all if I was in the market it would definitely have my attention. My original plan was to save a few years and get a C6Z06. Used vs. new that would obviously be the less expensive option, and it will be the higher performance option as well. My mildly modded C5 is already fast enough for the street though, so I could definitely see giving up some all out performance for a newer car with more modern features.

It's a great time to be an auto and Corvette enthusiast!

Last edited by CPhelps; 01-13-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24 year old z06 owner here. Like it overall. Not sure about the instrument cluster, too much digital for me. And the rear end isn't quite right to me. sick car overall though. i want.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

39 here and I have a C5 since 2006.

Love it. Love the long hood lines and interior. Back seems a little big but paint scheme will tone that down some.

I will keep the C5 and daily drive the C7.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

31 and had a c5z and a c6z, gonna be damn hard to wait for another 2 years for a c7z to come out
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I need to see it in person.

Actually, I need to DRIVE it in person...

I like some of the specs.. the carbon fiber .. the aluminum ... in a base model.. the seats look interesting..

Not sure I like the body.. really unsure about the rear... Wish they'd kept the split window.. somehow.. perhaps frosted glass where the split would be, without sacrificing the visibility too much? Wish they hadn't made the tail lights look so much like the Camaro...

Have to see it in person to know for sure how I really feel about it..

Just got a "new to me" 2008 C6.. won't be in the market for anything else for at least 10 years .. I keep my cars forever. And, by then, everyone will be excited for the C8.

Get notified of new replies

To 39 years old and under enter...what do you think?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

The C6 never grew on me but I fell in love with the LS7 so I stuffed one in my C5Z.

The C7 already got my attention and I havent seen one in person yet... GM did great on this one!!
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

31 years old here. Owned a C5 when the C6 came out and now have a C6.

WHen the C6 came out, I still really liked my C5, but deep down liked the C6 a bit more. I feel like it might be the same with the C7, which is a compliment to the design.

I think they did a great job in advancing the design of the corvette to modern times along with keeping enough of the heritage. I Love the front. I love the rear. I have mixed opinions from the side. When you see it, you certainly think...Corvette.

I think if you think it looks ANYTHING like a camaro, you should give up on cars...seriously.
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

These comments seem much more in line with what I was thinking. It must be all the old guys saying the negative stuff. I guess you can't please everybody. I'm 28 with an 08z by the way.

Quick Reply: 39 years old and under enter...what do you think?