Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Match?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
You don't own a PC so what are you doing, posting on this forum on your smart phone? You can thank us for that too by the way.
I don't know who you think are actually working on semiconductor process technology, material science, mobile software architecture, etc., but it's hardly a bunch of kids. Most of the folks we have to thank for smart phones have been out of college for a _long_ time.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

...You don't own a PC so what are you doing, posting on this forum on your smart phone? You can thank us for that too by the way. ...
There is so much more out there than just PCs, that my iMac doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. I thought you loved "tech" so much...

Also, here I am trying really hard to see things from your point of view, and then you go and claim responsibility for smart phones, too. It probably won't surprise you when I tell you that, when I bought my last phone, I told the sales "man" that since I don't play games and I already own a couple of computers, a couple of iPods, and a couple of cameras...all I really wanted was a phone that is so "dumb" that when I flip it open, drool should run out of it...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I'll take the Vette over the Miata any day.
This thread sure has gone way beyond the original "rev match" subject, and it's been good reading!

On the subject of Vette over Miata, I have both a '00 FRC and a "slightly" modified '99 Miata (LS1 conversion). This makes for an interesting comparison since both cars have essentially the same drivetrain and gearing (taking into account differences in tire diameters). The Miata doesn't have ABS or power steering (I deleted that as part of the conversion), and having those two technologies makes a big difference, especially on the track. Autocrossing the Miata is nimble and "tossable", but it's also somewhat nervous in a high speed sweeper and coming out of a corner. The Vette is wider, heavier, and transitions slower, but gets the power down earlier coming out of a corner. The result? No doubt, being 600 lbs lighter give the Miata the edge, but in outright handling they seem to be about the same, just with different strengths.

On a road course the Miata is slower. The weight difference is minimized by the fact that ALL corners on a road course are sweepers compared to an autocross course, and the Miata is hampered by tire size, those huge meats on a Vette just generate grip the Miata can't match. If I was to make the Miata a track car and put 275s on it I bet they'd be neck and neck.

So, there you have it. Two cars, BOTH with huge amounts of character, but in different ways and with different amonts of tech.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
.... If I was to make the Miata a track car and put 275s on it I bet they'd be neck and neck.

Local guy in the Nashville area has a boosted Miata with tires so wide that a third would not fit between them (a little exaggeration). No one could keep up with him on the Nashville Super Speedway (before it closed). He is a fast, good driver.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
Do you have or turn it off every restart or how is it selected/ deselected.
I checked this morning and if you turn it off, it stays off even after you restart the car. So really, you only have to set it once and then never change it again. (Assuming the C7 follows the 370Z setup)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Subw00er
LMAO! Actually I was referring to the plight of the sports car enthusiast in an electronic age, but yes, thats pretty much what my problem is!

Well, that and they have to make it pretty, but thats another thread.

BTW, on the topic of ABS I don't think I ever said I didn't want it on my car, I actually said its a good idea on a street car. What I was saying is that I dont use it on the track because I am anti-nanny. Using it on track is basically cheating because it doesn't take any skill, and for all of you who ABS-brake on the track, you're a bunch of weenies! Using it on the street in a panic stop is obviously great!

You cant compare F1 to enjoyable street or track driving because they aren't doing it for fun, they're doing it to make money and that's a whole other ballgame. .01 sec shifts may matter in a race as tight as F1, but on the street in a street-prepped car? Come on give me a break! Even motogp and rally is lame now with sequential shifters and the like. I think they should ban all that technology. Then watching F1 and high paying car racing wouldn't be so boring and a driver would be rewarded for their entire skill set again.
Dude, you are out there! You must not spend much time on a road course if you did you would change you mind about technology. Lets just go back to bias ply tires, 4 speed transmissions with no synchros,no splitters, diffusers or rear mounted wings, carbon fiber, sway bars, you get the picture. Technology is what racing is all about and if you think that the guys that drive professionally could not drive the older racer cars, well sir you are sadly mistaken. P.S. I am an old guy at 58 and I have raced in all worlds with and with out your so called nannies and I will take the tech world.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
There is so much more out there than just PCs, that my iMac doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. I thought you loved "tech" so much...

Also, here I am trying really hard to see things from your point of view, and then you go and claim responsibility for smart phones, too. It probably won't surprise you when I tell you that, when I bought my last phone, I told the sales "man" that since I don't play games and I already own a couple of computers, a couple of iPods, and a couple of cameras...all I really wanted was a phone that is so "dumb" that when I flip it open, drool should run out of it...
mac.
Now you have me feeling bad for you. No wonder why you hate the idea of technology so much. Sheesh.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-31-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Just because you take a pass on the latest technology does not mean that you hate it or you are missing out on the latest and greatest. For example, artificial insemination is at the forefront of technology. Or you can do it the old fashioned way, so long as you are able - does that make you some kind of fool?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

mac.
Now you have me feeling bad for you. No wonder why you hate the idea of technology so much. Sheesh.
Oh devil, stop...your words are like knives.

And thanks ever so much for Vista and Windows 8, too...

Last edited by 1analguy; 02-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev Match?