Sponsored by:

some good things i've gathered and the big questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Default some good things i've gathered and the big questions

there is a lot of info out now, from what i've seen there are some good things (the mood around here is pretty rough so i thought i'd look for sunshine):

1) the suspension looks essentially identical to c5/c6, though they claim all new parts. this is a good thing, meaning the basic bones of the car (roll axes, etc.) will probably be fine. there is no room in the bushings in the photos i've seen for any of that genius 'toe change' bushing BS dumb engineers keep trying and failing with. bottom line, i expect if the nannies can be shut off, this car can probably be made to handle well with bolt on parts.

2) magnesium framed sport seats with nice leather... that's pretty cool.

3) i personally think the car looks real nice...

4) the 7 speed actually has shift gates and is a real manual - i was very worried by early reports about multiple gears per gate! i worry about the gearing though. the c5z or c6 z51 was the last vette with decent gearing. they said 3 overdrives.... that may not bode well. we'll see. the other thing that does not bode well is a 'zombie engineer apocalypse' term i saw mention of: 'dual mass flywheel'....if true, that concept has been an abject and total failure in every sportscar it has ever been attempted in. Just put a light weight aluminum flywheel in it and realize its a sports car please.

5) they *say* the active handling can be turned off.... and there is a ***. if true, that's great. but they said that about the c6 and it was not true. bottom line, i don't want any 'modes' except 'the car does exactly what i tell it, no exceptions' mode. we'll see. hopefully you can set the car to ALL nannies completely and totally off, and it will stay that way forever unless you move the **** again. by that I mean an absolutely straight, 100% consistent and set ratio of steering wheel input to tire, throttle pedal to throttle blade, brake pedal pressure to calipers, fully engaged limited slip, etc.: absolutely no software running any other routine modifying the drivers' inputs.

6) the stiffer aluminum/magnesium frame... that's awesome

7) the brakes look to be an upgrade over the c6, and a HUGE upgrade over the c6z abominations. and having trans and diff coolers is great.

8) it looks like the diff may be interchangeable with a c6. if so, the electronic limited slip, which is 99.9999999999999999999% sure to be a complete and total deal-killing disaster, should be able to be swapped out. of course, they are also talking doomsday zombie electrical engineer apocalypse phrases like 'fully integrated electronics' which means the car may just be a paperweight, with all this crap tied together using common circuits and communication between the ebcm, ecm and other modules. if so, forget it all; if that is true the whole car is nothing more than a disposable waste of money that will depreciate to zero at the end of warranty and be worthless except as a street queen the whole time. we'll see.

9) even though i'm a pretty hard core performance guy, the removable roof is nice to have.

10) as far as the size and weight go, this car is just not a sports car. it is a jag or mercedes competitor now. too big, too heavy. small tires. lots of frills. but it does look very nice, and i expect the build quality to be outstanding. it will probably be a really nice street cruiser.

i wish that part were different. a 2700 pound, 7/8 scale version of this car with limited electronics would be my first choice!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The car will be a big improvement. It was much needed. I'm personally excited for it. I never got that way with the C6 until the Z06.

Quick Reply: some good things i've gathered and the big questions